Disk has 161% unused space? RRS feed

• Question

• What started out as a "simple" disk replacement has become a major project.  

After replacing the primary disk in my server yesterday, disk management is now reporting the new disk as 161% unused.   What does that mean?  How can a disk have more than 100% of its space available?  

Is it saying that WHS is not using any of the space on the new primary disk?    If so, that's a problem because after installing Home Server Smart, I've just discovered that the secondary disk has some bad sectors and I'm seeing alerts about the disk.  That makes me nervous since it appears that everything is actually only on the secondary disk.  What happens if I need to replace the secondary disk , how does that work?

Athena 

• Edited by Athena.. _ Friday, November 16, 2012 3:50 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 3:47 PM

All replies

• Ignore anything you see outside the console. The Disk Management MMC snap-in knows nothing of Drive Extender; all it knows is that the disk is size X, and free space is (reported by Drive Extender) size Y. This issue has been discussed extensively here in the forums, but searching is unlikely to get you very far. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:11 AM
  • This issue has been discussed extensively here in the forums, but searching is unlikely to get you very far.

I did try, honest...

Does that mean that my backups are on the primary disk then?   I'm going to have to request an exchange for the secondary but I'm afraid to take it out if I'm going to lose everything after all.  

I guess the bad sectors on the secondary  explain why it was so hard to get my system to startup when I put the old primary back -- there were lots of blue screens and dumps before the server finally came back to allow me to backup the shared folders.   Now I have the original external disk that was used to duplicate the folders and a backup of those folders.   If I pull the secondary in and put a fresh disk it, will I still have my old backups?

I vaguely remember reading about how this was supposed to work back during the first WHS beta but since I never had to a reason to test it...

Athena

Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:19 AM
  • For questions about what files may be at risk in the event a disk fails, you can refer to the FAQ I linked in your previous post. This FAQ will help you to locate where everything is (both copies of duplicated files, and your backup database).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, November 17, 2012 4:43 AM
  • This FAQ will help you to locate where everything is (both copies of duplicated files, and your backup database

Okay, after reading both FAQs several times over, I think I get it...my backups are toast.

This is an issue for me because, in addition to initial images of current machines, the backups include machines that no longer exist.  And yes, we have occasionally had to go looking for a long lost file from a discarded machine :(.   

As far as I can tell, my only hope for salvaging the backups would be to get some new SATA disk enclosures and use Partition Magic on my 10-year old XP  machine(or a newer one if PM will run on Win7) to copy the failing disk onto a new one. Is that right? 

Athena
    • Edited by Athena.. _ Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:00 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:48 PM