Moving command bar buttons for standard entities RRS feed

• Question

• How do I move command bar buttons for out of the box entities? I tried visual ribbon editor and the ribbon workbench solution, neither seems to let me rearrange the buttons. I though I could do it in the xml, but the ribbondiffxml only contains the following:

<RibbonDiffXml>
            <CustomActions />
            <Templates>
              <RibbonTemplates Id="Mscrm.Templates"></RibbonTemplates>
            </Templates>
            <CommandDefinitions />
            <RuleDefinitions>
              <TabDisplayRules />
              <DisplayRules />
              <EnableRules />
            </RuleDefinitions>
            <LocLabels />
          </RibbonDiffXml>

Saturday, April 25, 2015 11:42 PM

Answers

• As per http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29786267/moving-command-buttons-using-ribbon-workbench-2013

The activity ribbon layout sections are different to most sections in that they have named template locations for buttons. You will need right click -> Customise button on each of the buttons you want to change position (phonecall and appointment) and edit the 'Template Alias' property to swap them over. So for example change c4 to c3 and c3 to c4 to swap the phonecall and appointment around.

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Monday, April 27, 2015 9:29 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• hello,

for out of the box button, use ribbon workbench to move the buttons. First you have to customize the button and create a copy before they can be moved.

regards,

Jithesh

Sunday, April 26, 2015 5:46 AM
  • If I right click the button, select 'customize button', then move it within the section, ribbon workbench says 'there isn't any room in this section'. If I move it to another section, it does create a copy and hide the core button, but if I try to then move the copy to the original requested location, I get the 'no space' message again. I'm trying to move phone call in front of appointment on the activity command bar.
    Sunday, April 26, 2015 4:49 PM
  • As per http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29786267/moving-command-buttons-using-ribbon-workbench-2013

The activity ribbon layout sections are different to most sections in that they have named template locations for buttons. You will need right click -> Customise button on each of the buttons you want to change position (phonecall and appointment) and edit the 'Template Alias' property to swap them over. So for example change c4 to c3 and c3 to c4 to swap the phonecall and appointment around.

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Monday, April 27, 2015 9:29 AM
    Answerer
  • ...added follow up to the stack overflow thread.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:57 AM
  • I also posted this in on the Stack Overflow page:

Scott,

I have made the changes as you suggested. However, as the user above posted, it displays correctly in Ribbon Workbench, but it didn't change on my activity entity. I also have a solution with only the activity pointer.

I'm trying to move the other activities button after appointment, because the entity type code for my custom activity entity is no longer in the URL as indicated here: http://develop1.net/public/post/Create-a-command-bar-button-for-your-custom-acitivites.aspx, and I have no idea how to find it now.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 4:17 PM