Restore a new computer or new hard drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

If I use onecare for backup and I trash, loose, have my computer stolen or even install a new hard drive, can it be restored to the same point that it was backed up to?  DO I have to reinstall everything again?

If I have to reinstall all the programs again what good is a backup?

Why not just backup the Documents file?

Thanks Dave

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:15 PM

Answers

• OneCare includes a data backup solution. That means that in the event of a hardware failure or disk problem requiring the reinstall of Windows or even the replacement of the PC, you would need to install your programs, including OneCare and then use the OneCare restore feature to recover your data from the backups.

Data can reside in many places other than just the Documents folders. Depending on the way you configure your backup plan, you can backup Mail which is usually located in a hidden folder outside of the \Documents and Settings structure, for example.

If you want to perform what is known as a "bare metal restore" you need to use an image backup program. Windows Vista Business and Ultimate include this feature. There are also many 3rd party Image based backup programs available. One that I've used in the past is Acronis True image.

-steve

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:58 PM

All replies

• OneCare includes a data backup solution. That means that in the event of a hardware failure or disk problem requiring the reinstall of Windows or even the replacement of the PC, you would need to install your programs, including OneCare and then use the OneCare restore feature to recover your data from the backups.

Data can reside in many places other than just the Documents folders. Depending on the way you configure your backup plan, you can backup Mail which is usually located in a hidden folder outside of the \Documents and Settings structure, for example.

If you want to perform what is known as a "bare metal restore" you need to use an image backup program. Windows Vista Business and Ultimate include this feature. There are also many 3rd party Image based backup programs available. One that I've used in the past is Acronis True image.

-steve

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Thank you very concise and to the point.

Dave

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:23 PM
  • I purchased and installed Norton Ghost 10 prior to installing Windows Live OneCare. The latest version of OneCare nags me daily to remove interfering programs: Norton Ghost!  I do not understand why Live OneCare has a problem with Norton Ghost and I believe OneCare packaging should warn of the incompatibilty!

Also, Microsoft's only bare metal restore solution is to buy a copy of Vista Business. But I cannot find information on what an anytime upgrade from Vista Premium to Vista Business would cost or if it is even possible?

Microsoft online support asks if my copy of Vista was installed on my PC when I purchased it. I answer yes and receive an instruction to contact my PCs manufacturer.  My laptop is from Gateway but it came with an anytime upgrade DVD.

Microsoft's "Anytime Upgrade" web page offers prices for upgrading from Basic to Premium, Basic to Ultimate, Business to Ultimate etc but not from Premium to Business!  Gee it is so easy to get information in the always connected world!

Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:39 PM
  • Thanks for the input.  I've ordered Norton's 360 and Norton's Ghost.

On line with Microsoft Tec's, probably India, they shut me off "REAL QUICK !" when they found out that onecare was a few days expired.

I've trashed MS Studio Expression too for lack of support, bugs and incompatibility.  Ya know, if it doesn't work, it doesn't matter what you paid for the product it just isn't worth it.

Thanks one and all.

Dave

Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:37 PM
  • Cim Siiwel said:

I purchased and installed Norton Ghost 10 prior to installing Windows Live OneCare. The latest version of OneCare nags me daily to remove interfering programs: Norton Ghost!  I do not understand why Live OneCare has a problem with Norton Ghost and I believe OneCare packaging should warn of the incompatibilty!

<snip>

Microsoft's "Anytime Upgrade" web page offers prices for upgrading from Basic to Premium, Basic to Ultimate, Business to Ultimate etc but not from Premium to Business!  Gee it is so easy to get information in the always connected world!

The warning is due to problems with the Norton Live Update program, as far as I know. Programs are marked for compatibility issues based on a number of factors, but Microsoft works with the vendors to let them know why the program has been deemed a problem. The problem could affect OneCare's operation or even cause failures at the OS level.

You can't upgrade from Home Premium to Business. You can only upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate edition.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, December 12, 2008 4:06 PM