Money Online Services now Ending Oct 1st, 2010 - Moved up 4 months! RRS feed

• Question

• How did I miss this?  Is this new information?  I just got a popup in Money which points to a new KB article here: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2390720

All 5 of my financial institutions are on the Oct 1st list!

I am so frustrated!  I renewed my subscription and paid MS real money, so that I could hold off converting until year end.  Ugh.  I want my money back.

-------------------------------------------

How to know when online services for your Financial Institution will no longer be supported in Microsoft Money
    View products that this article applies to.
    Expand all | Collapse all
    SUMMARYThis article describes the timeline for the retirement of Money’s online service...This article describes the timeline for the retirement of Money’s online services.
    Online Services for some Financial Institutions provided by a third-party services will retire on October 1, 2010.
    The remaining online services for Money (other Financial Institutions, Quote updates, and product updates) could continue as long as January 31, 2011 which is the last date of all online services.

How to tell when your account's Online Services will be disabled

You can tell if your account will be disabled by visiting the web-page at  http://www.microsoft.com/money/bankonline.aspx (http://www.microsoft.com/money/bankonline.aspx)   and searching for your financial institution. Click on the financial institution name link and you will be presented with a Financial Institution Details dialog that can show several options.

If the pop-up Financial Institution Details dialog shows the following text your financial institution will be disabled on 10/01/2010:

Additional Information and Services
    Statements
    Direct Services* are the fastest, easiest way to connect with your financial institution and have your statements automatically downloaded into Money.
    * This service is provided by a third party provider, not your financial institution. It is only available if you have Microsoft Money 2005 or later. You will need to use Microsoft .NET Passport in order to access your account information.
    Your financial institution may offer an alternative means of downloading statements and transactions from their web site into Microsoft Money 2004 and earlier. Please contact them for more information

If you have Direct Services with the financial institution and see the following text, your account will still be available for online updates until 01/31/2011 when online services will be terminated for Microsoft Money.

Statements
    You can also use this bank's bill payment service from within Microsoft Money

Direct Services are the fastest, easiest way to connect with your financial institution and have your statements automatically downloaded into Money directly from your financial institution.

If you have statement download ability with the financial institution you will see the following text and you will still be able to download statements into Microsoft Money.

Web Services allow you to download your statements and transactions into Money by accessing your financial institution's web site and then clicking "Download to Money".
    Back to the top

Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:21 PM

All replies

• I did the same and I also would like a refund!  Anyone have a number to call?

Andrew
    Friday, September 3, 2010 5:35 AM
  • I assume that if I do all my bank and credit card transactions manually in Money, the cut-off for automatic stock updates remains January 31, 2011. Correct? Thanks,

Steve

Friday, September 3, 2010 10:12 PM
  • If you mean you download a file from the bank's website and then import that file into Money, this is supposed to continue working.
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 6:22 PM
  • Dick,

I DON"T download any file from banks or credit cards. I do all my transactions MANUALLY, just like you do. The only downloads I do is the "automatic stocks and funds' stuff" that Money currently provides. I assume I'm fine with my Money 2007 Premium thru Jan 31, 2011. Then I need to decide whether to upgrade to Money Sunset which I have already downloaded and saved on my hard drive and my removeable stick disk OR stay with Money 2007 Premium which I have my original CD from my retail store purchase.

I have a little concern about that original CD since I wonder if it has that SP2 update on it. I know the Money 2007 file in the computer has SP2 but what happens if I get a new computer in a couple of years? I'd appreciate your advice as to how I should approach this transition. Right now I plan to manually enter those stock and fund numbers every week starting in February. I currently have 12 to deal with and I try to keep the number in that range.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

Steve

P.S. Been using Money continuously since 1995 for all transactions, budgets, net worth, reports, etc. 

Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Obviously I was in brain freeze when I replied earlier.

Investment quotes will also end sometime between now and February of 2011. Will that be January 31, 2011? I'd like to think so, but I wouldn't bet on it.

My tentative recommendation is to just go with M+ Sunset. The reason I say this is that it avoids the patches problem and doesn't seem to have any other downside. That having been said, I haven't yet installed Sunset anywhere.

There has been some work done on getting online quotes outside Money and then getting them in Money via an OFX style import. There are other threads that treat that. These methods use Java or python scripts. I suspect as we get closer to and beyond death there may be other means. Somebody even put up a page dealing just with these post-death issues, but I do not have the URL handy.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Dick,

I'm thinking the same as you as regards installing Money Sunset. I know that when I do that Money 2007 is history for me. So timing is key. I would like to wait until Feb 1, 2011 but realistically I expect that by Saturday, January 29th I'll do the update. I'm hoping by that time others who are using VISTA will have successfully converted and will report their results here.  I DO want to AVOID that SP2 patch issue and it does appear that Money Sunset is where I want to be in the future. Please keep us advised here on how everything works out for you. Thanks,

Steve 

Sunday, September 5, 2010 1:32 AM
  • I think the Web Blog Dick was referring to is mine at  http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/ 

By the way, I am now running the M+ (H&B) Sunset edition and have experienced no negative issues.  I get all my bank statements and quotes via PocketSense python scripts (links are in site above) on a daily basis, again with no issues.

Dan

Sunday, September 5, 2010 3:01 PM
  • That's the one. Thanks for posting.

BTW, after all of the reports of problems installing Sunset, I decided to put it on one of my machines (Vista Ultimate; has previously had M+ installed and uninstalled). Worked fine.

Monday, September 6, 2010 6:22 PM
  • Hi Dick,

I was wondering if there is any chance of Microsoft supplying/open sourcing the API specification for the x-msinvestor web app (aka INVISAPI.DLL) that provides/provided online quotes.  This could make a lot of existing Money users who don't mind lifting a little code (as I think Dan and others blogs illustrate) happy  -- as a Money user since 1996, I'd be more than willing to donate my time to the community.  In principle the job of hooking an alternate service in should not be too onerous, since Microsoft already has a means of specifying the service URL in the registry.

Is there a better place that I should ask this question?

Thanks,

Steve

Friday, September 10, 2010 11:46 PM
  • I think the chances are slim to none. 1) It's just not in their DNA, 2) They seem somehow convinced they'd incur liability for something if they did, 3) They maintian that they somehow have agreements with FIs (?) and are also somehow bound by law/regulation (?) to keep these interfaces as opaque as possible--except, of course, to those they elect to open them up to.
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Hi Dick,

Hmmm, that's unfortunate but also a bit puzzling. 

(1) Projects like WiX (MS's open-sourced Windows Installer packaging toolset) show that they are at least willing to "go there".

(2 and 3) I am not sure what the liability could or would be. Are far as financial institutions go, the goal would not be to make MSMoney fully functional in the sense that it was with respect to each FI's private/secured communcation channel with the app; I was under the impression that this was not handled by INVISAPI anyway.  If it were, MS would not need to provide a spec for those parts of the API.

IIRC the online quotes were/are supplied by Yodlee.  What I am interested in is effectively one webservice call.  On the Money side, we'd need to know how the request is set up.  I sort of already know this from looking at the traffic using a network packet analyzer, but it would obviously be good to have the formal spec.  The real meat of what we need is the binary format returned by the webservice call so that the quote update flows back into Money correctly.

This binary format and associated metadata should not be sensitive in any way.  Because Money already has a provision for pointing to the service for online quotes using the registry (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873204/en-us) I should be able to stand up a local webservice on my machine which proxies to some other service on the net and aggregates data from it into the proper format, returning that data to Money.  For example, I could point HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Investor\StockQuotes\QuoteServerURL to http://localhost/myQuoteProxy.dll.  Then when Money makes a request from my local web service, I could translate it into a call to the Yahoo Finance API and get the required data, then re-package it into the proper binary format and return it to Money.

Does this sound at all reasonable?

Cheers,

Steve

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:57 PM
  • Does this sound at all reasonable?

Which part? Your assessment of why MS should support this? Sounds reasonable to me. But apparently not to them. And I didn't just swing at this once with them.

Your technical approach to replacing the service? I've not spent any time pursuing it, but on the surface it seems reasonable enough. My long experience is that the devil is in the details (understatement) and, oh, by the way, I'm not sure we know what interfaces in Sunset they've maimed to what degree.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 4:47 AM
  • To geaux72: I feel your pain.  I have a BUNCH of acocunts in my Money portfolio and several of them are on the list of those that rely on 3rd party providers and for which Microsoft is discontinuing service in a few days.  So, for them I'm out of luck.  Some of my remaining accounts will download properly using the Python Scripts referred to by ameridan above and available on the PocketSense blog.  But I'm struggling with the rest, which _should_ work with the PocketSense Python scripts, but for which I don't know the account number, FID, or ORG to properly configure the scripts. 

Meanwhile, Money does continue to accept and process downloads when I manually log into the institutions' web site and select the downloads myself.  And, as Dick said above, I am hoping other options will materialize as we approach or pass the death date for the Money download features.

Best of luck.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Charlie,

The original turns of events, although disconcerting, has forced me to come up with a solution sooner rather than later.  I've been using the PocketSense scripts, and I cut the cord about a week ago.  It has been working great!  I'm now using Money Sunset w/ PocketSense exclusively.

As for your issues with PocketSense, I would suggest you post a comment on their blog.   Everyone is very helpful.  Just in case you haven't come across this, http://www.ofxhome.com/ has many of the parameters you are looking for.  Additionally, the exact account number strings you are looking for are many times included in the .ofx file with error info.  That is how I found mine out, and I am connected to 5 institutions and 12 accounts total.  Also, a new version of PocketSense was released today, that fixes some issues.

Blake

Monday, September 20, 2010 2:33 AM