none
MCPD .NET 4 - confusing information on the MS websites RRS feed

• Question

• First, I would like to welcome all of you.

I want to get MCPD certificate in both: Web and Windows applications. On the MCPD certification website (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcpd-certification.aspx) I can find information, that "All exams on Visual Studio 2008 are scheduled to retire on July 31, 2013". There is no information about the Visual Studio 2010. If I go to the Retired exams - Visual Studio section website (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/retired-certification-exams.aspx#item-ID0EDAAAAAAAAAABA), then I can find information that only .NET 3.5 exams will be retired on July 31, 2013. There is no information about exams: 511, 513, 515, etc. But when I go into the details of each of these exams, then I can find information (in Overview tab) that all of them will be retired this year.

It's so confusing ... Which information is correct?

I didn't think about MCSD, since our company is not planning to upgrade to Windows 8 soon (means: in next few years).

Thanks in advance for answers.
    Best regards
    Afrinek
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:43 PM

Answers

• The concrete answer from Microsoft Learning is:

.Net 4.0/Visual Studio 2010 certifications are not expiring on 31st July 2013 and Microsoft are in the process of updating all the pages which state the exams are retiring.  Microsoft also advised that they will be discussing exam retirements in July 2013 and the 4.0 exams MAY get scheduled for retirement in July 2014.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Friday, January 18, 2013 9:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Afrinek Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:17 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 12:38 AM
  • Hi everyone! Please see the latest blog post from Microsoft Learning about this. http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2013/02/08/update-on-visual-studio-2010-exam-retirement-dates.aspx

These Visual Studio 2010 exams will NOT retire on July 31, 2013. New retirement dates have not been set.

• 70-511: TS: Windows Applications Development with Microsoft  .NET Framework 4
    • 70-513: TS: Windows Communication Foundation Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    • 70-515: TS: Web Applications Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    • 70-516: TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    • 70-518: Pro: Designing and Developing Windows Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    • 70-519: Pro: Designing and Developing Web Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4

Affected web pages are being updated accordingly.

Veronica Sopher, Community Manager, Microsoft Learning

• Marked as answer by vsopher Friday, February 8, 2013 4:47 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Some of the 4.0 exams were showing up on the Scheduled for Retirement page this morning so I raised my concerns with MS again.

I got a reply advising that this is not correct and that they will be removing all 2013 retirement dates from 4.0 certifications.  They also advise however that they will be discussing retirements in July 2013 and the 4.0 exams MAY get scheduled for retirement in July 2014.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

• Marked as answer by Afrinek Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:15 PM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:27 PM

All replies

• Exams on vs2008 being retired, you will still be able to take vs2010 exams for some time yet as there is no date for them to be retired yet. I would guess around 2 years from now they will be retired.
    Friday, January 4, 2013 3:48 AM
  • Exams on vs2008 being retired, you will still be able to take vs2010 exams for some time yet as there is no date for them to be retired yet. I would guess around 2 years from now they will be retired.
    I don't believe this to be correct as I am under the understanding that 2010 exams will also retire this year.  I have contacted Microsoft for clarification.

Jeff Wharton

Friday, January 4, 2013 4:17 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

I had the same feelings until yesterday, when I checked MS websites.

Please, post it on the forum, when you will get any answer from them.

Thanks

Afrinek

Friday, January 4, 2013 8:46 AM
  • I was on the understanding the vs2008 exams were being retired due to it ending the standard 5 year product life cycle. Vs2010 won't end it's life cycle until 2014/2015
    Friday, January 4, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

my information is the same as the one from Jeff. Most of the exams on Visual Studio 2010 (f.e. MCPD Web Applications, MCPD Windows Applications, etc.) should retire in the middle of this year.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013 10:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Still waiting for a reply from Microsoft Learning

Jeff Wharton

Monday, January 7, 2013 11:36 PM
  • Microsoft retiring the VS2010 exams would mean they are dropping support for .net 4.0.  This would be far too early for that to happen.

I would be very surprised if they removed the .net 4.0 exams in a few months and only provided certs for .net 4.5.  That just doesnt make sense.

I choose to believe the info put out by the Microsoft training team saying its just the VS2008 (3.5) exams being retired.  I imagine the conflicting info was put out by another department.  I may be wrong but not everyone is going to make the jump to 4.5 within the next year.  Lots of people will still be working on 4.0 and want to get that certification.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:15 AM
  • I choose to believe the info put out by the Microsoft training team saying its just the VS2008 (3.5) exams being retired.  I imagine the conflicting info was put out by another department.  I may be wrong but not everyone is going to make the jump to 4.5 within the next year.  Lots of people will still be working on 4.0 and want to get that certification.

That's why I have been in touch with my contact at Microsoft learning for confirmation.

BTW, SQL Server 2008 exams are being retired on 31st July 2013 even though SQL Server 2012 was only released on 7th April 2012 and exams have only been out since June 2012

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:29 AM
  • I choose to believe the info put out by the Microsoft training team saying its just the VS2008 (3.5) exams being retired.  I imagine the conflicting info was put out by another department.  I may be wrong but not everyone is going to make the jump to 4.5 within the next year.  Lots of people will still be working on 4.0 and want to get that certification.

That's why I have been in touch with my contact at Microsoft learning for confirmation.

BTW, SQL Server 2008 exams are being retired on 31st July 2013 even though SQL Server 2012 was only released on 7th April 2012 and exams have only been out since June 2012

Jeff Wharton

When the SQL 2008 certs retire isnt entirely dependant on when SQL 2012 certs come out.

Microsoft usually work on a standard lifecycle of a software as a 5 year period with a possible extended support period after that (There is a really nice diagram somewhere on microsoft site showing this but I couldnt find it right now).

When a software drops out of its 5 year mainstream support lifecycle Microsoft usually retire the certifications.

This isn't always gospel, in many cases certain certifications hang around a while after their shelf life.

Different products can have different lifecycles, you can search them on the microsoft site.

Here is the lifecycle for .net 4.0: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=14380

I have been providing Microsoft certification courses since 2003.  In my opinion if microsoft retire the VS2010 exams ahead of time they will be pissing a lot of people off.

I can see how the misunderstanding could have happened but I hope the people incharge of these things are on the ball and the exams dont actually retire. I mean, they shouldn't, but we will have to wait and see lol.

** EDIT **

I checked lifecycle for VS2010.  Mainstream support end 14/07/15 and extended support ends 08/09/20.  I cant see how Microsoft can retire these exams.

• Edited by Guerrilla Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:07 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:57 PM
  • SQL Server 2008 R2 is 8/07/2014 and 9/07/2019 therefore SQL Server 2008 certifications should not expire this year based on your theory as those certifications are now based on 2008 R2 material :-)

Unfortunately Microsoft has a tendency to change the rules...

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:32 PM
  • Have Microsoft replied yet?
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:07 PM
  • I've still not had a reply from Microsoft

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Seems your source is taking some time so I went into live chat on their site. There is currently no date for MCPD on vs2010 to be retired according to Microsoft support.
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:05 PM
  • It seems to be quite ridiculous that Microsoft are retiring VS2010 (.NET 4.0) certifications in July 2013 along with the VS2008 (.NET 3.5) exams.

Especially for the MCPD Windows Developer 4. I know that MCSD (Windows Store Apps) has got XAML content, but what if you don't care about windows 8 Metro style apps at the moment.

In the new MCSD (Windows Store Apps) there is no exams in there for ADO.net and WCF.
    I know that the exam "
    Developing Windows Azure and Web Services" as part of the MCSD (Web Developer). But what if you don't care about Azure... and would prefer to lear about WCF and ADO.net separately rather then cramming it all in 1 exam.

Another thing picked up by one of the members in this forum is that the following link http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/retired-certification-exams.aspx#item-ID0EDAAAAAAAAAABA does not show the exams 511,513,516,518.
    Another thing is that http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcpd-certification.aspx#item-ID0EFAAAABCA this link previously had a asterisk* next to 511,513,516,518 last week which has disappeared now.

Come on Microsoft whats going on?

There are probably others like me who are not able to get started on the old certifications but are hesitant to because of the worry that we wont be able to complete it in time. And maybe not really looking forward to the new MCSD courses.

• Edited by mtowns Monday, January 14, 2013 10:36 PM semantic
    • Merged by Mr. WhartyModerator Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:18 PM About the same thing
    • Proposed as answer by jeet4v Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:12 AM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 10:27 PM
  • I know there are a lot of others out there who agree with you because there have been a number of posts on this.  I returned to programming about 18 months ago after some time away in another field.  About a year ago, I decided to pursue getting my MCPD because I thought it would really help me focus learning all the areas I was using at a very deep level.  I was studying for my second exam when Microsoft announced the retirement of all the VS2010 exams.  I did end up taking that exam, but opted against taking the EF exam because so much was changing in that area that I felt the exam was probably out of date.  Like you, since I doubted I could finish all four exams by July 31, it seemed a waste of time and money to take an out-of-date exam anyway.  Now that the new exams have been released, they seem to be almost entirely focused on Azure and Windows Store.  How many of us developers are really going to be writing EXCLUSIVELY Windows Store apps?  Most likely, we will continue to write desktop apps with maybe a few small forays into Windows Store.  As a result, how beneficial is it for anyone to pursue a certification that has such limited business appeal? 

On top of that issue is which direction to go with the new exams anyway.  It would seem that HTML5 would be more universal in appeal that C# since knowledge of it could be used for Windows Store apps, internet apps, and all mobile devices.  However, IE10 does not support quite a number of the HTML5 features that I've tried to use.  Furthermore, in a recent LIDNUG Q&A session with Scott Guthrie, he seemed to imply that desktop apps would still be written in WPF and that C#/XAML was preferred for Windows Store.  If that's the case, 1) why bother with HTML5 if IE doesn't use it? and 2) why get rid of exams for WPF? 

Of course, I just checked the link, and these exams don't seem to be retiring now after all--just as you mentioned.  So, are they retiring on July 31 or not?

I think most of us just want some kind of coherent and CONSISTENT statement from Microsoft about what direction they are going in and what will continue to be developed and supported in the next few years.  Surely, they know what they are currently working on!!  It's this kind of lack of communication with the developer community that chased away people like Josh Smith, which is truly a shame.  I am hoping that someone from Microsoft will see your discussion and give some decent advice. 

Christine A. Piffat

Monday, January 14, 2013 11:08 PM
  • I've been told the MCPD isn't retiring on 2010 but others are saying they have been told the opposite.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:27 PM
  • I'm merging this question with a similar question.

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:17 PM
  • Some of the 4.0 exams now appear on the "Exams scheduled to retire" http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/retired-certification-exams.aspx#item-ID0EDAAAAAAAAAABA which confirms they are being retired on 31st July 2013.

I have asked for clarification from Microsoft as to why they're retiring so early.

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Some of the 4.0 exams were showing up on the Scheduled for Retirement page this morning so I raised my concerns with MS again.

I got a reply advising that this is not correct and that they will be removing all 2013 retirement dates from 4.0 certifications.  They also advise however that they will be discussing retirements in July 2013 and the 4.0 exams MAY get scheduled for retirement in July 2014.

Jeff Wharton

• Marked as answer by Afrinek Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:15 PM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:27 PM
  • They just removed the Retirement on 70-511, 70-513 and MCPD for VS2010:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-511
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-513
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcpd-certification.aspx

On 70-516 and 70-518 it's still there:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-516
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-518

• Proposed as answer by jeet4v Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:43 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Although they have removed from: 70-51170-513

This link still shows 70-513 now under "MCPD on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010"http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcpd-certification.aspx

I also find it hard to believe that at this link: MCPD under Windows Developer 4 there are hyperlinks for 513,516 but not for 511 and 518 ???

Jeff Wharton: As you have a good link with Microsoft, could I please request you to get some concrete answer from them as I believe this is an urgent matter and is unclear for at least 2 weeks now.

It makes me think twice about going for these certifications and about Microsoft's reputation as the certification website is definitely not living up to Microsoft standards.

Friday, January 18, 2013 12:23 AM
  • The concrete answer from Microsoft Learning is:

.Net 4.0/Visual Studio 2010 certifications are not expiring on 31st July 2013 and Microsoft are in the process of updating all the pages which state the exams are retiring.  Microsoft also advised that they will be discussing exam retirements in July 2013 and the 4.0 exams MAY get scheduled for retirement in July 2014.

Jeff Wharton

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Friday, January 18, 2013 9:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Afrinek Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:17 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 12:38 AM
  • I plan to have a chat about that when I am over there in a month. As a dev house, our customers are running .NET 4.0 apps and my devs want to get certified but its not viable for them to move onto the MCSD tracks yet as we dont have projects in that arena. Also given that there was such a short timeframe for the .NET 4.0 exams its a bit of a rush to retire them in my opinion

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links

• Proposed as answer by jeet4v Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:54 AM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:52 PM
  • Axel, thanks for posting it. Very useful info.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Hey guys, just talked to an MS rep about MCPD (VS2012/.NET4/) retirement this coming July. Looks like it's true, they are going to retire it. This is the important part from the chat log unedited, I'm David by the way. This took place around 8:15 AM PST.

David: so, if I want to go the former MCPD track
    David: I have to get the mcsd now
    George: Yes, I suggest you take the MCSD certifications instead
    George: MCSD web 
    David: so the web track of MCPD is been retired this year?
    David: or you can still get it, but you just need to pass the 515 before it retires
    George: You still can earn MCPD provided you pass all 4 exams before July 2013
    David: gotcha
    David: so why are you guys retiring this so soon
    David: isn't there a 5-year product support cycle for every products?
    George: We have changed our certification structure as  to better reflect the experience, knowledge, and skills that IT professionals and developers need to build and manage technology solutions that may include multiple technologies, whether on-premises or in the cloud

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:31 PM
  • that is not correct and I have an email from the head of Microsoft Learning advising that the exams WILL NOT retire on 31st July 2013.  I have escalated this to them.

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:58 PM
  • @Deli686 - I'd like to know who George is. Do you have a full name? Thanks.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:11 PM
  • Hi Deli686, Mr. Wharty

Can we reach to any specific result, instead of escalating elsewhere.

kindly update needed.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:29 AM
  • The answer has already been provided and that is that exams are not retiring on 31st July 2013.  The only thing I have escalated is the fact that the wrong information was provided by George hence the reason why Veronica from Microsoft Learning has asked for their last name.

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Latest update on microsoft certification website:http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/retired-certification-exams.aspx#item-ID0EDAAAAAAAAAABA

You will now see that 511 has been added to the list. Previously when I posted on January 14 2013, only 513 was on the list.

Mr Wharty: I understand that you have given the concrete answer, and I do believe that this is the answer you received from Microsoft.

BUT its quite hard to take your word for it, what exactly is going on with the website... as from my post you can see that they are updating it but still is confusing... and when will it be fixed?

Thanks.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:33 PM
  • All I can do is provide information based on what I have been told by Microsoft Learning.  As the advice I received came from someone directly involved with the running of the certification program (i.e. not from general support), I consider it to be accurate.

I'm not sure why exams are still being added to the retired list and why a Microsoft rep advised that they are still being retired in July 2013.  All I can do is escalate it and request that it get sorted out.

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:50 PM
  • Hi mTowns,

One more exam has included for retirement ie; 70-515 to the same url: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/retired-certification-exams.aspx#item-ID0EDAAAAAAAAAABA

• Edited by jeet4v Friday, January 25, 2013 5:35 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 5:35 AM
  • @mtowns: Mr. Wharty is one of our designated moderators in this forum. He works closely with me. I am the community manager at Microsoft Learning. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/community.aspx

Errors on our website are being corrected as quickly as possible. We will share an update when I have confirmation the exam retirement dates have all been corrected. Apologies to everyone for the confusion.

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:23 AM
  • Thanks varonica.
    Friday, January 25, 2013 7:04 AM
  • @mtowns: Mr. Wharty is one of our designated moderators in this forum. He works closely with me. I am the community manager at Microsoft Learning. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/community.aspx

Errors on our website are being corrected as quickly as possible. We will share an update when I have confirmation the exam retirement dates have all been corrected. Apologies to everyone for the confusion.

Thanks Veronica

Jeff Wharton

Friday, January 25, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Hi Veronica,

George is the Live Chat agent from MS Learning. From the green colored bar on the right side of the page. He did not provide a last name, and for what it's worth, the conversation took place this Wednesday at around 8AM PST.

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Hello,

I just finished reading this thread, and am not confused anymore, the exams are not going to be retired on July 31, 2013.

However, the error has not been corrected, since the exam 513 is shown as "retires on July 31, 2013" on first page, the 515 is marked on the second one.

First Page: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/retired-certification-exams.aspx#item-ID0EDAAAAAAAAAABA

Second Page: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcts-certification.aspx

Thank you for all the information!

Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:59 PM
  • The same chapter still open. 

Kindly close some one with proper solution.............

Thanks.

Friday, February 8, 2013 6:18 AM
  • Hi everyone! Please see the latest blog post from Microsoft Learning about this. http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2013/02/08/update-on-visual-studio-2010-exam-retirement-dates.aspx

These Visual Studio 2010 exams will NOT retire on July 31, 2013. New retirement dates have not been set.

• 70-511: TS: Windows Applications Development with Microsoft  .NET Framework 4
    • 70-513: TS: Windows Communication Foundation Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    • 70-515: TS: Web Applications Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    • 70-516: TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    • 70-518: Pro: Designing and Developing Windows Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    • 70-519: Pro: Designing and Developing Web Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4

Affected web pages are being updated accordingly.

• Marked as answer by vsopher Friday, February 8, 2013 4:47 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 4:47 PM
  • @Deli686 - Our Live Chat agents and the RSC have been given accurate info about these exam retirement dates. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2013/02/08/update-on-visual-studio-2010-exam-retirement-dates.aspx

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Thanks for the update Veronica.

Jeff Wharton

Friday, February 8, 2013 10:19 PM
  • Thanks for the update Veronica.
    • Proposed as answer by Rohit Sh Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:26 AM
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:59 AM
  • Hi Veronica,

The following link still shows exams 70-511 and 70-515 will retire on July 2013.

Please let us know whether it is error or exams will retire.

Thanks. 

Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:28 AM
  • What about 70-523 exam??

Si se solucionó tu consulta no olvides marcar la respuesta. Saludos

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:56 PM