Drive Pooling and Backup in WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Guys...

I have just 'upgraded' my server from WHS r1 to WHS 2011 and am regretting it ;-( as I have a number of issues... my number ONE is below!

1) in WHS r1 you were able to pool drives.  it appears you are unable to do this in WHS 2011.  This presents challages as I was hoping to 'replicate' my Data.  Given, I currently have 2 x 500GB SATA drives installed and the OS can see both of them.  D: where the OS and data resides and F: is currently empty.  I would like to replicate D: to F: but I am unable to do so as when I attempt to configure the back up the F: drive doesnt appear as an selectable option. 

Is this normal?  Can you RAID the disks in WHS 2011 as you were unable to in WHS r1?

Help NEEDED...

Thanks,

Steve.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:00 AM

All replies

• Steve

As ou have noticed, Drive Extender has been removed from WHS 2011 and with it folder duplication - I will not discuss that as it has been done to death already on this board. As for your particular question, you have a number of options (and possibly others):

• Remove the F: drive and put it back but as Server Storage rather than as data storage. That way you can schedule server backups multiple times per day but new data is not protected from a single drive failure until the next backup has run. You can go one step further and us a second backup disk (easier if they are for example mounted in a drive caddy) and swap that with the firs which you remove offsite to protect from fire, flood etc.
    • Use a 3rd party tool (unsupported if run on the Server and not written for the Dashboard) to copy data from your current D: to F:, thus providing a form of folder duplication. You could run something like SyncToy on a Client to copy between shares.
    • Set up a RAID with the two disks to provide high data availability in the event of a single disk failure - does not allow offsite backup without more disks allocated to Server storage (limited to 2TB).

The following is how to allocate a drive to Server bakup rather than internal storage:

• Add a blank drive into an internal server slot
    • DO NOT allow format as this assigns a drive letter and allocates to Server storage
    • Set up Server Backup and select disks (may need to tick “Show all drives” box)
    • Allocate drive to backup

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Phil,

Thanks for your assistance with this matter... Does WHS 2011 support RAID? 

Thanks,

Steve.

Monday, October 17, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Yes, see third bullet point above.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 12:47 PM