firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!,

I ran a scan with spybot. scan revealed windows firewall disabled. When I went to security to turn on firewall, settings are grayed out. I cannot turn firewall on.

What can I do to enable the Firewall?

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 2:57 PM

Answers

• One Care disables the Windows firewall. One Care includes a two way firewall that is more robust than the Windows firewall and since running two firewalls can cause performance and connectivity issues, One Care disables the Windows firewall during installation. You can safely ignore this Spybot warning.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 4:44 PM

All replies

• One Care disables the Windows firewall. One Care includes a two way firewall that is more robust than the Windows firewall and since running two firewalls can cause performance and connectivity issues, One Care disables the Windows firewall during installation. You can safely ignore this Spybot warning.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 4:44 PM
  • Hello Jim,

Thank you for a very fast answer! This has put my mind to rest. I could just see all kinds of ugly things

getting on the computer without a firewall.Thank the Lord you clarified , and I dont have to worry! 

Thank you Again

Jazznanny

Thursday, November 8, 2007 4:04 AM
  • Well Jim I got that same problem but its not letting me turn on either firewall.  I am getting same problem with window firewall and now I know why I am with that one but when I try to turn on one care firewall it says can not do it try again later or restart computer.
    Monday, November 12, 2007 4:21 PM
  •  Hellb408 wrote:
    Well Jim I got that same problem but its not letting me turn on either firewall.  I am getting same problem with window firewall and now I know why I am with that one but when I try to turn on one care firewall it says can not do it try again later or restart computer.

You should contact support. If you are using the 2.0 beta, http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

Support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, November 12, 2007 7:56 PM
  • I figured out my problem myself....I went to msconfig and it was disable on my start up and thats what was preventing me from turning it on.  I enabled it there restarted now im 100% again. 
    Monday, November 12, 2007 8:17 PM
  • I'm a new Live OneCare user and having problems getting file sharing working on this XP Professional computer with other home computers that include W2K.   The W2K system has Zone Alarm since OneCare doesn't support W2K.  I have Admin rights.

When I display the "Security Center" thru the Control Panel, it shows that the Firewall is "ON."  When I click-on the "Windows Firewall" icon on the Security Center page, that takes me to the "Windows Firewall" display with the first tab "General" is grayed-out.  The other tabs, Exception & Advanced are not greyed-out.  Although the "Windows Firewall" is grayed-out, the "Off (not recommmended)" appears to have been selected.  There is also a blue bar at the top that says "For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy." 

Here are my questions:

1. Based upon the previous discussions in this post, the grayed-out area is the old free Windows Firewall while the Security Center status reflects the true status of the OneCare Firewall.  Is this correct?

2.  If not, how do I get control of Group Policy?.

3.  One of my problem determination techniques is to turn off the firewalls.  How do I turn off the OneCare firewall?

Thanks, Ron 

Monday, November 12, 2007 11:53 PM
  • Hello Ron, question one is correct and to turn off the One Care firewall open One Care>Change settings>Firewall>Turn firewall protection off. If you haven't already done so, open the firewall advanced settings>Ports and Protocols, and check to see that file sharing is enabled.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:00 AM
  •  Hellb408 wrote:
    I figured out my problem myself....I went to msconfig and it was disable on my start up and thats what was preventing me from turning it on.  I enabled it there restarted now im 100% again. 

I'm glad you solved it, but I have to wonder what caused it to be disabled in msconfig's list...

-steve

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 4:13 PM
  • Listen..   this OneCare is a complete piece of ***.... everytime I turn around I have to allow this program to access the Internet..... and its the same <deleted> program.....!!!!!  so I am always having to re-boot my computer to get it to download content....  I have had this *** for almost 1 year now... and believe me... I am going to something else....  what a pain in the ***......  microsoft might think its got the market on everything but as usual it has to put out at least 2 patches before it gets it right so <deleted>.......................

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:52 AM
  •  Bearface wrote:
    Listen..   this OneCare is a complete piece of ***.... everytime I turn around I have to allow this program to access the Internet..... and its the same <deleted> program.....!!!!!  so I am always having to re-boot my computer to get it to download content....  I have had this *** for almost 1 year now... and believe me... I am going to something else....  what a pain in the ***......  microsoft might think its got the market on everything but as usual it has to put out at least 2 patches before it gets it right so <deleted>.......................

Clearly, you've got a problem on your system. OneCare is not perfect, but there are very few reports to match your experience.

Feel free to use a different security suite or contact support for help in fixing your installation.

-steve

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:33 PM