Is it possible to install Office special edition 2003 on a computer with Office home and student 2007 trial version at the same time? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am from Sweden and my english isn´t the best, but I hope you understand my question.

I have a new laptop from Toshiba with the trial version of microsoft office home and student 2007.
    This version do not have the Outlook and I wonder if I can install Office special edition 2003 on the same computer even if the microsoft office home and student 2007 trial version allready are installed. Will there be a conflict between these 2 programs? Or is it better to only install Outlook from the special edition 2003.
    I will buy the Home and Student 2007 version later on when the trial-period is over.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 11:19 AM

Answers

• Hello Eva Anderson,

I am unaware of any edition of Microsoft Office 2003 called "special edition."  I have seen that term associated with pirated mash-up copies of Office and Windows, however.  Please be very careful in examining your materials before you try to install "Special Edition":  make sure the CD is a genuine Microsoft hologrammed CD, with the hologram embedded within the plastic of the CD rather than just a thin label on the surface.  If this is a retail purchased copy, you should have received Office in a nice retail package, and there should be a Certificate of Authenticity on the boxtop of the retail package.  Inside, there should be a DVD-style disc holder (or on older versions a jewel case) and in this case should be a yellow-orange sticker with your Product Key.

Please be aware of the fact that if your Office 2003 is a nongenuine copy of Office, when installed on the same computer as Office 2007 it will cause both copies of Office to be blocked from accessing WGA-gated content at www.microsoft.com.

For more information about your materials, please visit http://www.howtotell.com

The best way to combine Outlook 2003 from an earlier edition of Office 2003 and Office 2007 Home and Student is to install the older edition first then follow with the newer edition.  However, this can't be done in your case because Office 2007 is already installed.  So, when you install Office 2003, at the beginning of Setup choose to do a Custom Installation and install ONLY the program you are planning to use, Outlook.  Uncheck the boxes for all the other programs from Office 2003.

Good luck and post back to tell us how you are doing!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:09 PM