MCSA windows 2008 vs windows 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to ask your feedback regarding the certifications for windows server 2008 and 2012. I am not a advanced user with windows server and I started to work in a place that as windows server 2003 and 2008 mainly and that I have to manage. I want to learn more about windows server so I will start studying and get the experience while working and would like to proceed to do some certifications. My questions is being 2008 quite different from 2012 and the certification for 2008 is ending in July, should I try to get the 2008 and then after 1 year the 2012 or should I go for the 2012? Thanks for the feedbacks.

Rgs,

Ricardo

• Edited by rluismendes Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:53 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:52 AM

Answers

• Let's put it this way.

If you are not going for the certification (assuming you have zero certifications with regards to Windows Server 2008), then it is good that you can just learn the functionality and how things works in that version as most organization will still use Windows Server 2008 for a while.

---

If you are into certification, then why not consider attending class training from authorized learning partners and get yourself equip with the necessary skills for the certification. As for experience, you may not be able to pick up real-life experiences for Windows Server 2012 yet, but soon.

Cheers.

Regards,
    Milton Goh
    MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Blog: blog.nerdytwo.com
    Twitter: @miltongoh

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, February 1, 2013 12:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Friday, February 8, 2013 5:08 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Ricardo,

I am going down the MCSA 2008 route this year and aiming to get my exams all done by July, well before then if possible. However I have read on other forums that these exams don't actually expire in July and there seems to be a bit of confusion out there- considering the 2003 are only just expiring this year I imagine we have longer to get it done- hopefully someone can clarify though please? I'm doing the 2008 route anyway as alot of our servers are 2003 and we're only just migrating towards 2008 so server 2012 for us is a way off yet!

Thanks,

Craig

Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:06 PM
  • Let's put it this way.

If you are not going for the certification (assuming you have zero certifications with regards to Windows Server 2008), then it is good that you can just learn the functionality and how things works in that version as most organization will still use Windows Server 2008 for a while.

---

If you are into certification, then why not consider attending class training from authorized learning partners and get yourself equip with the necessary skills for the certification. As for experience, you may not be able to pick up real-life experiences for Windows Server 2012 yet, but soon.

Cheers.

Regards,
    Milton Goh
    MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Blog: blog.nerdytwo.com
    Twitter: @miltongoh

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Friday, February 1, 2013 12:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Friday, February 8, 2013 5:08 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Thanks for the feedbacks
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Hi Ricardo,

I am going down the MCSA 2008 route this year and aiming to get my exams all done by July, well before then if possible. However I have read on other forums that these exams don't actually expire in July and there seems to be a bit of confusion out there- considering the 2003 are only just expiring this year I imagine we have longer to get it done- hopefully someone can clarify though please? I'm doing the 2008 route anyway as alot of our servers are 2003 and we're only just migrating towards 2008 so server 2012 for us is a way off yet!

Thanks,

Craig

Can you please provide a link to the thread(s) where you read this.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, February 1, 2013 12:03 AM