ms alternatives to hs 11 RRS feed

• Question

• does ms have any other easily setup server prog(besides either whs progs) that can be used as a server/backup for a 3 computer home? ihave a spare core2 duo comp with 4 gigs of ram.

i was and actually have vail. i got it several months ago whne i first started lurking in these forums. i put pf building it cause i figured ms would fix some of the main problems. just started monitoring these forums again & im not sure i want to deal with the potential problems.

i was hoping there might be a vers of 2008 rc2 that would be suitable but dont know enough to make an informed choice. any help appreciated.

i realise this post is probably off topic but this seemed like best place for the help im seeking. 

Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:27 AM

Answers

• The backup engine is only available in the three products built on the "Colorado" code base (which means that if one can have a particular issue, all can): Windows Home Server 2011, Small Business Server Essentials 2011, and Storage Server Essentials 2008R2.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by mike2h Saturday, June 16, 2012 4:05 AM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:07 AM
  • i know this info is buried in here somewhere buy if i  do go with whs(& i probably will) does it have a built in drive config- raid/jbod/etc? i ve got 2 500 gig wd re4 ill be using and the mb i have doesnt have raid option in bios.

ty for patience :)

and thx for resonses everyone helped me dice t otry the whs first.

• Edited by mike2h Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:57 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:56 PM
  • I can restore my laptop with 120GB SSD in less than 1 hour!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 2:46 AM

All replies

• The backup engine is only available in the three products built on the "Colorado" code base (which means that if one can have a particular issue, all can): Windows Home Server 2011, Small Business Server Essentials 2011, and Storage Server Essentials 2008R2.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:07 AM
  • ty for reply. if understand u correctly something like small ...essentials '11 would perform similar/same function(whs11) but it would have many/same issues that i have seen constantly reported here since release of whs 11?
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:39 AM
  • It's built on the same code base, so it's going to have the potential for the same issues.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:25 AM
  • What are the specific problems you are concerned about. Within its design limitations it works well for me.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:35 AM
  • What exact issues are you referring to?

I have WHS11 running with 5 desktops/laptops at home and haven't really had any problems. As a matter of fact WHS backup just saved my a@# when one of my laptops blew up and I was able to do a full metal restore and was back up and running like nothing ever happened. It took around 20 hours to do the restore but it worked perfectly.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:50 PM
  • i know this info is buried in here somewhere buy if i  do go with whs(& i probably will) does it have a built in drive config- raid/jbod/etc? i ve got 2 500 gig wd re4 ill be using and the mb i have doesnt have raid option in bios.

ty for patience :)

and thx for resonses everyone helped me dice t otry the whs first.

• Edited by mike2h Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:57 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:56 PM
  • What exact issues are you referring to?

I have WHS11 running with 5 desktops/laptops at home and haven't really had any problems. As a matter of fact WHS backup just saved my a@# when one of my laptops blew up and I was able to do a full metal restore and was back up and running like nothing ever happened. It took around 20 hours to do the restore but it worked perfectly.

is 20 hours to restore a single client normal? an assumption on my part, but usually laptops arent holding as much data as a desktop might.
    Friday, June 15, 2012 8:26 PM
  • I can restore my laptop with 120GB SSD in less than 1 hour!

Saturday, June 16, 2012 2:46 AM
  • i went ahead & installed- np. updated & then backed up 1 comp -np. back u pothers tonite & hopefully i never have to find out how slow/fast/if will work restore works:).

thx all.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 4:04 AM
  • Yeah, 20 hours is a really, really long time. This particular laptop has a 250 GB drive, of which about 100 GB is free, so I restored around 150 GB. I've restored individual files/folders before and those seemed to go at much more of a 'normal' speed. I've seen posts here and there about the restore speed, it seems to be really slow when doing these full metal restores.

I wish it were faster but hey, at the end of the day,  it was still a life saver.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 11:04 AM
  • Yeah, 20 hours is a really, really long time. This particular laptop has a 250 GB drive, of which about 100 GB is free, so I restored around 150 GB. I've restored individual files/folders before and those seemed to go at much more of a 'normal' speed. I've seen posts here and there about the restore speed, it seems to be really slow when doing these full metal restores.

I wish it were faster but hey, at the end of the day,  it was still a life saver.

It's normally the other way around - people complain of the restore time of individual files 8 folders not full partitions!!

Saturday, June 16, 2012 12:01 PM