[CRM 2011] Tracking Emails with same subject line with same tracking token RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are running into an issue where emails with different message bodies, but with the same subject line, cannot be tracked in the system as two messages.  Only the first message would appear in CRM, the second email will show up in Outlook as being tracked, but when clicking on "View in CRM" to open the CRM email activity record, it is actually pointing back to the first email tracked that has the same name and tracking token.  The second email never got created, however Outlook has determined that the email is already in CRM and provides a linkage (back to the first email that was properly tracked).

The format of the emails experiencing the issue looked like this:

FW: Email Subject ABCD:0001001

Smart matching is turned on, would this have any effects on how this works?  Under the E-mail tab in Personal Options of the user, the "Check incoming e-mail in Outlook and determine whether an e-mail should be linked.." setting is unchecked.

Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks.

Friday, November 14, 2014 8:25 PM

All replies

• In most cases smart matching is capable enough without using tracking tokens. Is there any reason why they're used?

In any case, the tracking tokens should be unique so I'm not sure how different emails are ending up with the same token.

Can you disable tracking tokens and see if it gets tracked based on smart matching alone?

Paul

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

Twitter LinkedIn Facebook Blog Magnetism

Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:16 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. When we migrated from CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011, the system had been setup to use Tracking Tokens so the users are familiar with this process.  It seems that by default in CRM 2011, both Smart Matching and Tracking Tokens are enabled.  As you may be aware from my other question, I was not able to change any system settings, and so I was not able to disable Smart Matching / Tracking Tokens.

The scenario is that when the user send an email to an external client, it would attach a tracking token like ABC:0001.  When the external client replies back to the user, the subject of the email would still contain ABC:0001.  When that happens, this new email would be shown as tracked, but upon opening the CRM email record (using View in CRM through the Outlook toolbar) it shows the original email that was sent in the first place as being linked to this newly replied email.  No new email activity record was created for this newly replied email, even though it shows as a tracked email in Outlook.

Are you suggesting that I use either Smart Matching or Tracking Tokens (but not both)?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:28 PM