none
Why not integrate ASP.NET forums with the rest of forums RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a specific reason why ASP.NET forums are on a seperate site and have a different UI?

Wont it better for them to be part of the social.msdn.microsoft.com forums

Ganesh Ranganathan
    [Please mark the post as answer if you find it helpful]
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:26 AM

All replies

• Back 4 years ago or so, the ASP.NET group thought they could create a better version of the forums software and they opted out of the MSDN version.  After 3+ million posts in an incompatible format, 3 major software releases with basic functionality broken and a zombie web site (forums.microsoft.com), I'd say that was a pretty accurate call.
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Ohh :(

Is there any way to configure My Forum Threads to show the threads from ASP.NET forums too?

Ganesh Ranganathan
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Back 4 years ago or so, the ASP.NET group thought they could create a better version of the forums software and they opted out of the MSDN version.  After 3+ million posts in an incompatible format, 3 major software releases with basic functionality broken and a zombie web site (forums.microsoft.com), I'd say that was a pretty accurate call.
    Hans Passant.
    Have they given up yet? Or still trying to push separate forums? I don't think it is a good idea to keep up different kinds of forums software for years, there are people who try to use the forums too.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Nothing intentional, I'm sure.  It is a big company.
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:37 PM
  • So, I take it there are no plans to integrate the two forums....

Would make life easier who post ASP.NET queries in the wrong forums but their posts cant be moved to the correct fourm.

Maybe we can have an ASP.NET forum here too :)
    Ganesh Ranganathan
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:05 AM
  • Nothing intentional, I'm sure.  It is a big company.
    Hans Passant.
    Yeah, well, that is one more reason to go the intentional way. Big companies that have many systems are getting bogged down just because people set up their own systems, because the official systems are too hard to use. Thats traditional. Instead of streamlining the system they force users to adjust, but users set up their own systems... It's endless when the corporate grows. But sure if you don't leave some room for people, they go and set up their own companies. But if your company is on it's knees by being too complex, that is not good either.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:51 PM