error 0xC004E002 now 0x80070426 RRS feed

• Question

• We had a sudden and complete power outage while the computer was running on 'sleep'. Upon rebooting it we were prompted with error code -0xc004e002. This would make it impossible to log onto any user including admin. We restarted the computer, unplugged, and restarted. Upon reboot we got to the login screen and when we choose an active user now we get prompted with an activation error code- 0x80070426. This has been the error code for many times now. Please help!

Inspiron 530, Windows Vista Home Premium 28Bit

Im a bit hesitant to boot into safe mode or try to return to a previous version-upon looking at other people's issues they have only been worsened by these problems. I can follow directions very well, but am just nervous to venture out without any guidance. Thanks in advance!
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:12 AM

Answers

• Hello AndieLiz,

When you boot in and get prompted with an activation error code- 0x80070426, does it say anything about being 'Non-Genuine'? does it give any option, such as "learn More Online?

I do recommend logging into safe mode and saving all your importent files, off the computer, just in case the problem get worse.

Once you have backed up your files, I recommend that you try restoring to a past restore point. To do that:
    1) Boot into Safe Mode
    2) Click Start Button
    3) Click "All Programs"
    4) Click "Accessories"
    5) Click "System Tools"
    6) Click "System Restore"
    7) Select the first Restore Point with the Time/Date of before the power outage.

Once the restore is complete, reboot into Normal Mode and see if the issue is resolved.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, August 21, 2009 5:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:49 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hello AndieLiz,

When you boot in and get prompted with an activation error code- 0x80070426, does it say anything about being 'Non-Genuine'? does it give any option, such as "learn More Online?

I do recommend logging into safe mode and saving all your importent files, off the computer, just in case the problem get worse.

Once you have backed up your files, I recommend that you try restoring to a past restore point. To do that:
    1) Boot into Safe Mode
    2) Click Start Button
    3) Click "All Programs"
    4) Click "Accessories"
    5) Click "System Tools"
    6) Click "System Restore"
    7) Select the first Restore Point with the Time/Date of before the power outage.

Once the restore is complete, reboot into Normal Mode and see if the issue is resolved.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, August 21, 2009 5:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:49 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Thanks for responding. Sorry I was on vacation.

There is nothing about 'non-genuine'. When I went to check the 'genuine' status this time, the computer went through a complete automatic updating sequence then to the same problem. What it does say when there error pops up is-'error occured when Windows tried to activate'. After that you can 'learn more' which only describes the problem as 'the service has not been started'. So yes it is probably an issue with validation of a genuine windows program. There have been no other changes or updates regarding the issue since my original post.

AndieLiz
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:15 AM