none
Passing MCPD certification exams utilizing only self-study books RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am wondering if anyone has passed all the exams for the MCPD Certification utilizing only self-study via books and online resources? 

How much studying do you put in to pass the exams?

The reason for this question is that I am investigating training programs and weighing that choice versus studying on my own. 

Thank you.

• Split by Mr. WhartyModerator Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:31 AM OP added question to a post already answered so splitting so they get better assistance
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:16 PM

Answers

• Hi, I am wondering if anyone has passed all the exams for the MCPD Certification utilizing only self-study via books and online resources? 

The reason for this question is that I am investigating training programs and weighing that choice versus studying on my own. 

Thank you.

You really need some hands-on-experience with the technology (by hands-on I mean working with the technology day-by-day, not just using a training kit and online resources) to pass the exams related to this certification track.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:31 PM

I have passed all the exams (on Framewrok 2.0, 3.5 and 4.0) by using only self-study materials, mainly the MSDN library.

However, as Jeff noted, you need hands-on experience. In my particular case, I've been developing software for more than 30 years, and using .NET from the first beta versions somewhere around 2001. For this reason, it didn't take much studying in my case, only a few hours per exam. Most people will find that they need a substantially larger amount of time to prepare one of these exams.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 8:11 AM

All replies

• I am wondering how easy it was for someone to pass the exams with only the self-training kits and online resources?  I am weighing this option versus a "boot camp training" and wondering which would be better for me.

Thanks!

• Split by Mr. WhartyModerator Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:34 AM OP added question to a post already answered so splitting this out and then merging wiith their other question so they get better assistance
    • Merged by Mr. WhartyModerator Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:39 AM Duplicate
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:18 PM

Thank you.

You really need some hands-on-experience with the technology (by hands-on I mean working with the technology day-by-day, not just using a training kit and online resources) to pass the exams related to this certification track.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:31 PM

I have passed all the exams (on Framewrok 2.0, 3.5 and 4.0) by using only self-study materials, mainly the MSDN library.

However, as Jeff noted, you need hands-on experience. In my particular case, I've been developing software for more than 30 years, and using .NET from the first beta versions somewhere around 2001. For this reason, it didn't take much studying in my case, only a few hours per exam. Most people will find that they need a substantially larger amount of time to prepare one of these exams.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 8:11 AM