Vote stats, points and other issues RRS feed

• Question

• I'm reporting bugs here, but as they are mostly to do with the recognition system, I'm posting to this forum, not the Forum Issues forum.

I stumbled upon this thread about a week ago, and voted a helpful post there. That worked fine.

Since then it seems the thread has been locked and now all the vote controls say "Already Voted." (I only voted for that one post.) (Bug 1)

Looking at Michael Waltons profile, he has one post (which seems to be correct) and 20 points but five votes in his post I voted for, which should add to 25 points (Bug 2) and only four "Helpful Posts" in his stats. (Bug 3)

As I said, this was about a week ago, so i should think the servers had synched this by now.

Also, while looking at Michaels threads, it shows I've unread posts and an alert set for that thread, both of which statements are false. (Bug 4)

Previously I thought that the Helful posts mean the "number of posts with at least one vote". (Based on this vote abuser who has hundreds of votes but only 101 "helpful posts" in his profile stats) But now there is so much discrepency with what I see in stats and actual posts I've no idea what that stat actually means. What does it mean?

Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:29 AM

Answers

• UPDATE: Okay, I submitted Bug#1-#3. As I mentioned, Bug #4 is a known issue that I've already submitted. Naomi has helped previously with that one.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

• Marked as answer by sipla Monday, January 7, 2013 9:55 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 7:32 AM

All replies

• In the user's Profile Helpful posts means that a post got helpful vote. However, rarely I receive "Helped identified helpful topic" (or something along the way) and get 10 points. It means that one user received 5 or more points in that thread and you were the thread starter.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

• Edited by Naomi N Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:52 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:52 PM
  • BTW, the way to identify such threads is by the hollow star new the thread icon. If you look below in this forum, you'll notice that 'Missing Achievements' is one of such threads. I think it may be also identified by the total number of views.

My blog

Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:54 PM
  • In the user's Profile Helpful posts means that a post got helpful vote.

As you can see from Michaels profile, he only has one post and four "Helpful posts." And in that one post he has five votes. Does not compute at all.

However, rarely I receive "Helped identified helpful topic" (or something along the way) and get 10 points. It means that one user received 5 or more points in that thread and you were the thread starter.

This can happen. I've received a similar bonus by just voting on a post that eventually receives five or more votes. This is not an explanation to the issues I mentioned though.

BTW, the way to identify such threads is by the hollow star new the thread icon. If you look below in this forum, you'll notice that 'Missing Achievements' is one of such threads. I think it may be also identified by the total number of views.

The star means one or more posts in that thread have five or more votes, I doubt views have anything to do with it. None of the bugs I mentioned have anything to do with this or achievements.

• Edited by sipla Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:56 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:52 PM
  • I know, I was not commenting on the bugs you mentioned, I just provided explanations for the questions (or perceived questions) you asked.

The bug you found looks indeed like a bug and I didn't even look into that thread, I trust your explanation.

My blog

Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Bug #4 is Forums (not Profile), and it's a known issue (so no reason to post it again).

I'll submit bugs #1-3.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, December 21, 2012 7:22 AM
  • Bug #1 is also a forums bug, but I went ahead and submitted it.

Thanks!

Friday, December 21, 2012 7:26 AM
  • UPDATE: Okay, I submitted Bug#1-#3. As I mentioned, Bug #4 is a known issue that I've already submitted. Naomi has helped previously with that one.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by sipla Monday, January 7, 2013 9:55 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 7:32 AM
  • Bug #4 is Forums (not Profile), and it's a known issue (so no reason to post it again).
    Bug #1 is also a forums bug, but I went ahead and submitted it.

Even though I frequent the Forums Issues and Profile forums, I don't keep track of which bugs have been submitted or even see every bug other forum users report.

When I set out to report this bug, it was only about the profile stats. I only spotted the "forums bugs" while I was gathering the proper sources (links) for the convenience of anyone reading this and was too lazy to start another thrad, sorry. Anyway, both of the forums bugs are somewhat related to my profile too.. (Which threads do I have alerts on, which threads have posts I haven't read, which posts have I voted on...)

UPDATE: Okay, I submitted Bug#1-#3.

Thanks.

• Edited by sipla Friday, December 21, 2012 9:59 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 9:56 AM
  • Just reviewing this thread and for completeness sake would like to mention that there is activity missing from Michaels profiles activity tab. (Bug 5?) Two of the five helpful votes he has are not mentioned, nor are there entries for his First Forums Reply Achievement or the actual reply. I know they happened over two years ago, but I've seen older activities than that listed. (Edit. Also the "Welcome" and  proposed answer activities are missing.)

Looks like Bug 4 has been fixed. Well done.

• Edited by sipla Monday, January 21, 2013 10:19 AM More activities missing
    Monday, January 21, 2013 10:15 AM