error messages in setup RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just bought Windows live one care software for vista today at the store.  The software installed fine but now will not let me finish setup.  I am able to log in, but then it keeps giving me this network error message and won't let me enter the product key to finish the subscription setup.

My internet connection is working fine.  What is the problem?

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have the exact same problem, and it's very annoying. It installs fine, but then when I click the "finish the setup" button, it says I have to log in with my live account (which I do), then it says I'm not connected to the internet, and stops the set up.

But I know very well that I am connected. What's the problem?

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:47 AM
  • Same problem here... Very scary with no virus software on my pc and I really was counting on the one care to protect my pc...
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:53 AM
  • Since you are all reporting the same issues, it may well be a temporary network problem on the server side. However, if the problem persists, you'll want to review the information below and contact support if none of the steps in the KB article resolve the issue for you.

See this post for the KB article to troubleshoot install problems - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1588602&SiteID=2

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:36 PM
  •  DL36 wrote:
    Same problem here... Very scary with no virus software on my pc and I really was counting on the one care to protect my pc...

Hi I was wondering if anyone has tried using the KB troubleshoot article as suggested and did it fix the network connection problem? I seem to be having the same issue, and internet everything is fine. Even turned off windows firewall for it.

Anyone resolved this yet?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Yes, the KB article will resolve this issue in most cases if the problem is at your end.

-steve

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:06 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Yes, the KB article will resolve this issue in most cases if the problem is at your end.

-steve

I have this bug too.  I looked at the KB article but it's written for XP.  In Vista it looks like only the major Programs are shown in "Programs and Features" so I was unable uninstall/reinstall MSXML and .NET Framework 2.0.  I did try Method 4 to no avail (Windows Installer service was not running at the time if that makes any difference) and method 5.  I have a PC where Vista in newly installed and only a few itemswere listed.

What do I need to to next?
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:30 PM
  • Contact support, Todd, if the items in the article that you tried were of no help in resolving the problem.

-steve

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:19 PM
  • I was able to contact someone in support...

I put in the authentication online using the onecare.live.com

Go to purchase onecare under customer support

Then go to activate a product key, click through till you get to the sign in and put your window ID in...

The rest should be self explanatory...

Interesting story, I was putting onecare on both a desk top and lap top...

But after I did the desk top through the internet, the problem was immediately solved on the lap top and I was able to activate it on the lap top the regular way through the onecare program...  Not only is this weird but it negates the theory that something was wrong on their end in the process and more likely a product of the program itself...

Hope this is helpful

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:16 PM
  • It may have been a server issue for the activation path via the OneCare client process. Since you activated the key by logging into the browser, the client activation was able to validate the subscription. Before you activated on the web page, it may have failed to validate (since there was no subscription) and was unable to properly redirect you to the page for entering a key or payment information.

-steve

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 1:35 AM
  • This looks to be a server error that been fixed.  I tried registering into OneCare again directly from the app this night and was able to register.  Thanks for the help.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 2:12 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Since you are all reporting the same issues, it may well be a temporary network problem on the server side. However, if the problem persists, you'll want to review the information below and contact support if none of the steps in the KB article resolve the issue for you.

See this post for the KB article to troubleshoot install problems - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1588602&SiteID=2

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

I tried agian today to do the activation step before trying the KB article and product key was activated successfully. It appears it may have been a server error.

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:54 AM
  • Thanks for confirming that things appear to be working now. I would suspect that it was a server/network issue.

-steve

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 12:55 PM
  • Purchased yesterday ... have been unable to "subscribe" with product key.  Have tried a dozen times, and keep getting msg that says "product key is incorrect".   I' ve checked,  num lock is not on, tried using upper/lower case, etc., and can't find any answers here.  Anyone else with this problem?  Do I need to return the program to Staples?  Thx for your help!
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 4:47 PM
  •  OhioJanS wrote:
    Purchased yesterday ... have been unable to "subscribe" with product key.  Have tried a dozen times, and keep getting msg that says "product key is incorrect".   I' ve checked,  num lock is not on, tried using upper/lower case, etc., and can't find any answers here.  Anyone else with this problem?  Do I need to return the program to Staples?  Thx for your help!

If you are getting an error about the key being invalid, you are mistaking at least one character or you have a misprinted key. The latter is very rare, though it can happen.

I hate the font that they use for the key - some characters are miserable to discern. J and I look all too much alike, as do O and 0.

I recommend that you use a magnifying glass to check the characters closely - I find that I need to do this. If you are still encountering a problem with activation, you have about 2 weeks to get activated, so I'd go ahead and open an email request to support, explaining the problem. See the FAQ and use the Trial user option to start the email request. If you can provide a digital image - scan or photo - of the key to the tech that responds, they can validate the key for you.

-steve

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:55 PM