RegisterWindowsVistaSP1.com RRS feed

• Question

• A couple of years ago I was given by Microsoft a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate.  The weird thing was this software required you to go to a website and enter in a 8 alphanumeric key and it would generate a 20 character Activation Code.  Well I am usually super good at either printing or puting a label with keys on it.  But somehow I did not this time around, I figured the stupid website would be around as it was a MICROSOFT site.  Well the website, acording to the web, was taken down on July 1, 2009.  My hard drive crashed and to my surprise when I went to install it again last night, NO KEY.  I have tried about every phone number at Microsoft, said Hi to Mr. Ballmer but he was not able to help me.  I had several people say it was a retail version but nobody has been able to help to see if there is a way to look up the key or generate another.  They constantly send me to a new number only be told wrong people and that I needed talk to customer service.  Some have told me it was a promotional software and I would have to buy a new license.  What kills me is that I got this for doing an on campus something rather, I had to pay TAXES on the STUPID THING! (I had also earned Visual Studio 2008 and so with this it put me into an taxable income from Microsoft, had a W2 and everything)  It is not that I don't have Windows 7, I am a developer and like to keep at least one machine for compatibility reasons.  Hopefully someone can HELP!!!

Jhan Jensen

Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:47 PM

Answers

• Hello jhan,

If you received the software/key thru entering a number in a (now discontinued) web page, then yes, it was a promotional key.

Unfortunatly, this is not something I would have any knowledge in. For any kind of lost product key, the only thing I can do is refer to the support doc KB811224 "How to identify, locate, and replace a product key http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811224 however, I am unsure if this will be of much help to you.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, 

Darin MS
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 8:58 PM

All replies

• Hello jhan,

If you received the software/key thru entering a number in a (now discontinued) web page, then yes, it was a promotional key.

Unfortunatly, this is not something I would have any knowledge in. For any kind of lost product key, the only thing I can do is refer to the support doc KB811224 "How to identify, locate, and replace a product key http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811224 however, I am unsure if this will be of much help to you.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, 

Darin MS
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Well I might be in luck!  I was going through an Excel spreadsheet I have that I use to keep track of the many Keys I have; Don't trust stickies!  And I found what I think is my key, so far it took it and now just waiting to see if it will activate.  Fingers crossed.  I mean I think it sucks that I had to pay taxes on as if it was a $450 program, but Microsoft considers it a promotional copy.  Then why did I have to pay money to the IRS!?!  It is one of the biggest reasons I have stopped doing on campus focus groups and I am going to bring this up the next time I get an invite!!!
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:54 PM
  •   I can't speak to the tax part of it except that, as far as I understand, in some situations gifts can be taxable.

As far as the key/software be promotional or not, it really doesn't matter.  Retail, OEM, Promotional or whatever, Microsoft does not keep (can not keep) any personal identifiable information attached to a Product key.  This is a legal issue (privacy) that was mandated upon Microsoft (i.e. Not Microsoft's idea). Because of this, Microsoft can't know what Product key belongs to any particular person and if they don't know what key belongs to you, they can't replace that key when it is lost.

I'm glad to hear that you may not have lost the key after all,

Darin MS
    Friday, April 23, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Well I won't go into tax code details, but I LUCKILY I did find my key...  But the SAGA does not end there!

For the past two days, I have tried to put the key in.  It takes it just nicely during the install and does not come back and tell me there is anything wrong.  However when I go to activate it, it first would tell me the key was in use.  I tried to activate it with the phone and got told the number was invalid.  I called customer service, got it elevated to a level two engineer.  He has tried so hard to get it fixed, even giving me a new key.  He has taken control of my machine and we finally threw our hand in the air and said FORMAT C:  I re-installed, deleting the partition and everything.  I re-installed with the new key, during install it is all happy.  But again when I went in to activate, NOPE.  Now I decided to see if it was something hardware wise, I have an extra Windows 7 key and guess what...  It installed and activated like there was no tomorrow, bam it activated quickly.  So I am thinking bad Disc!  :(  So I am weighing my options...

Jhan

Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:30 PM