none
MS Money shuts down immediately after opening - "...unable to load a required library autoupdate.dll" Error code: 0x0000045a RRS feed

• Question

• This issue is driving me crazy - suddenly my Money 2005 UK immediately shuts down after starting.

The error message goes something like "We were unable to load a required library autoupdate.dll. Error code: 0x0000045a". I have only recently switched to Windows 7 but MS Money was working happily up to a couple of weeks ago (cannot pinpoint the issue as I only run MS Money once a month)

I've been searching for a solution so long I remember the message and error code off by heart :-(

I have tried EVERYTHING remotely suggested including:

• reinstalling MS MONEY (Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe); I have even tried the International version - same thing happens.
    • running in compatability mode (Windows XP SP2 and others)
    • running as administrator (and all combinations with above)
    • copying the autoupdate.dll to Windows system folder, registering the dll 
    • Running in sandbox
    • numerous others (regret to say I even tried a couple of those registry fix programs - don't do this!!!!)

Nothing has worked and unfortunately I am still reliant on MS Money (heck I just love it)

If anyone has an idea please post your suggestion and I will try it out - and hopefully one day soon repost my experience with the fix.

regards

• Edited by Cadoova Friday, February 7, 2014 5:16 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 5:07 AM

Answers

• MS Money is WORKING again - WOO HOO Hallelujah. 

Many thanks to DominicP for putting me on the right track to the solution.

Now I'm not technical but it seems MS Money needs a particular MSXML library that Windows 7 does not have - even though the error message (see title) gives you no clue about this.

I installed the latest MSXML4.0 SP3 from Microsoft -- nothing changed. So I installed MSXML4.0 SP2 -- still nothing. 

I then uninstalled all MSXML4.0 versions, and installed the highest service pack of MSXML3.0 I could find.

I downloaded and installed MSXML3.0 SP7 from here ---> http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-XML-Parser-MSXML-3-0-Service-Pack-7-SP7/3000-7241_4-10731613.html

And lo and behold, after a reboot, MS Money runs up like normal.

Now I am very very happy, and look forward to many more years using MS Money until something at least equivalent appears!

• Marked as answer by Cadoova Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:03 AM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:02 AM

All replies

• A remote possibility:

http://www.money.mvps.org/faq/article/440.aspx

mentions this type of error.  Maybe some other program has made changes to your LAN settings?  Did you just update IE?

Bill Becker

Friday, February 7, 2014 10:11 PM
  • Sorry for the delay between posts. I will check here more often!

This is still a current problem for me. Unfortunately the IE LAN settings suggestion (link above) didn't help. I turned it from auto to manual and back again, rebooted etc but no change.

I am convinced this problem happened after an update to IE or Windows but I haven't been able to isolate it. I only use Money once a month so its not a problem I can narrow to one update. 

For now I get by with a temporary MS Money installation on my children's computer... until this thing gets solved.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 1:18 PM
  • Thanks Dominic - I'll try this out and report back later.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:54 AM
  • This might not have anything to do with your problem. Like you I really like the program. I changed to the free Sunset version when MS dumped us. I manually download statements from the bank and investments. I was not aware old versions of money still worked? I also use the hleofxquotes java build program and it works well. Sunset change over from 05 Premium was easy at the time.

Yesterday I downloaded some financial data and hurriedly said yes when it asked me if this was the same transaction  or a different one (the answer was no). Messed up something because the next time I went to use the program it closed immediately and said program must shut down. This has happened  once before so I used same restore procedure I had used once before. I have years of data so scary.

Find backup file that is not the latest one. Right click and click open. Money opens up with restore menu. Be sure and select the right one to restore. That can be a little confusing because it did not default right for me. The good news is you can repeat if you get the wrond one. See where last is on bank account or investments. Download all sights you need to update. It will do this correctly.

• Edited by ernieshell Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:43 PM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:43 PM
  • MS Money is WORKING again - WOO HOO Hallelujah. 

Many thanks to DominicP for putting me on the right track to the solution.

Now I'm not technical but it seems MS Money needs a particular MSXML library that Windows 7 does not have - even though the error message (see title) gives you no clue about this.

I installed the latest MSXML4.0 SP3 from Microsoft -- nothing changed. So I installed MSXML4.0 SP2 -- still nothing. 

I then uninstalled all MSXML4.0 versions, and installed the highest service pack of MSXML3.0 I could find.

I downloaded and installed MSXML3.0 SP7 from here ---> http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-XML-Parser-MSXML-3-0-Service-Pack-7-SP7/3000-7241_4-10731613.html

And lo and behold, after a reboot, MS Money runs up like normal.

Now I am very very happy, and look forward to many more years using MS Money until something at least equivalent appears!

• Marked as answer by Cadoova Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:03 AM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:02 AM
  • Ernieshell

Turns out this wasn't the problem but I greatly appreciate your post because its a great tip and may help others - and I think you know and understand how very very anxious and uncomfortable one gets when he/she cannot get access to the financial dashboard of their life all of a sudden!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:07 AM
  • PS. You still need to right-click MS Money to Run As Administrator for this to work.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:20 AM