Identification of drives RRS feed

• Question

• More technical detail available from this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2278337&SiteID=50&mode=1

WHS currently does not have a way of identifying drives.  If you have 6 of the same drive and one fails, you have no way of knowing which drive to remove/replace. 

My suggestion is to allow users to see more detail about the drives, such as the serial number, IDE channel, etc.  Enough information so that they can remove the correct drive if they need to
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:59 PM

All replies

• Thats a really good idea :-)

Have you gone to Microsoft Connect and posted it as a suggestion for WHS V2?

Andrew

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:30 AM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

Thats a really good idea :-)

Have you gone to Microsoft Connect and posted it as a suggestion for WHS V2?

Andrew

Just did, ID 305143
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:40 AM
  • My thoughts on this is that it's not a good idea to use info about the drive, which is going to be on the drive itself, which is installed in the case....

Instead it should be possible to say put a small label on each drive as you install it and then in WHS have the option of editing a tag for the drive.

So if you install a third drive and label it '3'. Once it's been added to the storage pool you would edit it's tag to say Drive '3'

This way you can see at a glance which drive to remove from the system.

I've already had to remove a drive which was much harder than it should have been. I had to unplg each drive, I have 10 installed, and boot into WHS to see which drive was reported as missing. Doing that three or four times is a real pain in the ***!
    Friday, October 26, 2007 8:52 PM