Some questions about some of the new HPC 2008 functionalities RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I have been looking at the Simple Api and have some doubts regarding the following functionalities:
        Batch Normally scheduled job.
        Broker Service router job.
        Service Application integration job.
    - What are these types of jobs? How to use them?

- job.EndpoitAddresses (used only by service jobs)
    "Retrieves the unique network addresses that a client uses to communicate with a service endpoint."
    What is this for?

- job.JobTemplate
    "Retrieves or sets the template to use for the service job."
    What type of stuff can i define on the job templates? Is this the same as the job templates on CCS (where we would use an xml structure to define the job all the job properties?)

- node.NodeGroups / job.NodeGroups
    "Defines a node group."
    What are they for and what can i do with them?

- job.UnitType
    "Determines whether cores, nodes, or sockets are used to allocate resources for the job."
    Can anybody clarify this for me?

- And, finally, what are the CreateFilterCollection, CreateIntCollection and CreateStringCollection scheduler methods for?

Can somebody explain them to me (or point me to the correct documentation? In some cases the SDK documentation is a little vague).

Code examples would be very appreciated :o)

Thanks in advance,
    Luís Silva
    Friday, July 4, 2008 12:09 AM

Answers

• HPC v2 now suppports the HPC Basic Profile (HPCBP) of the Open Grid Forum. The Basic Profile defines a web service for execution of jobs on the grid. job.EndpointAddresses is how a submitted job is known in the HPCBP. It is its 'handle'

NodeGroups is a method of associating a subset of nodes together so that jobs run on only certain nodes in the cluster. The HPC Cluster Manager allows you to create a Node Group and add nodes to it. As an example, this could be used to run jobs on machines that had special software installed or belonged to a certain department.

node.NodeGroups is the list of groups this node belongs to.
    job.NodeGroups is the list of groups that a machine must be a member of to run the job.

When you run a job, you can say that you need 5 machines (nodes) or 4 sockets (processor dies), or 10 cores to run a job. UnitType tells the scheduler which you want.

The Create*Collection methods are used to allocate the specified collections for use in other methods (such as getNodeList).
    Friday, July 25, 2008 12:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Luis,

A few resources for your review:

1.  See the job scheduler and WCF broker presentations at http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/the_hpc_show.

2.  See the 'Getting Started Guide' and the 'Sample WCF Service' downloads at http://connect.microsoft.com, register for the 'windows hpc server 2008 beta' program.

3.  See the 'resources' folder at http://windowshpc.net where there a few zip files with scheduler API sample codes.

http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/the_hpc_show
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:16 PM
  • HPC v2 now suppports the HPC Basic Profile (HPCBP) of the Open Grid Forum. The Basic Profile defines a web service for execution of jobs on the grid. job.EndpointAddresses is how a submitted job is known in the HPCBP. It is its 'handle'

NodeGroups is a method of associating a subset of nodes together so that jobs run on only certain nodes in the cluster. The HPC Cluster Manager allows you to create a Node Group and add nodes to it. As an example, this could be used to run jobs on machines that had special software installed or belonged to a certain department.

node.NodeGroups is the list of groups this node belongs to.
    job.NodeGroups is the list of groups that a machine must be a member of to run the job.

When you run a job, you can say that you need 5 machines (nodes) or 4 sockets (processor dies), or 10 cores to run a job. UnitType tells the scheduler which you want.

The Create*Collection methods are used to allocate the specified collections for use in other methods (such as getNodeList).
    Friday, July 25, 2008 12:51 PM