OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows.

1. XP Home

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering? No

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering? yes emachines

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

Emachines T3092
    Windows Update Error
    0x80070005

Had to do a repair of the emachine.  The disk was missing or never recvd - friend was not sure.  Used a win home xp sp2 cd full version system builder (mine) and his key on the back of his machine.  When he put in the key he used caps. I called customer service they had me put the generated number in to activate. After that was done a star showed in the sys tray. Went to microsoft site to validate, star disappeared.  Got error when i tried to use win update.  Got to end of the download of win installer - would fail each time. After research downloaded the validation diag utility.  Ran it and it said everything validated. Submitted to tech support yesterday morning.
    Today I noticed when i turned automatic updates on - automatic updates worked - just windows updates website is not working for me

• Edited by gigigirrl Friday, September 19, 2008 6:58 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 6:33 PM

Answers

•  gigigirrl,

I will address your questions/comments, one at a time.

1. Not to worry, I understand your frustration.

2. If your computer was hand built, meaning put together by acquiring parts, then this is not technically the responsibility of eMachines. Just to clarify, eMachines is an Original Equipment Manufacturer, meaning that they mass produce computers and put on software like Operating System software and trial software. So let's start here. Did you build this by hand, and perhaps used parts from an old eMachine computer? OR did eMachines make/build your computer? This matters because of the relationship between XP and your hardware (your eMachine)....

3. If you built your machine by hand, using a variety of parts, then installed using your OEM System builders copy of XP, then yes, to reinstall the system, you need to use the OEM System Builder cd media.

4. If your machine is OEM, as in the company eMachines built your machine, then you may want to look up their website and look up your model number, and look for downloads. Information about recovery media may be listed there, and not supported by eMachines telephone support. You'd be looking for how to obtain the recovery media.

5. Not to be picky, but I will need you to re-run the diag, and copy and paste the FULL Text altogether in 1 Post. I'm glad you added the missing XML information, but I need it as it is shown at the end of the results altogether for me to properly analyze it. I hope your with this.

6. A Retail copy of Windows XP would make your life a lot easier. Full Version Retail copies can be uninstalled from a PC and reinstalled on a new machine. Only 1 copy can be used at a time. You can't run two machines at the same time with 1 copy.

7. Software Licensing - if an OEM like Gateway, Dell, or Lenovo mass produces machines, then the operating system recovery media will have to be supplied by the company for however long they support that particular model of machine. I was only aware of Gateway only supporting mass produced models for the last few years (I'm not 100% sure how long the time frame is for, honestly). I'll have to keep eMachines in mind after reading your last post that they have a similar practice. Thanks for the information!

Thank you for your continued participation.

Rick, MS

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Monday, September 22, 2008 3:31 PM
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 9:43 PM
  • gigigirrl,

Here is some text from your Diag Report:

Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2153944-72824
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder

The two do not match. OEM Key (Computer B) with the license type being OEM System Builder (Computer A's License). The short answer: He will need to purchase a new copy of XP if he cannot obtain recovery media because it is too old.

My apologies for the not-so-good news. Also, keep in mind you may or may not end up with Validation Issues now. Chances are really slim because you didn't use your product key, but you did use your System Builder disk. Your OEM System Builder media is for the machine you installed it on only.

I hope this information helps.

Rick, MS
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:30 PM
  •  Hey Gigigirrl,

Rick and I work together. Your best bet is following the guidance he just posted. Call the appropriate number for your geographical location and explain your friends situation. You may be able to get a system builder's disc.  I must say this is out of our support scope and I can not confirm this informationn whatsoever. Also Gigirrl I would like to provide information explaining the different Windows versions. Maybe this will provide a more in-depth explaination as why your OEM System Builder would not work on his EMachine which had an OEM SLP Bits installed. 

Windows Operating Systems are available in:  OEM-SLP, OEM (System builder/COA), Retail User, and Volume Licensing Key (VLK) versions. In turn each version will have their own End User Licensing Agreements (EULA’s).   Below are brief descriptions to help you understand more.   

1. OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

PID format: XXXXX-OEM-XX119XX-XXXXX

1. OEM (System builder/COA): OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for Vista.  A major limitation is that the license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) states it is not permitted to be moved to any another computer.  One does not "lose their license" for XP if the motherboard becomes defective and has to be replaced.  If the computer owner chooses to use, or because of availability is forced to use, a board that is not a direct or identical replacement, there has to be a mechanism to accommodate these circumstances, and that is why a telephonic activation is authorized. To read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.

Systems must be activated within 30 days of installation. After a 30 day grace period, the user will be not able to login to system without activation.

PID format: XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

1. Single Retail User License:  Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer. Each Windows Vista installation has a unique product key associated with it.  System must be activated within 30 days of installation. After a 30 day grace period, the user will not be able to login to system without activation.

1. Volume License Key (VLK): The Volume license is type of license, where each VLK customer will be given a single product key and they can use this key to install Windows Vista on multiple computers. No Activation is required. Hardware requirements are not verified. 

PID format: XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-23XXX and XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-45XXX

As a rule, VLK editions of an Operating System should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Vista are Upgrade Licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Take care Gigigirrl,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:29 PM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:29 PM

All replies

• gigigirrl,

Two questions, first, the OEM System builder copy you are using, is that ONLY on your machine, because it can only validate one 1 PC. And my second question is, did you copy and past the whole section of the diagnostic, because part of it is missing (The XML blob at the bottom)?

OEM machines have the license of the copy of XP tied to the Motherboard. Usually replacement media can be obtained through eMachines for pretty cheap. Then you would use that and the coa on the box to activate.

SO - if you did not post the XML Blob, send it to me. Otherwise, the below would apply to your case.

This is an issue with your XML services on the computer.  If you compare your Diagnostic Report to others on the forum, you will notice that yours is missing a bunch of text below a title that would be "File Scan Data" line at the end of your diag results. We commonly refer to this area as the XML blob. This is caused by a missing Registry Key and is most likely why the Product Key Update Tool did not work.

I will provide you the steps to resolve this XML issue, but I strongly suggest waiting for the Windows XP disk, that we have sent you, and conduct a clean install.

Fix (Part 1):

1) Click the Start button, and then Run

2) Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll 

Click OK

(Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument will be generated)

If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below Fix (Part 2), in that case.

Fix (Part 2):

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at: 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en

2) From the files available, download msxml3.msi

3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.

4) Click Start button, and then Run

5) Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll 

6) Click OK

So you kind of have two things happening at this point. You need your original copy of XP, the OEM copy, put back on your machine, and your missing your XML blob. How do you want to proceed?

Rick
    Friday, September 19, 2008 9:48 PM
  • is this what you meant 

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-</PKey><PID>*****-OEM-*******-*****</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-437358612-1300511416-3645676026</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System Manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>TCB426G</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040330000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>07233A9F0184A07F</HWID><UserLCID>0409
    </UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>eMachines</name><model>T3092
    </model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val></Val><Hash>=</Hash><Pid>70141-051-5822657-56053</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

• Edited by gigigirrl Saturday, September 20, 2008 1:06 AM
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 1:06 AM
  • BTW I checked with Emachines before all of this- and I just called to verify - according to 3 separate customer service reps any computer made before 2005 does not get a disk.  They do not keep inventory that long.  This particular model is considered out of date.  The only cd I had was a builder version - would it be better to use a retail version.  Or are people with older computer just screwed.  And yes my computer is hand built.  It was built 2 and half years ago, I think.  That system builder disk belongs to it. I have only ever used the coa with that system builder disk to validate my machine.

Now I have a question here. You said
    "the OEM System builder copy you are using, is that ONLY on your machine, because it can only validate one 1 PC"  do you mean the coa or the actual disk.  So i can never use the repair mode of xp using my system builder disk to repair another machine that no longer has its software copy but still has its coa. Am I understanding you correctly?

So back to my original thought here.  I am going to list your quote
    "So you kind of have two things happening at this point. You need your original copy of XP, the OEM copy, put back on your machine, and your missing your XML blob. How do you want to proceed?"

If I cannot get a copy from Emachines - in no uncertain terms they have said that there are no original xp copies oem copies for machines made 2005 and earlier. This one is 2004.  How do I proceed?  Not to be rude just frustrated

Saturday, September 20, 2008 1:25 AM
  •  gigigirrl,

I will address your questions/comments, one at a time.

1. Not to worry, I understand your frustration.

2. If your computer was hand built, meaning put together by acquiring parts, then this is not technically the responsibility of eMachines. Just to clarify, eMachines is an Original Equipment Manufacturer, meaning that they mass produce computers and put on software like Operating System software and trial software. So let's start here. Did you build this by hand, and perhaps used parts from an old eMachine computer? OR did eMachines make/build your computer? This matters because of the relationship between XP and your hardware (your eMachine)....

3. If you built your machine by hand, using a variety of parts, then installed using your OEM System builders copy of XP, then yes, to reinstall the system, you need to use the OEM System Builder cd media.

4. If your machine is OEM, as in the company eMachines built your machine, then you may want to look up their website and look up your model number, and look for downloads. Information about recovery media may be listed there, and not supported by eMachines telephone support. You'd be looking for how to obtain the recovery media.

5. Not to be picky, but I will need you to re-run the diag, and copy and paste the FULL Text altogether in 1 Post. I'm glad you added the missing XML information, but I need it as it is shown at the end of the results altogether for me to properly analyze it. I hope your with this.

6. A Retail copy of Windows XP would make your life a lot easier. Full Version Retail copies can be uninstalled from a PC and reinstalled on a new machine. Only 1 copy can be used at a time. You can't run two machines at the same time with 1 copy.

7. Software Licensing - if an OEM like Gateway, Dell, or Lenovo mass produces machines, then the operating system recovery media will have to be supplied by the company for however long they support that particular model of machine. I was only aware of Gateway only supporting mass produced models for the last few years (I'm not 100% sure how long the time frame is for, honestly). I'll have to keep eMachines in mind after reading your last post that they have a similar practice. Thanks for the information!

Thank you for your continued participation.

Rick, MS

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Monday, September 22, 2008 3:31 PM
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 9:43 PM
  • 8. One more thing I forgot to mention, OEM System Builder's copies can only be used on the machine it is installed on. It can't be moved to another machine. If the motherboard dies, then you replace the motherboard, it may require telephone activation. However it still has to be on the same machine.

Rick, MS
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 9:46 PM
  • mistake in submission

• Edited by gigigirrl Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:25 PM
  •  

I will try to be more clear.

Computer A is my computer. Hand built by me with components ordered mostly from Newegg.  I am a computer tech and I enjoy building pc's.  I installed a system builder home xp os on Computer A - I built it I think about 2 and half years ago.  Not exact about the date.

Computer B belongs to my friend.  It is an Emachine.  My friend does not have a windows xp home disk.  He cannot find it or never recieved it.  We have contacted emachines - they do not sell a cd for this machine it is considered to old.  It was built in 2004. They do not keep the inventory past 2005.  SO there is no way to get an original xp copy.  However there is still the COA on the back of his system, Computer B.

Now he had several problems on Computer B we needed to do a windows repair without using Windows Recovery Console.  The disk I used to repair Computer B was the disk from Computer A.  The COA was from Computer B.  It was just a repair, it still had all the files from Emachine when the repair was done.  I was not moving anything.  I just needed a disk to repair windows files.

The error code is on Computer B.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-
    Windows Product Key Hash: Q0gOEtVXJ0TwBwZirEdZE26yq1w=
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {2EAA6313-78F1-4E81-AB75-879B59027CAA}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2EAA6313-78F1-4E81-AB75-879B59027CAA}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2153944-72824</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-437358612-1300511416-3645676026</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System Manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>TCB426G</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040330000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>07233A9F0184A07F</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>eMachines</name><model>T3092</model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>87D29486ED41866</Val><Hash>O58Sz2qfKr3SN7yxMD5/cfVqggE=</Hash><Pid>70141-051-5822657-56053</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:26 PM
  • gigigirrl,

Here is some text from your Diag Report:

The two do not match. OEM Key (Computer B) with the license type being OEM System Builder (Computer A's License). The short answer: He will need to purchase a new copy of XP if he cannot obtain recovery media because it is too old.

My apologies for the not-so-good news. Also, keep in mind you may or may not end up with Validation Issues now. Chances are really slim because you didn't use your product key, but you did use your System Builder disk. Your OEM System Builder media is for the machine you installed it on only.

I hope this information helps.

Rick, MS
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:30 PM
  • gigigirrl,

Periodically Microsoft customers have misplaced discs of a purchased program and inquire about replacements.  The following Knowledge Base (KB) article is entitled “How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs and product upgrades, or replace product manuals.” It describes how to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, product upgrades, and product manuals. The Microsoft Supplemental Parts team is available to help customers in North America who need any of the following:

Replacements for Microsoft software or hardware

Service packs on CD

Product upgrades

Replacement product manuals

Please review the KB article in its entirety ensuring you are eligible for replacing the product in question.

It can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326246,

If your XP Pro CD was a system builder/OEM CD, request a replacement from your system builder.  If they cannot help, order a replacement from Microsoft.

United States and Canada:

https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/start.om?StoreID=B19F4CE9-DFCB-44E4-9ABE-1C9DFBAD47D0&NewTrans=1localecode=en-us

(https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/start.om?StoreID=B19F4CE9-DFCB-44E4-9ABE-1C9DFBAD47D0&NewTrans=1&localecode=en-us)

Europe, Middle East, Africa:

https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/start.om?StoreID=30B288C0-52A6-4AA4-A2BC-2B60DDA37DB1&NewTrans=1&localecode=en-us

Asia-Pacific: 

https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/start.om?StoreID=3D264FB4-A497-4C00-8180-2BB3C548B55B&NewTrans=1&localecode=en-us

Latin America or South America:

https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/start.om?StoreID=733F8F42-707E-4045-9243-A5E655A6041B&NewTrans=1&localecode=en-us

[v1] Also if you have lost, broken, or misplaced your original Microsoft Office or Microsoft Publisher installation CD, you can order replacement media from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302822/en-us

I hope this information helps a little more.

Rick

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:04 PM
  •  Hey Gigigirrl,

Rick and I work together. Your best bet is following the guidance he just posted. Call the appropriate number for your geographical location and explain your friends situation. You may be able to get a system builder's disc.  I must say this is out of our support scope and I can not confirm this informationn whatsoever. Also Gigirrl I would like to provide information explaining the different Windows versions. Maybe this will provide a more in-depth explaination as why your OEM System Builder would not work on his EMachine which had an OEM SLP Bits installed. 

Windows Operating Systems are available in:  OEM-SLP, OEM (System builder/COA), Retail User, and Volume Licensing Key (VLK) versions. In turn each version will have their own End User Licensing Agreements (EULA’s).   Below are brief descriptions to help you understand more.   

1. OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

PID format: XXXXX-OEM-XX119XX-XXXXX

1. OEM (System builder/COA): OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for Vista.  A major limitation is that the license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) states it is not permitted to be moved to any another computer.  One does not "lose their license" for XP if the motherboard becomes defective and has to be replaced.  If the computer owner chooses to use, or because of availability is forced to use, a board that is not a direct or identical replacement, there has to be a mechanism to accommodate these circumstances, and that is why a telephonic activation is authorized. To read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.

Systems must be activated within 30 days of installation. After a 30 day grace period, the user will be not able to login to system without activation.

PID format: XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

1. Single Retail User License:  Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer. Each Windows Vista installation has a unique product key associated with it.  System must be activated within 30 days of installation. After a 30 day grace period, the user will not be able to login to system without activation.

1. Volume License Key (VLK): The Volume license is type of license, where each VLK customer will be given a single product key and they can use this key to install Windows Vista on multiple computers. No Activation is required. Hardware requirements are not verified. 

PID format: XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-23XXX and XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-45XXX

As a rule, VLK editions of an Operating System should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Vista are Upgrade Licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Take care Gigigirrl,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:29 PM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:29 PM