My theme doesn't work right in Live Writer. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, this tool is awesome.  I enjoy using it very much, and with the MovableType API, it integrated into my current blog engine (Serendipity)... SNAP!

But I have a minor gripe, and it is this:

The "glitch" is on my end, I'm sure, as everything else in the program works right.  But, in my theme, the post's text is confined to the rightmost "box" (where the background is lightened and fuzzified).  You can see what it "should" look like, here:  http://blog.autodmc.org/

It's not a showstopper, but it does make my content really hard to read whist I'm writing.  And adding images are a bit wonky (I add the image, align it right, resize it to what I want, realign it to "inline").

So... what do I need to add to my blog's theme code to mark to Live Writer that it should put the text into the actual content area instead of over the whole template background image?
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:46 AM

All replies

• I can probably explain how to fix this by hand, but it involves knowledge of HTML.  How familiar are you with HTML?
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:34 PM
  • I'm quite confortable with HTML... I usually use a template for a base to save me from the framework code, but this template was quite heavily modified for myself.

I was assuming it was a DIV ID or something that Live Writer looks for to decide where to put the various bits of the editor interface... I just don't know what it's looking for.

If you could tell me what I need to update to get it work, I'd be very grateful.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Go to:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\blogtemplates\<id>\

There should be 2 files in this folder.

The one that is smaller in size is the template we use when you are in edit mode.  The one larger in size is the one we use when in preview mode.  If your preview mode is also broken you will need to edit that as well, otherwise you really only need to edit the 'edit mode' file.

When you open it up, you will notice it is just a normal HTML file.  There are 2 important tokens that we add to it though:
    {post-title} and {post-body}, you will just have to edit the HTML around them to put them in the correct place.  As you editing the file, you should be able to view it in any browser, you don't have to open up WLW to verify it is working. 

Once you are done, you should be good to go.

If you run into any problems let me know at bturner@microsoft.com

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 1:22 AM