Synch exiting folders on rebuilt pc RRS feed

• Question

• I have had to reinstall the operating system on my PC.  My data that has previously been sychronised via Live Mesh is still there on a second disk.  How do I relink the folders to Live Mesh on the new boot to the existing locations?
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Once you have added the PC with the reinstalled OS to your Live Mesh (from the Devices page of www.mesh.com) a Live Mesh shortcut folder should appear on your desktop.  If you double-click on this folder, the synchronization dialog box will appear.  You can then click "Browse" and select the location of the existing folder you want to sync with.  You'll be asked if you want to merge the contents of the folders; click Yes and your folders will start synchronizing.

Be aware, however, that the user experience in a scenario like this one (where the data already exists on the device that you're adding to your mesh) is currently less than ideal.  You may encounter issues like the one that tfang describes, where a large number of conflicts are generated (even if the files being synced are substantially the same).  Also, since we do not yet have "delta sync", where only the changes in a file are synchronized between devices, if Live Mesh detects a difference between two files (which can be something as simple as a last-time-played tag on an audio file, for example) it will download the entire file again (tfang, this sounds like what you're seeing - and right now that is as expected, though we do plan to improve this experience with future releases).

I hope that helps.

Ben.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:15 PM

All replies

• I have the exact same problem. After answering yes to the question "do you want to merge with the destination folder", live mesh starts to re-downloading files which are already in the folder. Then there are lots of conflict messages in live mesh.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 1:04 AM
  • Hi,

Once you have added the PC with the reinstalled OS to your Live Mesh (from the Devices page of www.mesh.com) a Live Mesh shortcut folder should appear on your desktop.  If you double-click on this folder, the synchronization dialog box will appear.  You can then click "Browse" and select the location of the existing folder you want to sync with.  You'll be asked if you want to merge the contents of the folders; click Yes and your folders will start synchronizing.

Be aware, however, that the user experience in a scenario like this one (where the data already exists on the device that you're adding to your mesh) is currently less than ideal.  You may encounter issues like the one that tfang describes, where a large number of conflicts are generated (even if the files being synced are substantially the same).  Also, since we do not yet have "delta sync", where only the changes in a file are synchronized between devices, if Live Mesh detects a difference between two files (which can be something as simple as a last-time-played tag on an audio file, for example) it will download the entire file again (tfang, this sounds like what you're seeing - and right now that is as expected, though we do plan to improve this experience with future releases).

I hope that helps.

Ben.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Thanks for your quick reply.

I think you might double check how you detect the change between two files. Most of files I need to sync are iso files, pdf files, exe files. They are already sync'ed before, I didn't change them in any way. Or maybe live mesh is changing their time stamp (last modified time?) This looks like a bug if it is true. Live mesh should  definitely treat these files as same if the user never changed them. This is much more important then "delta sync'ing". I wish I have backed up some of my files, they are lost after I tried to clean up some of the conflicts. The deleted files are not in Recycle Bin.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Hi tfang,

Thank you for the suggestion.  We know there are improvements we need to make to the sync logic, and some of those improvements will be coming in the next release.

What concerns me, though (and surely is concerning for you), is the apparent loss of data.  Please send email to lmprev@microsoft.com describing your problem and someone will work with you right away.  We may be able to help you recover any missing files.

Ben.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Many thanks Ben.  I think I will make sure that my backups are solid before I rejoin the Mesh on this system.

Regards,
    Gary
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:52 PM