none
an error occurred in the remote desktop activex control installed on your computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I have reviewed all previous listings of this error message, but to no effect.
    I have just installed the latest version of whs on an old pc  and all seems ok. However when trying to connect to the server using Windows Home Server Console on an XP based machine I get the message "an error occurred in the remote desktop activex control installed on your computer"

I cannot believe that this has all been tested for your average home user. The installation on the server is not easy and would have put off almost everyone I know and then to be confronted with this error message would cause any normal home user to throw in the towel.

There must be a solution that does not involve significant technical knowledge. I have many friends who like the idea of WHS, but my experience so far is to advise keeping well away.

Can someone please come up with a solution to this problem.
    regards
    David
    PS I have tried all of the techie suggestions so far published but with no result. Maybe Ubuntu is the solution!
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:32 PM

Answers

• Woops! It was Gaistafoara's answer:

regsvr32.exe mstscax.dll

Worked like a charm.

1. From Microsoft Tech net the command run regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\mstscax.dll  that is the proper format! This is what worked for me, the error was "An Error Occured In The Remote Desktop Active X Control Installed On Your Computer".  And also Rhyseti's Post with yhe link he has posted: navigate to registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    2. Add a new “Expandable String value” inside the above mentioned key with a value name of “AppData” and a value data of “%USERPROFILE%\Application Data”. This solved several problems including Password Retention Problems.  Hope this helps some.
    3. regards,
    4. Mark G
    • Proposed as answer by Lunker 1 Friday, November 6, 2009 11:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:55 AM

All replies

• Hello
    I have reviewed all previous listings of this error message, but to no effect.
    I have just installed the latest version of whs on an old pc  and all seems ok. However when trying to connect to the server using Windows Home Server Console on an XP based machine I get the message "an error occurred in the remote desktop activex control installed on your computer"

I cannot believe that this has all been tested for your average home user. The installation on the server is not easy and would have put off almost everyone I know and then to be confronted with this error message would cause any normal home user to throw in the towel.

The installation of WHS is not for the "average home user" at all.  That's precisely why it's not a retail product in the first place.  When you buy an OEM product, you are the support and you are expected to know what you're doing.  If you don't, you should purchase a pre-built server (that comes with support) instead.

There must be a solution that does not involve significant technical knowledge. I have many friends who like the idea of WHS, but my experience so far is to advise keeping well away.

See above comment.

Can someone please come up with a solution to this problem.
    regards
    David
    PS I have tried all of the techie suggestions so far published but with no result. Maybe Ubuntu is the solution!
    Have you tried opening the Console from a different client?  Exactly what point do you get the message (as soon as you open the Console, after entering the password, etc)?
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:32 AM
  • I am getting the same error when trying to log onto WHS from main desktop PC where the connector software is installed.
    Running XP, IE 7.0. Geeting the error when entering the password.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:37 AM
  • Hi Thanks for your comments, yes I realise that I have to provide my own support. However if I purchased a ready built server would the retailer come out and set up my clients? I think not.

Aside from that..
    The error does not occur when the server is down, so the client must have connected. I can also get the password hint.
    the error comes when I hit enter or click on the button, it does not matter if the password is correct or not.

I hope that helps

Many thanks
    regards
    david

Update... works fine on another client also running xp
    Update 2... Works on xp home but not on xp media center, if that helps
    • Edited by mrbigbo Saturday, June 6, 2009 11:04 AM
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Hi Thanks for your comments, yes I realise that I have to provide my own support. However if I purchased a ready built server would the retailer come out and set up my clients? I think not.

No, but a pre-built system would come with step-by-step instructions that tells the "average home user" how to do just that.

Aside from that..
    The error does not occur when the server is down, so the client must have connected. I can also get the password hint.
    the error comes when I hit enter or click on the button, it does not matter if the password is correct or not.

I hope that helps

Many thanks
    regards
    david

Update... works fine on another client also running xp
    Update 2... Works on xp home but not on xp media center, if that helps
    See brubber's post in the thread Client Connector Error -- invalid password (there are 2 different suggestions to try in that thread).
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Thanks for the link, but unfortunately neither of the suggestions made any difference

Regards
    David
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:37 AM
  • Thanks for the link, but unfortunately neither of the suggestions made any difference

Regards
    David

What is your default web broswer on the computer that is not working?  You might try resetting the settings in Internet Explorer (which is where ActiveX is installed).  (Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset)
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Hi

Many thanks for your help, I do appreciate it

I have been having problems with ie8, it keeps telling me that my search providers are corrupt and opening the search providers maintenance screen, just not got round to sorting it.

However doing the reset has not helped with this issue. But interestingly my other machine never had the search provider problem, just coincidence perhaps.
    So as the search provider issue has no solution on the net that I can find I will uninstall ie8 and re-install and see if that works

Regards
    David
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Hi
    Uninstalling ie8 made no difference, ie7 was restored but Home server console still gave the same message.
    Reinstalled ie8 and downloaded all the latest updates but the console is still giving the ame message.

Has anyone any other ideas?
    Its driving me potty not being able to get access to my server without VNC'ing to my other machine and running it there

Hope somebody has the solution
    Regards
    David
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:16 AM
  • Hi
    Uninstalling ie8 made no difference, ie7 was restored but Home server console still gave the same message.
    Reinstalled ie8 and downloaded all the latest updates but the console is still giving the ame message.

Has anyone any other ideas?
    Its driving me potty not being able to get access to my server without VNC'ing to my other machine and running it there

Hope somebody has the solution
    Regards
    David

Do you know if it ever worked?  If so, you might try rolling that client back to an earlier state using the WHS backup feature.  It might also be some app you have installed on that client.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:57 AM
  • I have seen Remote Desktop issues on systems, which had a Beta version of Service Pack 3 installed.
    If you click Start/Run and type winver, which version is shown here for Windows XP?

Do you use a different firewall than the Windows Firewall on the clients? These may also be a reason by blocking ports needed for the communication.

Which video card is installed in the server? If it is an NVidia card (or in rare situations also an ATI), their video drivers may also be a reason for the RDP connection not working. If you logon locally on the server (which is not supported), check the event viewer for errors, warnings of all kind around your logon attempts - or informations about RDPDD.DLL failing to load (the later is a good pointer to the NVidia issues).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:23 AM
  • Hi Kariya

No this would be the first time and no apps installed after WHS install.

Hi Olaf

Windows reports Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sgdr.090206-1234 : Service Pack 3) . Hope that helps
    The video card is a generic card that required no drivers other than that supplied by microsoft, it supports 1024x768
    The event viewer shows nothing at all indicating to me that the PC has not connected, however I do get the correct password hint.
    All updates are via Microsoft automatic updates so its not something I have done (knowingly!).
    Firewalls are as installed by Windows, I use AVG on my clients but not on the server which is a virgin install.

The difference between my clients is one is XP Home the other (non working) is XP media Centre.

Best Regards
    David
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Hi,
    the Windows version number looks as it should.
    Did you try to connect using the Remote Desktop client on the PC (in Start/All Programs/Accessories)?
    User name in this case: Administrator, password is the console password.
    Olaf
    Olaf
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:51 PM
  • Hi Kariya

No this would be the first time and no apps installed after WHS install.

Hi Olaf

Windows reports Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sgdr.090206-1234 : Service Pack 3) . Hope that helps
    The video card is a generic card that required no drivers other than that supplied by microsoft, it supports 1024x768
    The event viewer shows nothing at all indicating to me that the PC has not connected, however I do get the correct password hint.
    All updates are via Microsoft automatic updates so its not something I have done (knowingly!).
    Firewalls are as installed by Windows, I use AVG on my clients but not on the server which is a virgin install.

The difference between my clients is one is XP Home the other (non working) is XP media Centre.

Best Regards
    David

Actually, my question was do you have any apps installed on your client (your XP Media Center PC), not your server.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Hi Olaf

I will try your suggestion in the next day or two, not thought of that one myself so thanks.

Hi Kariya

Sorry I was not too clear, but that is precisely what I meant. Nothing installed on either Server or Clients since WHS was installed.

I will go quite for a couple of days due to other commitments, so thank you both for your help, I will come back with more soon

Best Regards
    David
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Hi Olaf

I will try your suggestion in the next day or two, not thought of that one myself so thanks.

Hi Kariya

Sorry I was not too clear, but that is precisely what I meant. Nothing installed on either Server or Clients since WHS was installed.

I will go quite for a couple of days due to other commitments, so thank you both for your help, I will come back with more soon

Best Regards
    David

Whether you installed anything on the client since WHS was installed is irrelevent.  My question is:  What do you have installed on your client (whether you installed it before setting up your server or not)?  What about applications you installed on your client, but since uninstalled (again, whether you did it before setting up your server or not)?  Are you saying you have never ever installed any program/application/tool/etc on your XP Media Center PC?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:55 PM
  • Hi Kariya

Sorry I misunderstood..

I have shed loads of app installed, from small relatively simple apps such as multiple browsers and malware scanners to Microsoft Blend 2 and 3 preview and Visual Web Developer 2008 Express. Do you want a full list or are you looking for some known suspects?

Regards
    David
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Hi Kariya

Sorry I misunderstood..

I have shed loads of app installed, from small relatively simple apps such as multiple browsers and malware scanners to Microsoft Blend 2 and 3 preview and Visual Web Developer 2008 Express. Do you want a full list or are you looking for some known suspects?

Regards
    David
    That's what I was afraid of.  I don't know of any known suspects, but my guess is one (or more) of those apps is causing your problem.  I think your only real options at this point are A) uninstall one app at a time, B) roll your install back to an earlier version (using the WHS backups), or C) file a bug report on Connect.

A) may or may not ever fix your problem (sometimes some apps don't uninstall correctly and it could leave behind whatever is causing your problem in the first place).  However, if you choose to go that route, I would start with programs that are not from companies/corporations (I would think that those are more likely to have problems with uninstallation).  B) would depend on you knowing for a fact that at one point it did work (which you don't).  You could try it anyway, but you may end up restoring it for nothing.  C) means you would have to wait for MS to see what they can come up with, which could take (at least) a few days.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Hi Kariya

Funny you should say that I was afraid that you would respond as you did.

A is not really acceptable, but as you say may be the only answer.
    B I have not got that far in backing up my machines so no backup to roll back to.
    C OK, But I am suprised this has not already been looked into as others have the same problem, I know only one other on this thread, but there are lots out there when googled

I will have another go in a few days.

Regards
    David

PS Update after looking at Connect...........
    I have looked at other bug reports and this has been reported at least three times but no answers/solution (other than reinstall xp) have been provided. This does not give me great confidence that Microsoft are addressing issues of this type and takes me back to my original comment that this product is not suitable to "home" users.
    The only reason I am still trying to get WHS to work is that I want a "glorified NAS" which is all that WHS seems to be but I also want to be able to run .net applications on my own server. If it was not for this I would have already moved to Ubuntu server edition, its easier to install and works "out of the box" . Just that running  .net is a little more tricky (and if i am honest beyond my skills).
    Maybe i should bite the bullit and buy a copy of Server 2003 from ebay!
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:17 PM
  • Hi Kariya

Funny you should say that I was afraid that you would respond as you did.

A is not really acceptable, but as you say may be the only answer.
    B I have not got that far in backing up my machines so no backup to roll back to.
    C OK, But I am suprised this has not already been looked into as others have the same problem, I know only one other on this thread, but there are lots out there when googled

I will have another go in a few days.

Regards
    David

PS Update after looking at Connect...........
    I have looked at other bug reports and this has been reported at least three times but no answers/solution (other than reinstall xp) have been provided. This does not give me great confidence that Microsoft are addressing issues of this type and takes me back to my original comment that this product is not suitable to "home" users.

Yes, it is.  You yourself have pretty much proven that it's not a WHS issue because one of your clients works and the other one doesn't.

The only reason I am still trying to get WHS to work is that I want a "glorified NAS" which is all that WHS seems to be but I also want to be able to run .net applications on my own server.

Which is unsupported (although I doubt it has anything to do with your issue because otherwise it would affect all of your clients).

If it was not for this I would have already moved to Ubuntu server edition, its easier to install and works "out of the box" . Just that running  .net is a little more tricky (and if i am honest beyond my skills).
    Maybe i should bite the bullit and buy a copy of Server 2003 from ebay!
    You can say (rant on about) whatever you want, but if A) is your problem (which I believe it is), the fact of the matter is it's not a WHS problem (otherwise you would have the problem on all clients, which you don't).  One way to verify that: pull your current hard drive out of that box and put in a blank one, then do a fresh install of XP on it.  If the new install works before you add any apps (other than the Connector software), you will now know where the problem lies.  Once you are sure it works with a fresh install of XP, you can install your apps one at a time (checking your Console after each one) until you find out which app is breaking your Console.  And if that does in fact work (which I bet it will), that will prove that it's a half-baked app (not your server) that is the problem.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 1:33 AM
  • Hi kariya

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you here, we know it is a client issue but it is a client WHS issue, the fact that it works on one machine and not another is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it does not work on a machine. It does not matter what other software is installed.

Any computer enthusiast will install software on their machine, is Microsoft saying that "our software will only work on machines that have approved software installed" I doubt it.

My two machines have pretty much the same software installed and all of the software I have installed is from well known suppliers, nearly all of it from Microsoft themselves.
    I really am trying not to "rant on " as you put it but something as fundamental as this would try the patient of a saint let alone a normal home user (see comment below).
    As I have shown I am not the only person with this problem, just the one who is stoppy enough to try and find a solution.

As I said in a previous posting I will try the suggestions from Olaf and repost after that.

Best regards
    David

Windows Home Server is actively pushed by Microsoft as the server solution for everyday home users, (ref the Microsoft home Server website) All the marketing effort describes how easy it is to use and how important it is to our digital future..... Great I fully support this this but it needs to be easier to install and it needs to work out of the box for ALL. Yes installing this kind of software on a server can be a little difficult but the clients should be VERY easy.

Edit .... If something as simple as running ASP.net apps is not supported and installing "server" applications is not supported then what is WHS? seems to me to be just a glorified NAS. I can do that much cheaper!

Monday, June 15, 2009 2:39 AM
  • Hi Olaf

Yes Remote desktop works fine. As far as I am concerned that closes this thread. Remote desktop gives me more than whs console so I can do without it.

Needed to do a few mods i.e switch off the requirement for ctrl/alt/del so that I can always sign on if whs has downloaded changes that required a reboot.

I think from now on I am on my own as I will be installing Sql server 2005 etc, installing my own asp.net apps and see what happens.
    I will also be dual booting my machine with Ubuntu server with mono so that I can run my asp.net apps.

I will then make a decision on which way to go.

Thanks to all respondants, but I have to say I am disapointed wth WHS, I think Microsoft have missed an opportunity here to give home users a real home server rather than a NAS, I am looking forward to future releases possibly home and ultimate editions!!!!!

Further I have a life to lead and not to spend hours chasing solutuions to things that should work out of the box!

Best regards
    David

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Had the same issue on Vista. Worked fine for a long time, suddenly "An error occurred in the Remote Desktop ActiveX control installed on your computer."

Executing "regsvr32.exe mstscax.dll" on a command prompt solved the issue (don't ask me why).

Ronald
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:17 PM
  • i received the ActiveX error message on one of my clients and was unable to resolve the issue through any of the solutions in this thread. i did, however, resolve the issue by updating a registry key for Explorer. As it turns out, IE7 (and later IE8 after i attempted to resolve the ActiveX issue by upgrading IE) had "corrupt search providers". So added a registry key as suggested here, and viola...fixed and back to loving WHS! Hope this helps other peeps that maybe still need a solution for this little prob!
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:33 AM
  • There are multiple possible causes for this problem, and I'm pretty sure it's not a WHS but a client problem.

There's two possible solutions at the bottom of this thread. If this doesn't fix it please check out this thread on tek-tips.com. Could also be a corrupted user profile, to test create a new user on your system, logon with the new account, then try to connect again. If this works you can create new user profile and copy your data to the new profile

Please create system restore point on the client before trying any of the possible fixes.

A few other things, just to make sure there are no misunderstandings:

1. I guess you are trying to open the console on a client which is in the same network as your WHS?
    2. You are not trying to open the console from a web browser (This will not always work on a local client)
    3. Did you install the WHS connector software (from http://yourservername:55000) and are you opening the WHS console from the tray icon (or the WHS console link on the Start menu)?

Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:33 PM
  •   Wow,  I had the exact same problem and manage to resolve it with your suggestion.

thx

Seb
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:17 AM
  • OMG THANK YOU. This fixed the problem for me too. I spent quite a while reading about this problem, it's apparently not so rare :(
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Sebgo, Please detail which suggestion worked for you.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:58 AM
  • Esassaman, Please detail which suggestion worked for you.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:58 AM

regsvr32.exe mstscax.dll

Worked like a charm.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:19 PM

regsvr32.exe mstscax.dll

Worked like a charm.

1. From Microsoft Tech net the command run regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\mstscax.dll  that is the proper format! This is what worked for me, the error was "An Error Occured In The Remote Desktop Active X Control Installed On Your Computer".  And also Rhyseti's Post with yhe link he has posted: navigate to registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    2. Add a new “Expandable String value” inside the above mentioned key with a value name of “AppData” and a value data of “%USERPROFILE%\Application Data”. This solved several problems including Password Retention Problems.  Hope this helps some.
    3. regards,
    4. Mark G
    • Proposed as answer by Lunker 1 Friday, November 6, 2009 11:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:55 AM
  • Had the same issue on Vista. Worked fine for a long time, suddenly "An error occurred in the Remote Desktop ActiveX control installed on your computer."

Executing "regsvr32.exe mstscax.dll" on a command prompt solved the issue (don't ask me why).

Ronald
    .... THANX!!! 

i was planning to format my eee-pc! :D  
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Finally it worked! I have an HP desktop running Windows XP Media Center that would get the same Remote Desktop ActiveX error, but my other HP laptop running Windows XP worked fine. I tried all of the suggestions up to this one with no luck. I entered the command listed above, re-tried the login, it worked fine the first try.

Thanks Ronaldone!
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:31 AM
  • 你好
    我已審查了所有上市前的這個錯誤信息,但沒有效果。
    我剛剛安裝了最新版本的WHS的試驗在舊電腦和所有似乎確定。但是,當嘗試連接到服務器使用的Windows Home Server控制台上的XP系統的機器我得到消息“一個錯誤發生在遠程桌面ActiveX控件安裝在您的電腦”

我不能相信這都是測試你的平均家庭用戶。安裝在服務器上是不容易的,並且會對推遲幾乎每個人都知道,然後我必須面對這個錯誤信息會引起任何正常的家庭用戶,以認輸。

必須有一個解決方案,不涉及重大的技術知識。我有很多朋友誰喜歡這個主意的WHS的試驗,但我的經驗到目前為止,提醒保持好了。

是否有人可以想出一個辦法解決這個問題。
    關於
    大衛
    PS我已經嘗試了所有的技術人員的建議,但至今沒有公佈結果。也許是Ubuntu的解決方案!

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:15 PM
  • 您好感謝你的意見,是的,我知道我必須提供自己的支持。但是,如果我購買一個現成的內置服務器將零售商站出來,成立了我的客戶?我想不會。

除了從該 ..
    不會發生錯誤時,服務器已關閉,因此客戶端必須連接。我還可以得到密碼提示。
    當我的錯誤來回車或點擊按鈕,也不要緊,如果密碼正確與否。

我希望幫助

非常感謝
    關於
    大衛

更新...正常工作在另一端也運行 XP
    更新2 ...工程在XP回家,但沒有在XP媒體中心,有沒有什麼幫助

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:15 PM