Change product key from windows xp tablet to pro version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

i tried phil liu's link to change product key without reinstallation. it doesnt work because im changing from tablet version to professional. kindly advice.

With love and light
    Larry
    Friday, May 4, 2007 4:32 AM

Answers

• Larry Yap,

As you have discovered, the Product Key Updater Utility is not designed to work with Windows XP Tablet Edition, or Media Center Edition.

You will have to do a clean installation of the edition of XP you want to install, in your case XP Pro.

Friday, May 4, 2007 2:54 PM

All replies

• Larry Yap,

As you have discovered, the Product Key Updater Utility is not designed to work with Windows XP Tablet Edition, or Media Center Edition.

You will have to do a clean installation of the edition of XP you want to install, in your case XP Pro.

Friday, May 4, 2007 2:54 PM
  • Hi!

This is a sony tablet. If i do a clean installation, i'll lose all the preprogrammed software. And there's no backup copy of the sony software whatsoever. How should i go about this change of Product Key without doing a clean installation?

Saturday, May 5, 2007 10:25 AM
  • Hi Dan!

I could not find software of the required model on the site. And anyway, i would have had to pay for the accessories.

How can i change the product key/product version without affecting the existing sony software?

Monday, May 7, 2007 2:23 AM
  • Larry Yap,

Maybe we should start at the beginning.

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Why do you think you need to use the Product Key Updater utility to change the Product Key?

Monday, May 7, 2007 3:42 AM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-GGRW8
    Windows Product Key Hash: lMzSCRrzqNNaDnz4Y/0T/CcHE6M=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-699-0297791-23450
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.tab
    ID: 1a207c59-f397-4da0-ae3a-db0f52e04971
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: 192.168.0.10:80
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>1a207c59-f397-4da0-ae3a-db0f52e04971</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.tab</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-GGRW8</PKey><PID>76487-699-0297791-23450</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1935655697-220523388-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Sony Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>VGN-UX50</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>R0051N2</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20060429000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>27800A00018400DE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Taipei Standard Time(GMT+08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Sony Corporation</name><model>VGN-UX Series</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>F13E16A34ADD04</Val><Hash>mwDULT37U4XY67twNwZWdbZkdvw=</Hash><Pid>70141-642-4555187-57470</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

This sony tablet doesn't come with a COA. There's none with the Battery Pack or anywhere on the Tablet itself.

According to "MyComputer"

Tablet PC Edition 2005

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Registered to VAIO-UX

So i later bought a Windows XP Professional CD and would like to change the CD-Key to the one i bought.

Since the tablet doesn't come with recovery software sets, i cannot do a clean reinstallation and yet at the same time i want to be able to use an authenticated version of Windows XP.

Please advise

With Love and Light

Larry(Triotech International)

Monday, May 7, 2007 8:03 AM
  • Larry Yap,

It would appear that you used one of the cracks available on the Internet to add Tablet PC functions to the original installation of XP Pro that came with your Sony VGN-UX Series ultraportable Micro-PC.  As you have noted, this cause the factory installation of XP Pro to be converted to a nongenuine installation with an Invalid Product Key.  (Note that current UX models are shipping Vista Business edition.)

As far as I know, the Product Key Updater Utility will NOT work to "genuine-ize" a nongenuine installation of XP Tablet Edition, either into a genuine installation of Tablet Edition or into a genuine installation of XP Pro.  So the solution is to do a clean installation after backing up your data.

If the computer still has the originally installed VAIO Recovery Wizard, you may be able to burn a set of Recovery CDs to recover the computer back to the factory software load including genuine XP Pro.

If you have a genuine Microsoft XP Pro CD for the systembuilder/OEM license, you will be able to use that CD plus the Product Key on the CoA to install XP Pro.  Once installed, this installation will require that you do a Telephonic Product Activation using the Activation Wizard.  A retail XP Pro CD will NOT accept the OEM Product Key.

I have seen these UX series models, but I cannot recall if they come with the Microsoft CoA affixed to the back of the computer.  Due to their small size and the nature of how they will be held, Sony may have decided to put the CoA somewhere else, perhaps under something that is removable (such as inside the battery compartment) or on the included Port Replicator.

Monday, May 7, 2007 1:15 PM
  •  

Hi Dan!

The windows and everything else came with the hardware when i bought it. So to clarify, i did not use a crack to turn its XP Pro version to the tablet version.

If i indeed decide to install my NEWLY bought XP Pro, i would lose the stylus functions and other special keyboard options.

From what i know, Microsoft ships the tablet version of windows XP to the manufacturers directly.

Hence, the solution is to change the cd-key with a valid cd-key from another Tablet version of windows XP.

However, how should i go about the change? That's the real issue.

1) I am unable to come up with a product key changer for tablet version.

2) Microsoft is unable to sell me an OEM tablet Windows version

3) Sony is also unable to part with spare Tablet Windows version.

Thank you for above replies.

With Love and Light

Larry

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:36 AM
  • Larry Yap,

Here is an example of XP Tablet Edition OEM being sold by a reputable online retailer:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16837102094

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:55 AM
  • you are "IT" from the docks!!!!!!!

since when some one with the tablet machine as the os give the functionality want change the os for normal and lose the mentioned because the microsoft don't give the suport any more?????

Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:15 AM
  • This thread was last replied to 5 YEARS ago.

Please start a NEW thread of your own and detail your own problems there.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

<Thread locked>

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:46 AM