Subscription renewal problem RRS feed

• Question

• I received a screen notice that my subscription to Windows Live OneCare had expired, so I clicked on the appropriate button and it asked for my password...  I couldn't remember having a password for this site, so I asked to be informed.  I was led to change my password, which I then entered on the form...  But then I noticed that my e-mail address was a 'hotmail' address.  I became suspicious at that point, since I do not have a hotmail address.

I have tried (unsuccessfully) to contact Microsoft to find out what is going on.  Very frustrating experience...  millions of places to go...  no directions on how to get my issue resolved.  My issue is that I question the authenticity of the screen notification I received.  But then it may be legitimate, since it is approximately a year ago that I renewed my subscription.  The site just seemed very awkward...  foreign?..  possibly fraudulent...

Any help?

Thank you.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:40 PM

Answers

• When you subscribed to OneCare, you created a LiveID or used a LiveID that you already had (like the one you used to sign in here). That LiveID is shown in OneCare - Help/About OneCare... as the Subscription ID. You need to log in with that LiveID to renew and otherwise manage your subscription.

If you don't recall the password for your LiveID/Subscription ID, choosing to reset it will send you a confirmation email to the address for your LiveID. If it is a Hotmail address shown in OneCare as the Subscription ID, you created the LiveID at activation, but you never actually set it up to receive mail, so a password reset this way will not do you much good.

At this point, you can contact support for help or you may want to just get another subscription when this one expires. Either pick up a retail copy and use the key inside the package to activate a new subscription (you'll need to reinstall OneCare) or uninstall OneCare, reinstall from http://onecare.live.com and activate a new subscription with your LiveID and payment information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:05 PM