HP EX470 is a door stop for now RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have stopped using the 470 for everything as of now after new issues have risen with the os, I phoned HP and was told their update has been pushed back due to the MS problem and no window of fix is in sight, I have asked to return my server for a refund or a discount and am waiting for some kind of answer, I was willing to wait out the time for a 64 bit connector but now this looks like a pipe dream at the moment, I have been told the problem is on MS's side and I understand that, since its  OEM software its also HP's problem on top, MS wont talk to me because its HP OEM and HP says it a MS problem and HP is right but I have a box that I paid a ton of money including a full load of drives that I cant use, I am not going to accept software problems anymore nor am I going to do work arounds anymore, maybe by the time a fix comes arount the HP box will cost $275 in the stores.

Sorry HP and MS, I dont care about the problems anymore, I want my money back or some kind of compensation for a product thats not working right and fixes for it is no where in sight.

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:22 PM

All replies

• Regardless of where the fault lies, you purchased the box from HP, and so its HP's responsibility to support it, or in this case consider giving you the refund you have asked for.

Andrew

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:54 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

Regardless of where the fault lies, you purchased the box from HP, and so its HP's responsibility to support it, or in this case consider giving you the refund you have asked for.

Andrew

The problem here is I have had it for almost 2 months now, so things can get iffy here, not including the fact that I use most of the stuff that was listed as a problem, like I said I have reported this and recieved a case#, its a wait and see situation now. 

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:02 PM
  • when you do get a response, post it here.

Andrew

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:04 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

when you do get a response, post it here.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I will absolutely post my results as soon as they come in, I reported it to HP today at 1pm eastern so it may take a few days but from what I gathered from the conversation, the calls for the HP 470 and 475 server were starting to come in and escalating, so it will be interesting to see how HP handles this. 
    Friday, February 22, 2008 8:12 PM
  • I think the calls are rolling into HP, at least mine did...

My story:  I called HP yesterday to return my ex475 and they said I needed to work it out with Amazon, where I bought the unit in early December.  The HP rep was nice enough and gave me a case number if I didn't get it worked out with Amazon.  He said it would have been easier for them to issue a refund (or something) if I had bought it through HP.  It became a non-issue for me because Amazon is refunding the entire amount - no problem.  They e-mailed a UPS label so I don't have to pay for shipping.  I do buy a lot of stuff through Amazon, but you have got to love their customer service.

I am still researching wiping the drives before I send it back, but I have some good leads on tools to use, thanks to help from this board.  I also might call HP back and see what they recommend.

Good luck.

Michael

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:38 PM
  • I have to say that I am amazed that HP would still ship this thing out the door.  This is going to be a maintenance nightmare for HP.

In the meantime I bought an OEM copy from NewEgg.  My out of pocket is about $180 and I am going to play wait and see I think.  I can sure understand those who bought a box not being so ready to hang on.
    Friday, February 22, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Hi John, I agree with your comments generally, but I don't know it will be such an issue for the majority of WHS users.  I've been using Photoshop 6 with WHS via a share, but over WiFi the performance is so pathetic I'm just moving everything back local as we speak.

What I'm saying is that unless you have a wired gigabit LAN, and I don't think most homes are, it will probably be used more for centralised backup and occasional sharing, rather than a main working store like a corporate file server would be.

Just my thoughts!

Friday, February 22, 2008 10:50 PM
  •  

Just a brief description on why I want to return my EX470 although I would accept a discount because I need this thing, I have gigabit wired my house and added wireless N running at 5 Ghz so large transfers are not a problem, but this is before I bought the EX470, my idea was to have a fast efficient running home network, I have 3 computers, 2 running Vista Ultimate 64 and the other downgraded to Ultimate 32 bit in order to run the EX470 properly, I paid $600 for the EX470, $450 for 3 enterprise class hard drives and $100 for maintenance software , so I have laid out $1150 (not including tax),  this is not the first time I have  bought into a new or different type of concept, I am aware of bugs and problems on something new when it is introduced and  I am no stranger  to this, after doing my reading and study on home servers and WHS, I came to a conclusion of yes its got some bugs and problems but I think I can live with it till the fixes come and this was usually the case with other new introduced things I have bought,  not this time, this OS is worse then  the first release of win95, I have had numerous  events leading me to the conclusion that I have had enough, the problem is not HP or the hardware, the hardware is just fine, its the OS and the OS only that has me pissed,  after anticipating the release of the power pack 1 and HP updating many things which was due this month (feb), it was all shot down after the new corruption problems came up, after discussing this with HP, I was told their release has been pushed back because of the MS situation, sorry people but I have run out of patience and I will not accept any more excuses  from MS. I don’t care if the WHS team is working around the clock or short of staff, I couldn’t careless how big the job is, the fact is the OS is bad and should have never been released period, there defiantly is a bug in the OS and its bigger then anybody is letting on, I have been around computers and software since 1975 and this is one of the most wreck-less software events I have ever seen.

Sorry about the rant people, but I am usually calm collective and patient, but now I’m pissed.

Thanks

Ray

Toronto, Canada

Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:29 AM
  • Your points are valid Ray - a backup platform that corrupts data is pretty bad!  Come on MS, we need some clarity on this SOON.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:13 AM
  •  Jimbo! wrote:
    Your points are valid Ray - a backup platform that corrupts data is pretty bad!  Come on MS, we need some clarity on this SOON.

Just to clarify the point, the corruption bug does NOT affect backups of your computers, its only the sharing and editing of data stored on the server, not the backups themselves.

Andrew

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:21 AM
  • that's okay then

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:58 AM
  •  Jimbo! wrote:
    that's okay then

Well I wouldnt go that far  but there is a difference and the point needed clarifying otherwise others will read it and assume their backups are not safe either.

Andrew

Saturday, February 23, 2008 10:03 AM
  •  psychopuppy wrote:

I was willing to wait out the time for a 64 bit connector but now this looks like a pipe dream at the moment

I thought that was coming with "power pack 1" which was due first half of this year?
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:10 PM
  •  BigBrew wrote:

I thought that was coming with "power pack 1" which was due first half of this year?

When a company makes a statement of a release window “first half of the year” it usually means 3 to 6 months, making a statement like this tells me there is a ton of problems, a-lot of people paid full retail for their HP box and cant utilize it to its full capabilities because they are running Vista 64 and no way to downgrade to vista 32 if the options were not given, how much would a store be selling the exact HP box 6 months from now, $250-$300??, it would be financially worth it to send the box back and repurchase it 6 months down the road when you can possibly use it with Vista 64 but then I would be stuck with 3 high end hard drives doing nothing and losing user value by the day.   

Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:26 AM
  • Never heard of ebay fella?

Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:47 AM
  • Ya Jimbo but Im also looking at alternatives right now such as another operating system in the HP box, 

P.S I would most likley be happy and put up with the problems if I was offered the beta on the 64 bit connector and power pack and not send my box back to HP

Sunday, February 24, 2008 5:32 PM
  •  BigBrew wrote:
     psychopuppy wrote:

I was willing to wait out the time for a 64 bit connector but now this looks like a pipe dream at the moment

The 64 bit connector is part of power pack 1. PP1 is currently in a private beta and is undergoing testing. At the moment the WHS team's top and only priority is fixing the corruption bug. When this is done it is likely that the fix will be rolled into PP1 and released.

Andrew

Sunday, February 24, 2008 5:51 PM
  •  psychopuppy wrote:

Ya Jimbo but Im also looking at alternatives right now such as another operating system in the HP box, 

P.S I would most likley be happy and put up with the problems if I was offered the beta on the 64 bit connector and power pack and not send my box back to HP

Currently the Power Pack 1 beta is a closed beta and is not open to anyone outside of either Microsoft or the MVP community.

Andrew

Sunday, February 24, 2008 5:52 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

Currently the Power Pack 1 beta is a closed beta and is not open to anyone outside of either Microsoft or the MVP community.

Andrew

Yes Andrew, I am aware of the closed testing and since its closed Im wondering how many people are involved in this and since its closed, is there a bigger problem in the OS, take for example, I did a complete system reset, formated 4 drives and installed os with updates, then I check the event logs and they look good (some errors), I let the server sit for 2 hours doing nothing to it, I go to the event logs and I have a sea of red dots, I then start to investigate some of the errors and come to the conclusion that I cant get to  most of the errors, many are reocuring as well as seperate ones, I have watched the server  reboot on its own and its due to a crash when I go back into the logs I find more problems, I have paid very close attention to this server, I have done so much testing that the only things I havent done is drop it, shoot it or have sex with it and my final decision reflects on it.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:33 PM
  • I have no idea how many people are testing PP1, but as I understand it the decision to make it a closed beta was purely down to MS wanted a smaller number of users who would provide feedback rather than just pushing it out to everyone and getting a small number of responses.

Given the problems you are having even when doing a clean install I would suggest you might actually have a hardare problem with your HP MediaSmart and might want to consider getting it replaced.

Andrew

Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:39 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

I have no idea how many people are testing PP1, but as I understand it the decision to make it a closed beta was purely down to MS wanted a smaller number of users who would provide feedback rather than just pushing it out to everyone and getting a small number of responses.

Given the problems you are having even when doing a clean install I would suggest you might actually have a hardare problem with your HP MediaSmart and might want to consider getting it replaced.

Andrew

Thanks for the reply Andrew, I have a extensive supply of electronic testing equipment at my dissposal and I have used some of them, the hardware checks out clean.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Hmmm, not sure what to suggest then as I know when the HP boxes first came out there were people reportedly having issues and swapping them out, Ive never had a problem with mine so far...........

Andrew

Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Again thanks Andrew for the reply and I enjoy your comments along with everybody else, I believe this kind of communication solves problems, the HP box is very simple, It's not rocket science for me, I write software for power-trains at an auto maker and I know what I am doing, sure there can be manufacturing and design problems, but from my life experiances 90% of problems are software, firmware related because a hardware problem is caught a-lot earlier in it's stage of pre production although yes there can be post problems but not here for me, I have been in this business a long time, I understand the WHS team is under preasure, I understand that they do not make the final desicion, when you are stripping and adding modules on or off  other software (Server 2003)  you are basicly sticking your fingers in a pencil sharperner, MS is lucky because they can introduce a patch or service pack, in my business we call it a re-call.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:46 PM
  • At last, someone who enjoys my comments

Seriously though, it might be worth a quick call to HP to ask them if what you are experiencing is one of their known problems, if for no other reason than to rule it out.

Personally I would have been a lot happier if WHS had been locked down tighter so that you didnt see all the 2003 stuff in the background that could break it, and things like the 2003 splash screen (at least thats fixed with PP1).

Andrew

Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:51 PM
  • HP called and did offer to take back the EX470, from what I gathered from the conversation the updates and pp1 was going to be out in April but it's not going to happen, I was told maybe June and they are not even sure on that, but after the weekend I have figured out a temporary linux setup, I have a bunch of spare equipment hanging around and going to give it a go, so I decided to keep the box for now as I have too much time and money invested in it, HP is in a tough spot right now with this issue, the hardware is good but they are OEM to the OS, the way I see it, EX470 and 475 owners are stuck in a box with only 3 corners, Owners, HP, and MS, not everybody has resources to do somthing alternative and they dont have too because they purchased something they thought was going to work properly, the HP boxes are being returned for refunds right now and who can blame the owners, if I was MS right now I would offer PP1 beta to the public or a updated pp1 beta of some kind, this may help keep some owners interested or just maybe there is a bigger problem in the os, right now the ball is in MS's corner in this 3 corner room and they stand losing.

My personal 2 cents is I dont see any confidence from anyone in the os. 

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Wow.

An system that corrupts files. What a contradiction in terms. I am seriously considering shutting my server, until the problem is fixed. Will probably using other solutions in the meantime. Like Crashplan (I use it now for my server files) and Hummingbird for syncing. I don’t work for those companies. Just the products have helped, when my Home Server starts acting up. Specially Crashplan for my Shared Files.

I was going to go and buy one. HP Server

I was a big supporter of Windows Home Server, but now it is such a disappointment. A sad day indeed.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:49 PM
  •  

The fact MS is taking so long even to beta a fix for the corruption issue raises questions in my mind as to quite how deep in the OS the corruption issue runs.  It must be a very serious flaw, otherwise a fix would be out by now, there has been plenty of time.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:00 PM