WHS11 Workgroup Settings RRS feed

• Question

• I don't like using "Workgroup" for my Workgroup name and wish to change it. I can change it in all the other OS's, but cannot seem to find it in WHS11.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

de Oppresso Liber

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:40 PM

Answers

• Here is the offical way to change workgroup names in WHS 2011.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4127.how-to-change-a-workgroup-name-on-windows-home-server-2011-and-windows-storage-server-2011-r2-essentials-en-us.aspx

Greg ...

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:09 PM

All replies

• Addendum... Looks like the Certificate Authority Service is running which prevents changing computer identification.

Is there a way to turn this off, change it and turn it back on again - or set the workgroup name from the get go?

de Oppresso Liber

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Here is the offical way to change workgroup names in WHS 2011.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4127.how-to-change-a-workgroup-name-on-windows-home-server-2011-and-windows-storage-server-2011-r2-essentials-en-us.aspx

Greg ...

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:09 PM
  • You run the risk of screwing things up by trying to change the name and leaving it as it is has no adverse effect on functionality!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:17 AM
  • No adverse effect except...

What if you have two Home Server networks on the same physical network and you want to keep them (mostly) separate.  Is it not better to have two workgroups?  I would love to have a DNS server, but for only 8 boxes on two networks it doesn't make sense!

I have had an occasion where a friend came in with his tablet, which he had set up to access his own network.  After doing some work on my network including a number of reboots, his tablet became the master browser.  He left and I started to have connectivity issues until I figured it out!   

I then changed my network name and never had that problem again! 

Greg

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:40 AM
  • No adverse effect except...

What if you have two Home Server networks on the same physical network and you want to keep them (mostly) separate.  Is it not better to have two workgroups?  I would love to have a DNS server, but for only 8 boxes on two networks it doesn't make sense!

I have had an occasion where a friend came in with his tablet, which he had set up to access his own network.  After doing some work on my network including a number of reboots, his tablet became the master browser.  He left and I started to have connectivity issues until I figured it out!   

I then changed my network name and never had that problem again! 

Greg

That's exactly what I have (2 x WHS2011 servers) and have never had a problem, even when I introduced a Server 2012 Essentials machine!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:34 AM
  • Thank you that worked great!

de Oppresso Liber

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:35 AM
  • Still playing around - found this: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/whsvailbeta/thread/9562b42c-a252-4c96-8e3d-c2ebbef35275

de Oppresso Liber

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:26 AM
  • have you tested that your IIS is still working?

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:56 AM
  • Phil, you shouldn't have problems introducing a Server Essentials 2012 (or 2011) machine because both come with AD and give you the opportunity to set up a local domain name.  With AD and DNS you don't need NETBios to find  your machines.  Without AD you either have to set up your own DNS or use a "hosts" file or live with NETBios.

I may be wrong on all this, but that is my understanding.

I seriously thought about purchasing Server Essentials 2011 instead of WHS 2011, but the difference in price was $50 vs $500.  Server Essentials gives me everything I need in WHS (file server and backup service) plus the added benefit of domain logon.  I may still go this way if I cannot get WHS 2011 working the way I want it to work!

Greg
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:01 PM
  • I just set up remote access to my server and yes, IIS is still working.  This is not something I normally use, but it does appear to work without any certificate errors!

Greg

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:41 PM
  • I just set up remote access to my server and yes, IIS is still working.  This is not something I normally use, but it does appear to work without any certificate errors!

Greg

Good!

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:06 PM