none
Windows 10 can't connect via DHCP sourced IP address to Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have two laptops with the same problem. Our house is a fairly large house with many computers in it, both laptops and desktops, phones, iPads, etc.  my two laptops connect just fine with computers on both the intranet and the Internet via Wi-Fi with a DHCP sourced IP address (IPv4) but neither of them can see or can connect to the Windows Home Server 2011.  However, as soon as I switch them over to static IP addresses, they connect perfectly.  I never had this problem with Windows 7; it is a new problem since I converted to 10.  Any ideas on the cause and solution? It's a real pain to have to keep switching to DHCP outside the house and then back to static inside the house. Thanks, Paul

Sunday, July 28, 2019 11:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

》but neither of them can see or can connect to the Windows Home Server 2011
    Is there any error message about the failure connection? 

Have you compared the TCP/IP parameters when issued from DHCP with the static one you had manually configured? Is there any difference? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 29, 2019 9:21 AM
  • yes - "an error occurred while reconnecting W: to \\homeserver\downloads

Microsoft Windows network: the network path was not found.

This connection is not been restored."

and then there is an okay button

yes, all of the IP address parameters are correct. The only difference between the Wi-Fi DHCP parameters and the wired parameters is that the Wi-Fi parameter assigns an address within the DHCP range (192.168.1.126) and the static address has an IP address outside the DHCP range (192.168.1.230).

all of the other parameters are identical. If you double-click on homeserver within file Explorer you get the error "Windows cannot access\\homeserver".  Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click diagnose. If you click on details it says that the error code is 0X8007035  the network path was not found.

If you run the troubleshooter, it says that remote device won't accept the connection, the "detected"

Monday, July 29, 2019 5:44 PM