Windows Home Server (Vial) 2011 Installation stuck at 0% while Copying Files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!
    So I recently attempted to install the windows home server 2011 on an empty two terabyte harddrive. I was at first going to attempt the USB way (found on dba-resources), but I later chose to simply remove the hard-drives from my PC and connect the lone 2TB harddrive and use my monitor so that I do not install blindly. But with this, I found out that I could not use the keyboard/mouse so I fixed that by using a PS2 mouse instead which helped me navigate through the installation. But once the installation started, it was stuck at copying files (0%) for quite sometime (30-45 minutes? even an hour I think). 

Here are my desktop specs:

intel core 2 duo E6400

6gb ram

the single 2TB hdd (on which the OS will be installed)

Nvidia 8600 GTS / 500 Watt PSU

Not really sure what else is noteworthy. Also, I am not using a cfg.ini file via a USB drive for this method. I am simply connecting my drive to the PC and using the Disc to boot and to install. If there is anything wrong with this method, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:47 AM

All replies

• Hello!
    So I recently attempted to install the windows home server 2011 on an empty two terabyte harddrive. I was at first going to attempt the USB way (found on dba-resources), but I later chose to simply remove the hard-drives from my PC and connect the lone 2TB harddrive and use my monitor so that I do not install blindly. But with this, I found out that I could not use the keyboard/mouse so I fixed that by using a PS2 mouse instead which helped me navigate through the installation. But once the installation started, it was stuck at copying files (0%) for quite sometime (30-45 minutes? even an hour I think). 

Here are my desktop specs:

intel core 2 duo E6400

6gb ram

the single 2TB hdd (on which the OS will be installed)

Nvidia 8600 GTS / 500 Watt PSU

Not really sure what else is noteworthy. Also, I am not using a cfg.ini file via a USB drive for this method. I am simply connecting my drive to the PC and using the Disc to boot and to install. If there is anything wrong with this method, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.

The initial portion of the install (copying files to disk) would imply a disk error. (most likely the os doesn't see the disk)
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Hmm. interesting, then why should the installation allow me to select the harddrive which it cannot later recognize (while copying files). Still looking for a solution to this...
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:32 PM