DVD Creation RRS feed

• Question

• As the WHS is to be a central repository for all media, it would be a asset to offer media creation abilities on that machine through the client software.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 6:54 PM

All replies

• I see your point with the central repository for media, but wouldn't it be awkward to run from the client pc to the WHS pc to burn a DVD/CD?

(or maybe that's just my impression)

Saturday, March 3, 2007 7:12 PM
  • WHS isn't intended to be used by someone working at the desktop. After all, the last step in the installation instructions tells you to disconnect your KVM and reboot the server.

Applications, such as media creation tools, disk burning programs, etc, belong on the home PC, not WHS.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 7:59 PM
  • WHere I can clearly see your POV, what about using DVD to burn quarterly backups of the HardDrive so I can put them in a FireProff Vault.

Right now I am using Acronis to make XP backups and once a week I burn a copy and into my fireproof vault they go.  This a great way to get backups off site and cheap.

Or ..... Maybe using being able to allocate one USB drive for detachable media to be stored off site.... only hooked up long enough to get a state backup.

Your thoughts?

Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:23 AM
  • In the release documentation there is a note that backup software tends to corrupt data upon restore on WHS. You can use the WHS backup features to back up home PCs, but ntbackup and others will apparently not be kind to your server.

Better would be to just rely on a repair installation if your system disk goes south. If another disk goes south, as long as all the files were in duplicated shares you shouldn't lose anything.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:37 AM
  • While I had not initially intended for backup to dvd from the WHS server, having a backup to say dual layer DVDs would be a asset. While it may be rare, every once and a while there is a full system failure.

Otherwise on the initial thought, if you drop your home movies, photos, etc on the WHS for sharing, it is painful to copy all the data back to your pc before making a media disc from it. In addition, during most of the time the WHS machine will be sitting somewhat idle, so queue'ing the creation of a dvd or such and fetching it whenever shoulden't be a issue.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 6:26 PM
  •  Lyme wrote:

While I had not initially intended for backup to dvd from the WHS server, having a backup to say dual layer DVDs would be a asset. While it may be rare, every once and a while there is a full system failure.

Otherwise on the initial thought, if you drop your home movies, photos, etc on the WHS for sharing, it is painful to copy all the data back to your pc before making a media disc from it. In addition, during most of the time the WHS machine will be sitting somewhat idle, so queue'ing the creation of a dvd or such and fetching it whenever shoulden't be a issue.

I agree with this suggestion. This echoes my thoughts, exactly. Is this submitted so I can vote on it? 

Sunday, March 4, 2007 6:51 PM
  • As this is really two seperate issues:

DVD media creation: ID: 261491

And there is already a backup to dvd item

Sunday, March 4, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Ok i will ask because i do not know and I want to vote... where and how do I vote :-(

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:45 AM