Sounds like Microsoft Needs more Money RRS feed

• General discussion

• I purchased my PC from Ebay 2 years ago...I asked if the license was valid and was told yes.....now two years later Microsoft wants 149.00 more.  Are they hard up for cash....I attempted to fill out the online web piracy form to try to get my license and I don't have most of the information requested (Remember this was 2 years ago, how I am to remember the Ebay user ID, Transaction number, etc....Ebay doesnt make that information available for that long....I have purchased a lot of items from ebay...I can't remember which one is for the PC....I have a guess but dont want to send the wrong information.....

So we are back to the 149.00....for just a few dollars more I can by a new PC.

How about 49 dollars.....that I can swing......

Thursday, May 4, 2006 12:27 PM

All replies

• kgm32:

We need you to file a counterfeit report in order for us to help with this problem. If your counterfeit report is of high quality (determined by our cryptographic services), you MAY qualify for a free WGA kit. http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

It may also be possible for you to contact eBay and explain to them that you may have been sold counterfeit software from some one using their service and need to look at the records from the transaction to contact the seller.

We definitely appreciate the feedback you’ve given our team. I guarantee you different members from Engineering and Marketing are taking note of this. Realize that Microsoft is not only trying to protect its customers from being taken advantage of, but we are also trying to protect the intellectual property we have worked very hard to develop. 

Thanks,

Greg

Thursday, May 4, 2006 9:12 PM
  • Yes but you are putting both the financial burden and/or burden of proof on the end user. Of course I personally feel you can only do this because you in affect have a MONOPOLY and you would not be doing this if the consumer had any real options (linix is too difficult and Apple OS not an option) in fear of alienating the consumer (which you have done) in fear of alienating the consumer....

Personally, I can not afford either the cost to validate or the time to deal with Ebay (and hope they will give me the information and it will be enough to qualify for a Free WGA) and looking at your report I do not have nearly enough information to fill out the piracy report. That is why I question the price....I truely think if it were $49 people would not question, but at $ 149...I have so ask myself:

What happens if I DON'T validate.....or what ever this is called. Is it worth it.....
    Thursday, May 4, 2006 9:55 PM
  • Kellyskids:

We're trying to educate everyone as to what to look for. I do know our program has identified several EBay sellers (worldwide) that are illegally selling counterfeit software - as we're cracking down on the source of piracy.

-Phil Liu

Thursday, May 4, 2006 11:59 PM
  • That is fine...go after the pirates...I agree you should... but the average consumer who purchases a PC does not know a counterfit from an legit copy so the education is a good thing too......I question the cost of the WGA program (basically purchasing a new copy of XP) to the unknowing consumer who feels they have already paid for their copy.   I have filled out the report but I don't think I will have enough information to qualify for the free WGA....so I am basically going to take my chances with the product as is until I either upgrade my PC to a new one and/or figure out how to use Linux.......
    Friday, May 5, 2006 12:04 PM