none
SyncToy 2.1 very slow on folders with lots of files RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to synchronize two folders that contain many thousands of files and about 50GB of data.  This is on Windows XP SP3 with SyncToy 2.1.

It seems to be taking a very long time on some subfolders--more than an hour on one subfolder that has about 1,000 files in it.

Is there a quadratic algorithm lurking in SyncToy somewhere?  Is there any easy way to tell if something is outright broken?
    Friday, January 1, 2010 4:54 PM

All replies

• Follow-up:  The synchronization run eventually finished.  It took many hours -- probably longer than it would have taken to copy all the data without any comparisons.  Re-running SyncToy afterwards was reasonably fast.

So I think there must be a performance bug that shows up only during initial synchronizations, and would appreciate any more information that anyone can provide.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 5:31 PM
  • I have exactly same issue. It takes forever to sync deep directories with a lot of small files.
    Welcome to help me with my open source project at http://code.google.com/p/batch-image-watermark-processor/
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 1:50 PM
  • I have same problem on my 64 bit Vista machine.  I'm trying to sync an external drive with 300GB data to a mass storage device, for backup purposes.  SyncToy 2.1 runs fast at the start (can see files cycling by), then slows to almost a halt - it has now been running for 4 DAYS!!  Anyone have an idea of why, and what can be done to speed it up?
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:33 PM
  • I have discovered that SynToy 2.1 has some very serious problems.  See the thread:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/synctoy/thread/5522ddbc-2fdf-4c16-8d0b-0ffb4297673c

This is a long thread, with lots of good testing, and problems surfacing not only in performance, but also in creating duplicate files in the copy, and other issues of poor sync. 

These are bad enough for me that I will stop using SyncToy immediately, and switch to another sync program, probably Robocopy.

Fred Teg
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:25 PM