Home Server Computer Will Not Power Down ?? RRS feed

• Question

• I have never had this problem befor. When i shut down WHS from the server console or right from WHS desk top. It seems every thing is going ok, i can hear the drives powering down and at the end I hear a click, but the power light stays on and the fans keep running. If i am loged in locally I can still see the desk top back ground with the mouse pointer there, but everything is frozen and i have to use the power button to power off!!!  Any help is very much appreacheted.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 9:39 PM

All replies

• If you leave it for over 20 minutes does it power down then?  What else after Windows Home Server have you installed? It could be service is looking for another program during shutdown.

If you disconnect the network cable before shutdown will it power down then?

If you do a restart - does it do it or does it hang on shutting down? 

If you boot in safe mode will the system shutdown?

Are you BIOS settings in order? perhaps the CMOS backup battery has gone flat and you are back to default settings without APM enabled.

--
    Monday, March 8, 2010 2:27 PM
  • Hi Al

Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me so long to reply (work and stuff)
    You asked: If you leave it for over 20 minutes does it power down then? No
                  :If you disconnect the network cable before shutdown will it power down then? No
                  :If you boot in safe mode will the system shutdown? No

Only things I have added are add in's and have not touched any settings for them, see list below.

1. adminime
    2. HomeServerSMART.1.0.1.21
    3. InstallHomeServerLogpoint
    4. RouterControl
    5. Tab Scroller
    6. WHSDiskManagement.1.0.9.8

WHS is a new install (Just bought it and did all the updates) with a new Asus MB and Intel CPU.

The computer restart fine and has no problems there.

When I start the computer and wait at the login screen I get a warning that says, one service or driver failed to load and to look in event viewer. When I look in event viewer there in nothing there saying there is a problem!!!
    In advance I thank you or anyone else who can give me a hand with this.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Hi,

Did you check your BIOS settings?  I think you may not have APM turned on in your BIOS.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:01 AM
  • Hi Al

Well Al, I changed almost all the settings in APM, Tried shutting down about 30 times.
    Still no luck, any other ideas. 

Do you think this could be the problem
    When I start the computer and wait at the login screen I get a warning that says, one service or driver failed to load and to look in event viewer. When I look in event viewer there in nothing there saying there is a problem!!!

Again in advance I thank you or anyone else who can give me a hand with this.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:07 AM