none
Unable to sign in from NNTP Bridge today. RRS feed

• Question

• An error dialogue appears while signing in from NNTP Bridge:

Error Message: Network error. Please check the network connection and try again.

Error Code: 0x80048820

Error Detail: PPCRL_REQUEST_E_AUTH_SERVER_ERROR

Extend Error Code: 0x80048406

What happened? Can you guys sign in NNTP Bridge properly?

Is this caused by my ISP or something wrong with the NNTP Bridge server?

It was OK yesterday.

Thanks.

Monday, June 17, 2013 11:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Doug!

Can we communicate directly? In the meantime I will explain, what the Problem is (at least from my Point of view):

- Microsoft has stopped the (old) LiveID SDK 1.2 authentication Schema, which is used by the Community-Bridge and the (original) Microsoft-Bridge

- There is a replacement called "Live Connect (with Identity API)": http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/live/ff621314.aspx

To sucessfully authenticate in your web-Service the Community-Bridge Needs to pass an "authentication-token" to the MSDN web-service. This token was previously retrived with the old LiveID-SDK 1.2.

As far as I see, the web-service will still function. Only the user-authentication does not work. So the easiest way is to just replace this authentication.

EDIT: Igor has provided the link to the new Client-SDK (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/live/hh826529.aspx). So I just need to replace the Login-Component! But the MSDN-Forums needs to provide a "ClientId" which must be used to log in...

I think we should try to solve this Problem and allow Access through the Bridge in the future...

If you are interrested in a solution and if you want to have sme changes in the Community Bridge, then please feel to contact me.

Jochen Kalmbach (MVP VC++)

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:35 PM

All replies

• I, too, have been getting the same error message today.

Ron

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:14 AM
  • Me too.

---------------------------
    Community Forums NNTP Server
    MyMailadress@domain.tld fail to log-on!
    Error Msg: Network error. Please check the network connection and try again.

OK   
    The Message come from teh tool for the authentication. MSFT had switch off the tool for the answer foren, maybe they switch off both?

Winfried

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:09 AM
  • Are this the first outcome of the redesign?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/announce/thread/e3074355-a807-45f5-b60f-1787aa9f484e

I hope they will not stop the nntp access...

Christian 

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:34 AM
  • Same here. :(

Community Forums NNTP Server
    myemail@address fail to log-on!
    Error Msg: Network error. Please check the network connection and try again.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:08 AM
  • I'm getting that same error message from the Bridge. :-(

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:04 AM
  • I got the same error as Winfried. Any informations about the duration or cause of the error from anyone at MS?

Regards

Norbert

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:08 AM
  • I don't get that error, but I already have the bridge running. Then again, when I start my newsreader, I get "Transfer timeout". I've sent a mail to fissues, as that seems to be the proper procedure these days.

I take for granted that the NNTP bridge will survive the forum revamp, despite the changes to Answers, since they have made no accouncement around it.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:34 AM
  • It seems that the LiveID-authentication was dropped... it might have the same reason, that the Answers-Bridge are now not working... but they knew about the Problem and it seems that MSDN had ignored it...

I am willing to implement a different authentication schema, if needed....

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:38 PM
  • It seems that the LiveID-authentication was dropped... it might have the same reason, that the Answers-Bridge are now not working... but they knew about the Problem and it seems that MSDN had ignored it...

This is just so disappointing, after all the effort that you and others put into the NNTP bridge.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Deployment of the new MSDN forums design has not begun yet. If there is an issue with NNTP bridge access to MSDN (or TechNet) forums right now, it is unrelated to the new MSDN Forums design. 

In any case, there is nothing in the forums redesign (due out later today) that should change NNTP bridge access in any way.

I cannot say whether Answers platform has made changes that may be related to what you are seeing. They deploy and operate completely independent of MSDN Forums.

I can make sure the MSDN Forums support team are looking into whether there is anything they see that could result in the problem you are reporting.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Hi Doug! Thanks for your Response.

It seems that the authentication schema, the *Microsoft* Bridge had used is no offline (passport). ANd because the Community-Bridge uses the same component (LiveID-SDK), it also does not work.

So neither the Microsoft-Bridge nor the Community-Bridge is currently able to authenticate.

As I said: I am willing to modify the COmmunity-Bridge to use a new authentification schema, if needed!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Deployment of the new MSDN forums design has not begun yet. If there is an issue with NNTP bridge access to MSDN (or TechNet) forums right now, it is unrelated to the new MSDN Forums design. 

In any case, there is nothing in the forums redesign (due out later today) that should change NNTP bridge access in any way.

I cannot say whether Answers platform has made changes that may be related to what you are seeing. They deploy and operate completely independent of MSDN Forums.

I can make sure the MSDN Forums support team are looking into whether there is anything they see that could result in the problem you are reporting.

I don't care about whether the new design should pay the price, I just want to see that the NNTP bridge works fine as ever.
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:58 PM
  • Any update on this, Doug?

For all it's (many) faults, the old interface was a lot more tech-friendly than the new one - to the point that I *really* need the NNTP bridge to be able to know WTH is going on in the forums I moderate!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:51 AM
    Answerer
  • It's working for me now. This is posted from the NNTP bridge.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:52 PM
  • It's working for me now. This is posted from the NNTP bridge.

I'm still getting the error message. :-(

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:59 PM
  • I'm still getting the error message. :-(

I am too.

--

SC Tom

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:03 PM
  • If you were already logged in and didn't reboot or shut the bridge down, it's now working again, if you reboot or start the bridge again, it's not allowing authentication and gets the same error as the last 2 days.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:10 PM
  • If you were already logged in and didn't reboot or shut the bridge down, it's now working again, if you reboot or start the bridge again, it's not allowing authentication and gets the same error as the last 2 days.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine

OK, so the "fix" was only temporary, I guess... :-(

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:19 PM

Indeed. On this machine I have been logged in on the bridge since it last rebooted. But yesterday, my newsreader would just stall when it tried to retrieve anything from the bridge. So I assumed that it was a general fix. Or there was two problems, and now there is only one.

Drat! At home, I rebooted last night, so I will not be able to use the bridge at home.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Hi Doug!

Can we communicate directly? In the meantime I will explain, what the Problem is (at least from my Point of view):

- Microsoft has stopped the (old) LiveID SDK 1.2 authentication Schema, which is used by the Community-Bridge and the (original) Microsoft-Bridge

- There is a replacement called "Live Connect (with Identity API)": http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/live/ff621314.aspx

To sucessfully authenticate in your web-Service the Community-Bridge Needs to pass an "authentication-token" to the MSDN web-service. This token was previously retrived with the old LiveID-SDK 1.2.

As far as I see, the web-service will still function. Only the user-authentication does not work. So the easiest way is to just replace this authentication.

EDIT: Igor has provided the link to the new Client-SDK (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/live/hh826529.aspx). So I just need to replace the Login-Component! But the MSDN-Forums needs to provide a "ClientId" which must be used to log in...

I think we should try to solve this Problem and allow Access through the Bridge in the future...

If you are interrested in a solution and if you want to have sme changes in the Community Bridge, then please feel to contact me.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:35 PM
  • http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/live/hh826529.aspx

purports to describe how to do Live Connect from a regular desktop application.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:03 PM
  • Windows 8 and an App-Store App? Who in his sane mind runs Windows 8? App-store app? That sounds awfully complicated for something that should be simple. The second option sounds much better in my ears.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:05 PM
  • Hi Igor! Thanks for the link! Could not find this.... If there is a desktop-version, then I will just need to replace the Login-Component, which is very simple... but the MSDN-forum needs to provide a "Client-Token"...

Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:46 AM
  • - Microsoft has stopped the (old) LiveID SDK 1.2 authentication Schema, which is used by the Community-Bridge and the (original) Microsoft-Bridge

What I do not understand is why this has coincided with the arrival of the new UX, or is this just a coincidence?

If this change is not required by the new UX, why has the old authentication scheme been stopped?

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:28 AM
  • It has nothing to do with the new UX... also the Live-ID-Authentication is not part of the MSDN-Team...

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:30 AM
  • As Jochen says, authentication via Live is broken. And this tool is needed by folks who supply the fixes to questions asked by Microsoft customers. Please, make a fix a priority.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:46 AM
  • As Jochen says, authentication via Live is broken. And this tool is needed by folks who supply the fixes to questions asked by Microsoft customers. Please, make a fix a priority.

Barb Bowman

Indeed, the Bridge is needed now more than ever, because of the poor redesign of the MSDN/TechNet/Microsoft forums.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:36 PM
  • - Microsoft has stopped the (old) LiveID SDK 1.2 authentication Schema, which is used by the Community-Bridge and the (original) Microsoft-Bridge

What I do not understand is why this has coincided with the arrival of the new UX, or is this just a coincidence?

If this change is not required by the new UX, why has the old authentication scheme been stopped?

+1 I have the same query. I don't think it's just a coincidence.
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Hello all,

I wanted to jump in, introduce myself and answer a few questions.

First, My name is Jennifer P and I am a Community Engagement Manager here at Microsoft. I am rather new to the role so if you have not heard of me, that would be why.

I just made a post regarding the MSDN Bridge here. This should give some insights into why the bridge stopped working. It was not related to the new UX changes and it is affecting Microsoft Community (aka Microsoft Answers) as well.

I want to apologize for the lack of communication around this issue, the fact that it affected these forums took us quite by surprise. 

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Hi Doug!

Hello Jochen!

Just wanted to make sure that while I am not sure if there were any other changes that would prevent this solution from happening, I did indeed see this post and the information has been passed along. 

Thank you for all you have done for the community, it is appreciated.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:13 PM
  • The NNTP bridge unexpectedly stopped working on 6/17 (as you can see if you look at the timestamp for the first post in this thread).  It stopped for the reasons that Jochen explained above (i.e., the authentication protocol used by NNTP bridge was discontinued).  Discontinuation of support for the authentication protocol came as a surprise to the MSDN Forums team.  We apologize

Deployment of the new forums release, began late on 6/18 and was unrelated.

The MSDN Forums team did not plan to end availability of the NNTP bridge at this time.  Use of NNTP bridge is now blocked by this this authentication issue so we have to assess the best course of action.  We will post an update back into this thread when there is new information.

@Jochen - You asked if we could communicate directly.  Sure.  My Linked-in URL is posted in my MSDN Profile.  Please send me a request and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Doug    

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:34 PM
  • Hi Doug!

Could you predict how much percent is the possibility of making the NNTP Bridge access with the new "Live Connect"? Give us a little hope at least please. That is the only hope.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 12:36 AM

Barb Bowman

Indeed, the Bridge is needed now more than ever, because of the poor redesign of the MSDN/TechNet/Microsoft forums.

+1000

-- Cedric GEORGEOT [MVP] File System Storage http://www.e-novatic.fr -- Auteur du livre Bonnes pratiques, planification et dimensionnement des infrastructures de stockage et de serveur en environnement virtuel -- N'oubliez pas de marquer comme réponse ;-)

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:21 AM
  • +1

I agree. I used to reply to all my work on the forums via the community bridge. I hope we can get an updated version soon.

thanks so much

Jose

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Doug,

t's been a couple of days now since Jochen updated the authentication method for the bridge, how's it going from Microsoft's end?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Doug,

t's been a couple of days now since Jochen updated the authentication method for the bridge, how's it going from Microsoft's end?

Strangely enough, I've been wondering the exact same thing. Perhaps we are not alone?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:06 AM
  • FYI, there is more discussion including an official declaration by Jennifer-P on this thread:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/a532e600-b7dc-4ab1-bfd4-fe4dda7b71f3/the-future-of-the-nntp-bridge-on-msdn.

-- David

Efficiently read and post to forums with newsreaders: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Jennifer,

I'm not attacking you personally, but it is obvious that this NNTP Bridge/Forums change is another example of People at Microsoft not having a clue about who or how the community is using their stuff. I, personally, take it as the Sinofsky attitude being alive and well at MS (f... the customer. They'll do as we tell them because we know far better what they need). I use a newsreader to read the forums of interest TO ME. Now I can't. The new Forum Design makes it impossible to only follow the forums of interest. In fact they are just a bunch of clutter. I want to follow the discussion of Windows Server 2012 R2 only and I can't. So now I won't bother to look at them. Sigh.

Tom

Tomás Mason

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Jennifer,

I'm not attacking you personally, but it is obvious that this NNTP Bridge/Forums change is another example of People at Microsoft not having a clue about who or how the community is using their stuff. I, personally, take it as the Sinofsky attitude being alive and well at MS (f... the customer. They'll do as we tell them because we know far better what they need). I use a newsreader to read the forums of interest TO ME. Now I can't. The new Forum Design makes it impossible to only follow the forums of interest. In fact they are just a bunch of clutter. I want to follow the discussion of Windows Server 2012 R2 only and I can't. So now I won't bother to look at them. Sigh.

Tom

Tomás Mason

I totally agree. I like to think that I can help some people with their problems, but now, without the bridges, as soon as all my replies are marked as Answered (whether by me or someone else), and I no longer receive alerts, that'll be it for me. I find these forums almost impossible to navigate easily and find topics I think I might be able to provide help. Same with the FKA Answers forums :-(

--

SC Tom

Friday, June 28, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Jennifer,

Tom

Tomás Mason

Strongly agree. I don't have any interest to use web interface only. It is absolutely unefficient waste of time. I only use the web interface to do moderator jobs. I never use it to answer questions.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Any update on this? My communitybridge.codeplex.com version is Version 1.1.45.0.

Still have what I assume is the same problem here, July 4th 2013. Here's the full error my newsreader (Outlook Express 6, 6.00.2900.5512) produces:

503 program fault - command not performed System.ServiceModel.ProtocolException: The content type text/html; charset=utf-8 of the response message does not match the content type of the binding (application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8). If using a custom encoder, be sure that the IsContentTypeSupported method is implemented properly.

Configuration:
       Account: communitybridge.codeplex.com
       Server: 127.0.0.1
       Protocol: NNTP
       Port: 119
       Secure(SSL): 0
       Error Number: 503
       Code: 800ccca4

Thursday, July 4, 2013 3:39 PM
  • MS has stopped supporting the web-Service; therefor the Bridge does not work anymore...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a532e600-b7dc-4ab1-bfd4-fe4dda7b71f3/the-future-of-the-nntp-bridge-on-msdn

Thursday, July 4, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Jochen, you may want to update the codeplex page for the Community Bridge to reflect this.

Thanks,
    David

Thursday, July 4, 2013 4:10 PM