Windows Defender ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Vista.

I installed Windows Live One Care Version 2 first, then later I found on one of windows or microsoft web site's the Windows Defender, so I downloaded it & installed it. Live One Care let it install, good deal I thought, it looked like everything was going OK, but I would get the notice that Windows Defender is turned off, maybe 5-8 times a day. I would click turn defender on, & it would turn back on. Worked this way for about 2 days, now this morning I fired up the computer & it wasn't long it said Windows Defender is turned off, I click turn it on & it kind of locked up the computer for a while, then at least I could close that window. Done that a few times, then decided to uninstall Defender, go to the uninstall programs & Defender was not in there, I know it was there before cause I seen it there.

I started searching for some HELP & here I am.

If I understand correctly what I read here, I should just leave everything the way it is, because everything is working like it should.

Is this correct ? Or

Is there something I should do ?

Please HELP

Thank You for any help you can give me.

Denny

Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:59 PM

Answers

• One Care disables Defender since it includes antivirus and spyware monitoring. See this post for more detailed information - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1105575&SiteID=2

In Vista, Defender is not in the list of uninstallable programs since it is considered an integral component of the operating system. I suggest uninstalling One Care then reinstalling it so that it can properly disable Defender.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:13 PM

All replies

• One Care disables Defender since it includes antivirus and spyware monitoring. See this post for more detailed information - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1105575&SiteID=2

In Vista, Defender is not in the list of uninstallable programs since it is considered an integral component of the operating system. I suggest uninstalling One Care then reinstalling it so that it can properly disable Defender.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Thank You Jim.

I will do that, thanks for the info.

Denny

Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:37 PM