NEed help with publishing Visual Studio 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there! I've taken over support of a website built in an earlier version of Visual Studio and migrated to VS2013. It is running on an IIS 2012 server and built on ASP.NET. I am new to this environment, and have literally spent days watching Lynda.com videos to try to understand it! I think I get a good chunk of it, but am wondering if someone can answer a few specific questions that I have?

What is the difference between Build and Publish? Do I need to build and/or publish the entire site every time I change a file?

If I change one of the .cs files (controller) that is referenced in a .cshtml file, again, do I need to publish the entire site, or can I just publish that file? Having asked that, I tried publishing the .cs file, and it created a new file that is not in the location that I know the original file is in.  It published it in the website directory, but the file is located in another folder on the server. Or, can I just publish the .cshtml file (I know, this refers to  my previous question! :-) )

Thanks for any help on these...I don't want to break the site, but I've made a change to a controller, and I just need to publish it!

• Moved by Jiayi Li Thursday, October 8, 2015 2:21 AM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 2:07 AM

Answers

• Hi nightowlres,

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

As your issue is related to asp.net, I suggest you could consult your issue on this forum for dedicated support: http://forums.asp.net/26.aspx/1?Configuration+and+Deployment

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, October 23, 2015 10:50 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 2:21 AM