Won't let me validate windows vista... RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, it's not as simple as it sounds (couldn't really think of a title to describle my problem :3)

When I got my computer in 2007, I installed Office Home and Student 2007 and it was working all fine and everything. But about two months ago, my computer just wouldn't turn on and I had to get it fixed. But when I got my computer back, it had Home Basic on it and the computer guy said that I have to validate it myself (but I didn't know until I'd turned the computer on at home, that there was Home Basic on it) So I thought that it would be okay if I'd just put Office Home and Student on the computer and validate that, but it is asking for the home basic code. So I tried removing Office Home and Student and re-installing it but it's still asking for the home basic code :/

Is there anything I can do about this?
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Amina_7,

Since I don't know how/where you obtained the computer, I don't know what version of Windows was Pre-Installed (and licensed to run on) when it was built (if any). Therefor, I have first provided some background information on different ways of getting Windows. Unfortunatly, I can't "fix" the issue for you, I can only give options that you can chose from, that, depending on the situation, would fix the issue.

There are 3 ways for a computer to have a Copy of Windows on it:

1) Large Manufacturers (like Dell, HP, Gateway, so on) will sell computers that have Windows pre-installed (normally refered to OEM).  All copies of Windows come with a Certificate of Authenticity (COA). OEM computers have the COA as a sticker on the side or bottom of the computer and it will show the Product Key, the version of Windows the key is good for and usually the name of the computer's Manufacturer.  OEM Computers will also come with OEM software that can restore the Windows back to how it was when it left the factory. This by far the most common way for a person to get a computer with Windows on it.

2) Small Manufacturers (like a local computer bulder or a Mom & Pop computer shop) They build computers from scratch and usually install OEM System Builder version of Windows. These types of computers should come with the OEM System Builder Windows install CD and the Certificate of Authenticity sticker would usually be found on the envelope that the Installation CD comes in  and the Product key may be on the COA, but maybe on a card that came in the envelope or on the envelope itself.

3) A Person builds a computer (themselves) and installs a Retail copy of Windows on it or they already have a computer (either from a large or small manufacturer) and install (or upgrade) the existing Windows to a new version of Windows.  In this case the Retail copy of Windows comes in a nice box (like the ones you see in the stores) The Certificate of Authenticity would be on the outside of the box and the Product key would be on a card inside the box, along with the install software.

Options for if you want to use the old Windows XP (and can find the software and product key for it):

You said you originally had Windows XP on your computer, but at this point, I don't know which of the above 3 catagories your XP falls into.  Since there is no COA sticker on the computer, we know it's not #1, but it could be #2 or #3. If so, you will need to find the install Disk and the Product key so you can reinstall XP, using that Product Key and your issue will be resolved. 

Options for using the currently install Vista Home Basic (or anyother version of Windows):

The Repair Guy installed Vista (most likely) because he also didn't see a COA sticker on the computer and since he had to have an some version of Windows on the computer to be able to see if the computer was working correctly, he install a trial copy of Vista Home Basic. 

To continue using that copy of Vista, you would need to buy a Retail copy of Vista Home Basic (from a store) open it, find the Product Key and enter it when your computer asks for it. (Here is the link to Windows VistaHome Basic on Microsoft Store if you would like to order it from there: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Vista-Home-Basic-with-SP1-32-bit/product/566D3FD3)

Or

You could buy a retail copy of any other version of Vista, Windows 7 (or even XP, if you can find it still being sold in the stores) and Install it (using the included product key) and your issue would be resolved. (Here is a link the the Windows Section of the Microsoft store where you can select the version of Windows you want: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows/category/1)

I hope this post was helpful for you,
    Darin SM

Friday, July 24, 2009 6:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Amina_7,

First off Windows Vista and Windows Office are 2 different products and have nothing to do with each other. If I understand your description of the issue, it seems that Installing Office is unrelated to the actual problem.

The problem (as I see it) is you took your computer to be fixed, and the repair person install Windows Vista Home Basic on it and now Windows Vista Home Basic is asking for a product key.

The main question, at this point, is what version of Windows was on your computer before you brought it to the repair person? 

Look for a sticker on the side or bottom of the computer (called the COA sticker). The sticker will have a Product key and will say what version of Windows that Product Key is good for.  The sticker will look simillare to one of these http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa

Tell me what the COA sticker says (do not post the Product Key).

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Oh okay :)

I looked for the COA sticker but there wasn't one on either the side or bottom of my computer, but from what I remember, when I got the computer it had Windows XP installed on it but I don't remember seeing a sticker anywhere on my machine.

Thanks for your help so far :)
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:12 PM
  • Hi Amina_7,

Since I don't know how/where you obtained the computer, I don't know what version of Windows was Pre-Installed (and licensed to run on) when it was built (if any). Therefor, I have first provided some background information on different ways of getting Windows. Unfortunatly, I can't "fix" the issue for you, I can only give options that you can chose from, that, depending on the situation, would fix the issue.

There are 3 ways for a computer to have a Copy of Windows on it:

1) Large Manufacturers (like Dell, HP, Gateway, so on) will sell computers that have Windows pre-installed (normally refered to OEM).  All copies of Windows come with a Certificate of Authenticity (COA). OEM computers have the COA as a sticker on the side or bottom of the computer and it will show the Product Key, the version of Windows the key is good for and usually the name of the computer's Manufacturer.  OEM Computers will also come with OEM software that can restore the Windows back to how it was when it left the factory. This by far the most common way for a person to get a computer with Windows on it.

2) Small Manufacturers (like a local computer bulder or a Mom & Pop computer shop) They build computers from scratch and usually install OEM System Builder version of Windows. These types of computers should come with the OEM System Builder Windows install CD and the Certificate of Authenticity sticker would usually be found on the envelope that the Installation CD comes in  and the Product key may be on the COA, but maybe on a card that came in the envelope or on the envelope itself.

3) A Person builds a computer (themselves) and installs a Retail copy of Windows on it or they already have a computer (either from a large or small manufacturer) and install (or upgrade) the existing Windows to a new version of Windows.  In this case the Retail copy of Windows comes in a nice box (like the ones you see in the stores) The Certificate of Authenticity would be on the outside of the box and the Product key would be on a card inside the box, along with the install software.

Options for if you want to use the old Windows XP (and can find the software and product key for it):

You said you originally had Windows XP on your computer, but at this point, I don't know which of the above 3 catagories your XP falls into.  Since there is no COA sticker on the computer, we know it's not #1, but it could be #2 or #3. If so, you will need to find the install Disk and the Product key so you can reinstall XP, using that Product Key and your issue will be resolved. 

Options for using the currently install Vista Home Basic (or anyother version of Windows):

The Repair Guy installed Vista (most likely) because he also didn't see a COA sticker on the computer and since he had to have an some version of Windows on the computer to be able to see if the computer was working correctly, he install a trial copy of Vista Home Basic. 

To continue using that copy of Vista, you would need to buy a Retail copy of Vista Home Basic (from a store) open it, find the Product Key and enter it when your computer asks for it. (Here is the link to Windows VistaHome Basic on Microsoft Store if you would like to order it from there: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Vista-Home-Basic-with-SP1-32-bit/product/566D3FD3)

Or

You could buy a retail copy of any other version of Vista, Windows 7 (or even XP, if you can find it still being sold in the stores) and Install it (using the included product key) and your issue would be resolved. (Here is a link the the Windows Section of the Microsoft store where you can select the version of Windows you want: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows/category/1)

I hope this post was helpful for you,
    Darin SM

Friday, July 24, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Ok, that helped a lot thanks :)

I did get my computer from a local computer shop and they built all their computers there so I'd be 2. But I wouldn't have a clue where any of the CDs that came with it are :/

I'll just end up buying another copy of vista (or XP) because that seams one of the easiest ways out of it :)

Thanks for your help,
    Amina :)

• Edited by Amina_7 Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:36 AM Wrong Spelling
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:35 AM