Bring It Back RRS feed

• Question

• There is a large group of people who do not want to rely on paper or their financial service providers (which can go bust and/or make mistakes) to keep complete and accurate records of their financial dealings.

Why is Microsoft choosing not to fill this demand?  It is massive - I am willing to pay.

Could someone please explain why Microsoft Money was discontinued?

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:12 AM

All replies

• Very simply: they couldn't make enough money selling it to make it profitable to develop and support it.

Home users won't spend money on software, preferring to "borrow" it or use freeware or web apps or … Even those who bought it would not pay for the annual update versions but still wanted support. Intuit has stated the intent to find a buyer for Quicken because they are having the same problems, despite having the market more or less to themselves. (If they fail to find a buyer, they will likely abandon it as well.) At one point, Microsoft tried to buy Intuit, but the government blocked it on antitrust grounds. And not many people were actually interested in going to the trouble to actually use a computer to manage their money despite early PC era consumer survey data that said that was one of the most common tasks people wanted a PC for.

I should add: when MS abandoned it in 2008, they were looking at a large effort to adapt to changes in IE and corporate abandonment of the MSISAM database engine on which the huge Money '98 refactor was based. One can imagine the product team getting laughed out of the room when they asked for the budget to do that and, when asked how much money they'd ever made for Microsoft, replied "$0, but this time we've got a plan."

Thursday, November 26, 2015 1:20 AM
  • One is compelled to observe it is still very much alive and working, and superior to all the other progs I have tried.

Dr AS

Thursday, November 26, 2015 12:45 PM