Which type of server do I need? RRS feed

• Question

• Im currently using whs v1 with 3 desktop, 1 laptop and a printer. All win7.

I want to be able to back computers, file share docs and stream music. I would also like most files to be kept and accessed from the server,  the programs themselves can be run on the computers themselves. I would like to be able to access them from school, library or friends house. I'm confused over the different server software (app ,hpc, web ect...) that is available. I need someone to say this is the one you need. I will not hold anyone accountable for their opinions.

Sunday, August 5, 2012 6:27 AM

Answers

• WHS2011 ($50) or Server 2012 Essentials ($425) will both do what you want. WHS2011 will continue to be supported well into the future but without any further significant developments. If the difference in price between these two is not an issue, I would recommend Essentials as it adds a lot more capability, particularly with Storage Spaces and the ability to support and back up larger than 2TB. I would not recommend 2008 as like WHS2011 it is "left for dead". Suggest you continue to work with the current 2012 Beta to confirm that it meets your needs.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:36 AM
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 1:39 PM

All replies

• You can do all that you want with WHS2011 and indeed with WHS1 that you currently have. What is it you want to do that you can't with WHS1?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:59 PM
  •   With whs1 being old and with whs2011 being left for dead, I was wanting to upgrade. I just want to make sure my investment, both money and time is not wasted on a product that is wrong for me. I am playing with ws2012e on an unused machine which seems promising, but have only really got past the installation.

If I was to go the route of 2008r which version would I need (app ,hpc, web ect...)?

Sunday, August 5, 2012 1:22 PM
  • WHS2011 ($50) or Server 2012 Essentials ($425) will both do what you want. WHS2011 will continue to be supported well into the future but without any further significant developments. If the difference in price between these two is not an issue, I would recommend Essentials as it adds a lot more capability, particularly with Storage Spaces and the ability to support and back up larger than 2TB. I would not recommend 2008 as like WHS2011 it is "left for dead". Suggest you continue to work with the current 2012 Beta to confirm that it meets your needs.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:36 AM
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 1:39 PM