• Question

• Hi. My computer at work has the following setup:

Use the following address

IP Adress : 10.1.1.102

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Preferred DNS server : 10.1.1.10

Alternate DNS server : 10.1.1.1

I would like to know the following:

1) how the server (2003) is setup in order for me to be able to login and use the resources.

a) where can i find the setup that says IP 10.1.1.125 is allowed to access the server?

2) Why my PC is not setup to obtain an IP address automatically?

3) What is the preferred DNS server?

Please help. Thank you very much.

Friday, February 18, 2011 5:01 AM

All replies

• JanClients,

Each system has specific requirements and I will try to help you with your questions.  IP numbers are broken into four octets of binary code that are translated into digits we can use as humans.  The 10.0.0.0 series IP address is known as a private IP address range that is not use on the internet, but is quite often used for private networks like yours.  Your Subnet Mask is a class B subnet mask that locks in the first two octets of your IP address as the network address (10.1) that leaves then next two octets open for use on your private network.  Your address 10.1.1.102 is broken into two (10.1) being your network address and (1.102) being your host address. Together they make your IP address.

Your preferred DNS is the IP address on your network where the DNS server can be found. Your alternate DNS server is listed as 10.1.1.1 which really looks like a gateway address - meaning if for some reason your DNS server isn't there or can't resolve a name, then your network seems to be sending the query to the internet to find an answer.

All of your computers exist on the same subnet and can therefore access a central server like a Windows 2003 server on that same subnet.  Since you are using Windows 2003, your network is likely set up as a domain; this means the computers will likely be able to communicate and share resources. With a Server 2003 domain, the computers registered in the domain are trusted and can share resources with the server and each other.

If you are looking for the correct steps in setting up your server, buy the training kit books for the Managing and Maintaining the Windows Server 2003 Environment (70-290) or the Implementing, Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure (70-291).  Each starts with setting up the Server and walks you through the different services you can use or will need.

Permissions can be granted to users, computers or groups.  If your specific user account is in the administrator group, you will be able to access the server.  

To find specific permissions, if you are able access the Server you will be able to go to the "Active Directory Users and Computers" snap-in, select it and you will see all the groups, users and computers.  You can go to the specific computer in question (not likely listed by IP) and right click, select properties, then look for a Tab that notes "Member Of," groups that the specific computer is a member of will appear there.  Permissions for server administration are usually user based however...

For obtaining IP addresses automatically, you need to ensure a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) service is running on your network.  Your home router could be the DHCP service or if you want your server to run the service, then you will have to install it and activate it...along with setting the scopes... easy process, but too much to type here.

Assuming a DHCP service is running-- for your specific computer to recieve an IP by DHCP, you will need to find properties for your network interface card (NIC).  Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click on properties, there should be a little round button to click on that says "Obtain an IP address automatically."  You can either allow the DNS server addresses to be obtained automatically or keep them as you noted above..through manual input.  Hit OK and your computer should obtain a new address.  If not, log off, then log on...then you should get a new address.

Hopefully this helps you. If not, please search Technet for extensive articles on setup and trouble shooting.

Regards,

Scot

Scot
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 5:59 PM