none
remote access: "connection disabled" on all Win7 x64 systems, other OSes OK RRS feed

  • Question

  • Most of the machines on my network run win7 x64 ultimate. None of these machines are accessible via WHS remote access. I have one machine running Vista Ultimate x64 that is accessible, and a machine running SBS 2008 that is accessible. (Remote access services on the SBS machine are not enabled; I use WHS for that). I can remote into all of the machines from within my net, I just can't get at them remotely. I've made sure that all allow remote access from public networks. Any idea why I can't connect to these machines? All machines are up-to-date wrt patches.

    TIA,

    Friday, August 6, 2010 3:54 PM

All replies

  • Hi,
    did you enable to allow access from all versions of Remote Desktop on these clients in their Remote settings (right click Computer on the client in Start menu, click Properties, select Remote)?

    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

    Friday, August 6, 2010 9:07 PM
    Moderator
  • Yes, connections from all versions of RD is enabled.

    Thanks, and greetings from the Pacific Northwest USA!

    Saturday, August 7, 2010 3:51 AM
  • Most of the machines on my network run win7 x64 ultimate. None of these machines are accessible via WHS remote access. I have one machine running Vista Ultimate x64 that is accessible, and a machine running SBS 2008 that is accessible. (Remote access services on the SBS machine are not enabled; I use WHS for that). I can remote into all of the machines from within my net, I just can't get at them remotely. I've made sure that all allow remote access from public networks. Any idea why I can't connect to these machines? All machines are up-to-date wrt patches.

    TIA,

    Have you tried rebooting the clients?  (If you change the RD settings on the client, but don't reboot the client, WHS isn't aware of the changes.)
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 4:05 AM
    Moderator
  • I've tried client reboots, server reboots, enabling, disabling, and re-enabling remote access on WHS, i've tried SBS policy changes to allow rdp access from domain, local, and public networks. I've tried to grant rdp permissions to the WHS server accounts (no go on my domain connected machines). No joy so far...
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 4:33 AM
  • I've tried client reboots, server reboots, enabling, disabling, and re-enabling remote access on WHS, i've tried SBS policy changes to allow rdp access from domain, local, and public networks. I've tried to grant rdp permissions to the WHS server accounts (no go on my domain connected machines). No joy so far...
    What are the component numbers of your server (in the Console, Settings button, Resources tab)?
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 11:47 PM
    Moderator
  • Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0

    No updates are available when  try a manual update.

    Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:49 AM
  • Did you ever resolve this issue.  I'm having the same problem with all of my Win7 x64 (and 32 bit) systems. Like you I'm able to RDS into any of these systems from each other over the LAN. I can open a RDS session with WHS and from there access any of these systems via RDS. When I remote in to WHS over the internet however all of these systems show "Connection Disabled".


    Bill Cohagan

    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Hi Bill,

    does this happen with the Windows firewall enabled or is there a 3rd party security suite on the PCs controlling the connectivity?

    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:15 PM
    Moderator
  • Olaf

      No, this was not a firewall issue. Disabling the firewall did not improve things. I did find a solution however. First step (which I think most everyone has already tried) is setting the Client RDS to use the "less secure" RDS. Unfortunately this alone doesn't help because WHS is apparently unaware that this change has been made. The trick is to run the WHS ClientInfo.exe app (found in the WHS install folder.) You have to run this utility "as administrator." That cured it for me and now all of my Win7 systems are accessible via WHS remote access. I guess this WHS client config info is cached and that cache doesn't get updated until/unless you run this utility.

    Regards,

     Bill


    Bill Cohagan


    • Proposed as answer by Bill Cohagan Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:49 PM
    • Edited by Bill Cohagan Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:50 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:49 PM