File Sharing Issue RRS feed

• Question

• When I open windows explorer and navigate to the workgroup where I want to take a file from a shared document and copy it to the server I get asked for a username and password with the XP Pro clients. However, on all the other computers I can double click on their computer icon and open them just fine. To make it even more confusing, I can do the above process on any of the client computers with no problem. It's only the server that asks me to enter the credentials, of which none have been created on the XP Pro machines. Any help is appreciated.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:54 PM

All replies

• When I open windows explorer and navigate to the workgroup where I want to take a file from a shared document and copy it to the server I get asked for a username and password with the XP Pro clients. However, on all the other computers I can double click on their computer icon and open them just fine. To make it even more confusing, I can do the above process on any of the client computers with no problem. It's only the server that asks me to enter the credentials, of which none have been created on the XP Pro machines. Any help is appreciated.

Probably because you are sharing your XP shares to everyone, while WHS isn't set up like that (that requires using the Guest account).  You should set up a user account on your server that matches the logon name (not user name) and password on your client to allow seemless access to your server.  If you already have an account set up on your server and are still having problems, see the FAQ post:  How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested for details on how to fix it.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 11:31 PM