adding a networked scanner/printer (all-in-one) RRS feed

• Question

• I need help configuring the firewall ports to enable an all-in-one device on one of the computers in my circle to function as a network scanner. It is already visible to OneCare as both a printer and a fax machine. I just used the "add a printer" wizard within One Care on the hub PC.

Should I simply install the same drivers manually on a PC not connected directly to the scanner, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks,

Jim Mintin

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:52 AM

Answers

• I moved your post to the firewall topic folder.

Is this printer attached via USB on the machine running OneCare? Can you print to the machine from your other computers in the Circle?

Can you use the FAX functionality on the PC where it is connected?

Yes, you would need to install the software to the other computers to use all functionality and you'd need to contact the printer manufacturer regarding the required ports and the program files that may need to be allowed in the OneCare firewall if it doesn't work after installing the software for the extended functionality. Using the OneCare Printer Sharing feature, you should be able to print from all PCs in the Circle as long as the host PC and printer are powered on, but the FAX functionality would require additional software.

-steve

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:26 PM

All replies

• I moved your post to the firewall topic folder.

Is this printer attached via USB on the machine running OneCare? Can you print to the machine from your other computers in the Circle?

Can you use the FAX functionality on the PC where it is connected?

Yes, you would need to install the software to the other computers to use all functionality and you'd need to contact the printer manufacturer regarding the required ports and the program files that may need to be allowed in the OneCare firewall if it doesn't work after installing the software for the extended functionality. Using the OneCare Printer Sharing feature, you should be able to print from all PCs in the Circle as long as the host PC and printer are powered on, but the FAX functionality would require additional software.

-steve

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Thanks Steve.

I can use the all-in-one as a printer, fax and scanner on the PC it is attached to (via USB).

I can also print to it and see it as a fax machine from my PC, which is set up as the hub in OneCare (my PC lists it as two separate devices in this regard).

I don't have much need for the fax right now, but would like to use the scanner.

I did a live chat with MS and the technician informed me that OneCare does not currently support network scanners.

This was after I mentioned reading about a port configuration change/addition that might enable scanning.

I was afraid to put any drivers or software on my PC for fearing it might conflict somehow with the already configured printer and fax devices that OneCare so easily set up for me. The printer was recognized right away on the network and within a few clicks was ready for use.

I come from a printing background and always had tools for what we called "scanback". Something called "Network Scangear Tool" and some other plugins designed for Adobe Acrobat would seek scanners on the network, allow you to chose one, change settings and direct where the scanned documents would be saved. I know this situation is a bit different, but I would like to try your suggestion - If I could safely install the scanner driver and enable the right port(s)

and functionality in the One Care firewall, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

The all-in-one is equipped with a document handler on it's scanner, so a stack of documets can be scanned at once - more what I am accustomed to other than just flatbed scanning.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Any tips or articles that you can point me to would help. I'm willing to experiment, though just a newbie with OneCare , so I'm a little cautious.

Jim Mintin

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Can you use the scanner on the PC that is hosting the printer?

Let's take OneCare out of the equation for a moment.

If you plugged in the device via USB to a single PC and on that PC used the add printer wizard in Windows, you allowed Windows to use its own drivers to provide the functionality for the printer and FAX. If you were to use Windows to share the printer/FAX, then you should be able to add the printer and FAX on the other PCs on your network from Control Panel/Printers on each of those PCs

Now, add OneCare to the mix, and you've got a firewall that needs to allow File and Printer sharing on the PC to do the above.

OneCare also includes a Printer Sharing feature that shields the average user from needing to know how to add a printer via Control Panel/printers for printers attached to other PCs that happen to be using OneCare activated with the same LiveID - all in the same Circle. OneCare makes printers available to the Circle and, apparently some FAX printers.

To use the extended functions of the printer/FAX/Scanner, you would need to use the manufacturer's software. This should not screw up the OneCare sharing of the printer, though you are potentially updating the driver on the Host PC.

For the other PCs on your LAN, to use the extended features, you'd also need to use the manufacturer's drivers/software. This might screw up the OneCare choice that was easily set up *and* it might require ports to be opened up and a program or programs to be granted access through the firewall, depending on how the manufacturer of the printer or the developer of the software that provides the extended functions has coded the functionality.

I would start with the manufacturer's support site for information regarding the use of their device on a network and with various firewalls.

-steve

Friday, June 20, 2008 3:12 PM