To Renew Subscription or Not? RRS feed

• Question

• My current subscription will be expiring in about one week's time. Have been thinking whether to continue on the renewal or simply go for other software....

Recently, have saw a demo on the latest version from Norton, i.e. "Norton 360". It was pretty impressive and looks like having better protection features as compared to Windows Live OneCare.

Like to find out, upon renew, will it be upgraded to the latest Window Live OneCare Version 2.0?

Anyone care to comment?

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:28 PM

Answers

• You should *already* be on version 2.0.2500.22. If you have not yet been updated to 1.6, you may want to consider reinstalling OneCare and activating with your LiveID for the current subscription (before uninstalling, confirm the Subscription ID by clicking Help/About... in OneCare.)

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:30 PM

All replies

• You should *already* be on version 2.0.2500.22. If you have not yet been updated to 1.6, you may want to consider reinstalling OneCare and activating with your LiveID for the current subscription (before uninstalling, confirm the Subscription ID by clicking Help/About... in OneCare.)

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:30 PM
  • Thanks Stephen, mine is the current version 2.0.2500.22 after checking.

Last year, when I purchased the software, the catalog clearly spelt out the distinct advantages over other softwares like Norton, Macfee etc.

How about the current version? Is there any distinct benefits in terms of protection compared to the ones just mentioned? Or, has the other brands of softwares improved & overtaken Windows Live OneCare in terms of their technologies, protection etc.?

Care to feedback your expertise in this area?

Really concern about the improvement, updates, and protection level upon the renewal of Windows Live OneCare. Do not want to regret later, when I realised that the technologies plus the other features are far behind others after renewal.

Likewise, I think this is also an important concern for other subscribers.

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:28 PM
  • I think I'll leave it to others to comment on the relative worth of OneCare vs. McAfee and Norton. Personally, I won't let either of them on any of my PCs. That's me, though.

In other threads, it has been mentioned that backup on Norton 360 is more flexible than OneCare backup. As far as protection, none are perfect. You could make a case that McAfee and Norton have been doing security software longer than Microsoft, so may be better by virtue of experience, but in my experience, OneCare does a very good job of protecting my PCs and my wife's PC.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:29 PM
  • The other vendors were forced by the release of OneCare to rethink their marketing approach of selling 'bundles' and go the subscription route to provide not only malware detection updates, but also program updates throughout the subscription term. They've also done as expected and added many of the 'features' contained in those older products along with a few new ones into their subcscription products.

OneCare has also added features in the 2.0 version to increase WiFi security, improve multi-PC management and other visible items. There have also been some less visible changes to aid in the detection and collection of possible new malware applications which exist on user PCs.

Unlike any other security vendor, the Microsoft Anti-Malware development group (who produce the detections) are provided the aggregate collection of new or potential malware by OneCare, the ForeFront business product suite and the Malicious Software Removal Tool which is installed and run on most Windows PCs automatically each month as part of the Windows Updates. This aggragate collection ability is unlikely to be rivaled by many of the other vendors out there.

So the question really becomes your own priority. If you primary concern is the addition of features, tools and advanced configuration, the others may be worth a look. If, however, you are primarily concerned about the protection and simplicity of use that OneCare is designed to provide, it might remain a better fit.

I personally use OneCare due to this simplicity of use and management, especially on the PC I provide for my sister and nephews to use. I have better things to do than spend my time managing their PC when I visit.

OneCareBear

Monday, February 25, 2008 6:50 PM
  • Good replies or answers for both you moderators!!!

YES! These are frank opinions which I want to hear from moderators yourselves with no unbiased answers.

With that said, I WILL continue to renew my subscription 3 days prior to expiry.

One last question:

In about 6 to 9 months time, I will be upgrading my laptop. How will that affect my subscription? What I mean is, since my subscription will be done online, what are the procedures?

For information, I still have the previous version of Windows OneCare CD copy bought one year ago. Only 1 user license is used. Do I need to re-install it for the new laptop and then use whatever new subscription key to download the new or latest version.....?

Please advise.

Sorry and pardon me for ignorance since it is the first time I renewed the software and then confirmed to upgrade the laptop 6 to 9 months in the near future.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:50 AM
  • When you get your new laptop, simply install OneCare and activate with your LiveID for our subscription. No further action is needed. If you leave OneCare on the old machine, it is still part of your subscription - you are allowed to have 3 active copies runing.

If you are using the Circle functionality and make one PC in the Circle a hub, you can, optionally, remove the "ghost" PC from the list of computers in the Circle if the old PC is disposed of or if you have uninstalled OneCare from that machine.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:19 PM