How to cancel or stop the auto renew? RRS feed

• Question

• You can't really.

It seems they are bent on taking your money for this half *** service.

I signed up and downloaded over the Internet but can only find one possibility of canceling or changing the auto renew by phone.  (long hold times and people to try to talk you out of canceling.)

This is a clear sign of a rip off!

I changed my credit card info. so the name and address does not match the credit card it self.  Hopefully, when renewal time runs around the charge won't go through.  Then maybe some obscure customer service dude will contact me.

one thing that is for sure, I won't come back here to look for replies.  So, if some customer service finally appears they should contact me directly or change the way the program works all together so a person can easily cancel or change the re new setting.... without calling!

good luck!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:23 PM

Answers

• I disagree that it is a sure sign of a rip-off, though I've said before in many other replies, that I believe it is unfortunate that cancellation requires a phone call. It is, however, normal practice for subscription services to require a phone call.

-steve

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:26 PM

All replies

• I disagree that it is a sure sign of a rip-off, though I've said before in many other replies, that I believe it is unfortunate that cancellation requires a phone call. It is, however, normal practice for subscription services to require a phone call.

-steve

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Agree!!! it is pain to find the way out once you get into this mosnter's grip... no online option to cancel, no easy way to find a phone number to call. all they want to suck your money!!!
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:38 AM
  •  nildus wrote:
    Agree!!! it is pain to find the way out once you get into this mosnter's grip... no online option to cancel, no easy way to find a phone number to call. all they want to suck your money!!!

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:17 PM
  • I tried - there is no help at the above posted link!  its an endless wait to nothingness that loops you back around and around to no help at all.

If this were not a scam - there would be an easy to see and read button that says "turn off auto-renew".  Please direct us to that link sir.

Oh, there is no such link or place - that is becuase its a scam!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:04 PM
  • by the way, I got an email today saying that auto renew day is Jan. 9.  Well I can't stop it any other way but putting in the wrong credit card info.  So, they still don't have the correct info. and it won't go through.  To bad we have to opperate this way with dishonest windows one care.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:16 PM
  • The FAQ for how to reach support explains how to see your support options. It is not an endless circle if you follow the instructions. It *is* a pain, but it works.

There is no link to cancel the service or stop the auto-renew. If you call support to cancel a month ahead of the renewal date, your subscription is likely to be canceled immediately.

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4232780&SiteID=2

I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Thanks for the offer!  But, no thanks.

I'll just do it my way and keep it so they can't get my money.  Your suggestion has been made too hard and drawn out, if not an endless run around as your opinion is.

Maybe some day some one will fix this problem.  I'll print all of this off as documentation of how hard they make it to cancel and how they attempt to rip people off.

Heck, maybe I'll even send it off to the State Attorney General's Office or the BBB.  I don't expect a lot to happen unless they hear more complaints.  At least I did my part.

This can also be posted at ripoffreport.com so that others realize the one care scam.

I will be moving on to one of the many way under $50 per year service.  They actually have customer service reps. too!

Friday, December 12, 2008 12:43 AM
  • Tip, never auto renew anything.

They auto renew and charge your account $50.  The program is not worth $50.  Not even close to that amount.  Look they don't even have online customer service, call and you will wait for days and maybe not ever get a person and One Care doesn't have simple things like a 'cancel' link or button or a 'turn off the auto renew' option.

They give you plenty of notice that they intend to charge your account but no option to stop the charge.

They give you no option to tell them they are not authorized to charge your account after the initial period is up.  I question the legality of this.

Call your credit card company and head off the charge before they try to take it.

If I am going to be a continued customer I want a discounted price.  I don't want the auto renew, I want an offer or coupon that says if you stay with our service you get --- ____ offer.  If its not good enough like, $50 is not good enough for the service you get, then you can decide not to take it.

There is no reason One Care should say it is $50 and we are taking it from your account - if you like it or not.

I intend to escalate this matter further with consumer advocate groups.....

Funny this is a microsoft web site and no one from microsoft gets the message!
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:22 PM
  • jerb1234,
    I can only offer my opinion and help since I'm a fellow customer and do not work for Microsoft. This is a volunteer stint, moderating the forums and answering posts.
    When you subscribed to OneCare, the terms and conditions that you clicked through stated that you were agreeing to be charged annually.

You can read the complete terms of service by signing in at https://billing.microsoft.com

Here is the specific entry for this item -
    "If we informed you that the service will be provided indefinitely or automatically renewed, we may automatically renew your service and charge you for any renewal term."

As for this changing, you may want to read this:
    Sticky: Announcement 11-18-08

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Thanks again for your help and thanks for volunteering!

It is to bad Microsoft won't pay people to provide customer service.

I read the announcement and I am happy to see that OneCare is going to be gone soon.

As for the terms of service, I admit that I don't have them committed to memory. 

I wonder If I also agreed to pay whatever is deemed necessary by Microsoft for the service, for life without negotiation of the price.

I wonder if I was also informed of how hard it would be to ever stop or get out of the service if I found it was not all as good as advertised.

Understanding your a volunteer and may not have realized but those terms and conditions combined with the actual service or lack of shows the intent to rip people off.  -The absence of easy contact info. reaffirms.

They send you an email saying they intend to renew you but you cannot reply to that email and simply say "no thank you".

I think maybe there would be some consumer advocates out there that would love to pick this apart.

So, Microsoft is running a web site and has no hired customer service people to check & answer questions.  Do I have that right? 

This is waist of web space...  "save the space" don't use up the Internet with nothingness.  I'll lead the charge to "Save ISpace" next, can't have people using it all up for things like this nothingness & worthlessness.  This Space could have been used for something good like feeding starving children or to promote world peace or even crazy videos.  Instead its a place where Microsoft thought it would be funny to send all of its complaining customers to complain to each other.  Now they don't have to hear it at all!  Micro still has some geniuses on board don't they?  Here I am typing away with no audience but the others that have the same problem and can't get help too... Its almost like virtually waisting your breath.

Maybe after the auto industry fails Microsoft will be the next to fall -- we can only hope.

Thanks again for volunteering!  Volunteers, I am sure, are way, way better then talking to microsoft "customer service rep." anyway.  We all need to start putting "customer service" in "" from now on to show sarcasm because we all know it does not exist.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Actually, the terms of service also state that the price can be changed at any time. :-(

I do agree that the inability to cancel without contacting customer service and the rather convoluted path to reach customer service is very unfortunate for the customer. It is not uncommon, though, since customer service is expensive. Making it very easy to reach customer service by publishing a phone number, for example, would increase operating costs subsctnatially, and would probably mean that the cost of the subscription would have to increase to cover that. Please don't read that as an apologetic response on behalf of Microsoft. It's just that I understand the logic of it and I know how much it costs for support, having been a call center supervisor for tech support in the past (not for Microsoft or Microsoft products...)

I don't see any of the above as an intent to rip anyone off. I do see it as a choice made for how to provide the service and at what cost. If you are charged for the renewal and eventually contact support, your subscription can be canceled and your renewal charge refunded.

This forum is provided for community discussion, which isn't "support" provided by Microsoft, but an alternate vehicle for customers to help each other and to discuss the product. The information gleaned from the discussions and activity here has been used by Microsoft to improve the product over it's life. Support is available via phone, email, and chat and that is handled by paid staff. You'll note that many of the "answers" here send people to the support path for help. I've tried to outline the path in the FAQ and revise it as the path changed, since I know that someone finding their way here in need of tech support should have the easiest path to support when it is needed. We can provide a solution for known issues in many cases, but in many other cases, it really needs to go through support. In any event, I certainly don't see hosting the forum as a waste of space or energy as I know that *many* people have found help here without needing to go through to support. Having a forum for community discussions is actually quite effective for both Microsoft and the customer. Complaints are not a waste of time as they have been used in the past to highlight an area of OneCare that needed to be changed.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Well $50 per year is a lot for the little service provided, it more then pays for a little bit of customer service, of which you don't get any.

Because crappy service is not uncommon doesn't make it right for Microsoft to do it also.   We can sit here all day and say others do it too but it doesn't make it any more cool for micro to it.  So, I won't except it from anyone.

The terms saying that we bill you automatically and can set the price as we feel fit - at the same time as giving no easy way out show clear intent to rip people off.  I am sorry if you don't recognize it but how could it be any more clear.

Otherwise, there would be an easy way to quit the service.  The goal was clear, suck them in and don't let them out.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 10:19 PM
  • This is obviously a case of "I Hate Microsoft" 
    The Better Business  Bureau would not be amused by your letters, due to the fact that you are too lazy to make a phone call. 
    Maybe the reason you have such a hard time with customer support is becasue you call with a bad attitude. I have never had anything but easy to understand help...once i talked to a human. if you dont like xbox live thats your opinion and doesnt mean its a bad service, more so when its the best out there. Oh and last thing what your doing/talking about doing is known as credit card fraud. Enjoy
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:11 PM