Is it a performance degrade? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

If I use Microsoft Synchronization Framework for synchronization,

1) Is it compulsory to have tombstone table for each table which I am going to synchronize?
    2) If I write 3 triggers for each table, don't you think the performance will be degraded?

Thanks
    Sree
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 5:24 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:37 AM

Answers

• SQL Server Change tracking does not use triggers.  It runs as a service which parses log files to my understanding.  Therefore, it is much more efficient.  It has an automatic cleanup feature as well.  So you can tailor the amount of change history you keep on disk to suit your needs.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:35 PM

All replies

• You only need tombstone tables on the tables for which you want to apply deletes from the server to the client.

If you don't like triggers, look into SQL Server Change Tracking.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:00 PM
  • I totally agree with you. But SQL Server change tracking also intern does the same job(triggers the data insert into the change tracking tables), right? So, if I understand your answer correctly, if we need to implement synchronization, some way we have to compromise with the performance and disk space.  Is it right?
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:18 AM
  • SQL Server Change tracking does not use triggers.  It runs as a service which parses log files to my understanding.  Therefore, it is much more efficient.  It has an automatic cleanup feature as well.  So you can tailor the amount of change history you keep on disk to suit your needs.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Thanks much.  Moreover, If I have IDENTITY column specified on the tables, the same IDENTITY is being used as foreign key in the transaction tables, Will I be able to update the data and the same rows will be replaced with the new IDENTITY values and the same will reflect in the transaction tables aswell?
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:04 PM