none
Second machine cannot read backed up files RRS feed

• Question

• I have been faithfully backing up my desktop every month or so to an external hard drive using SyncToy.  I am going to have to do a factory recovery on my desktop (Win XP) due to a virus/malware infection which has caused Windows to constantly freeze after 2 minutes or less from boot. 

I took my backup hard drive to another computer in the house to check whether I had certain files since my last backup, and the second computer tells me that the drive is not accessible: access is denied.  On the second machine (Vista)  I cannot read or see any of the files I backed up to the external hard drive.  However, I was always able to see and read any backed-up files on the external drive from my original desktop. 

Is there a way to break the denial so I can see my files on a working machine? 
    Is there a setting in SyncToy I should have used to eliminate the problem of accessing the backed-up files from another computer?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hi -

Actually I suspect the problem has to do with Windows XP vs Vista than any setting on SyncToy. SyncToy copies files/folders to destination drives using exactly the same permissions on the source disk. This is likely because the files/folder had permissions to be read only by a particular username/password on the XP box. YOu are going to have to remove this restriction on the files/folders manually on the XP box before you can view it on another machine.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:11 AM
  • Okay, If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying perhaps that there should be no password on the user that creates the files when they create the file?   This machine has never been on a network, so I don't believe that there are any user permission restrictions on its files other than default XP OS, and the user password ... If I am wrong, please identify which user permissions you are talking about.  Before I do my recovery (still waiting for the disks from Sony), I went ahead and cloned the hard drive as a safe backup.   I plugged the cloned hard drive to the Vista machine, and it asked if I wanted to continue once it recognized the security provisions on the cloned drive.  I said yes, and I was fully able to read it the XP hard drive from the Vista machine.  So I don't think it's a problem between Vista and XP.  Which XP permissions might you be referring to?
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:05 PM