Exception during preview: The FileSyncProvider failed while dectecing changes. RRS feed

• Question

• Running Vista Business 32-bit and SyncToy 2.0 (2.0.100.0). Trying to Contribute sync from a mapped network drive (Snap Server) to a locally attached USB external harddrive. Same setup worked before I had to format and reinstall Vista.

From the log:

SYNC: 12/18/2008 08:44:42:488: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
     System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes.

Server stack trace:
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.Interop.FileSyncProviderClass.DetectChanges()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.DetectChanges()
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChangesOnProvider(FileSyncProvider syncProvider, String replicaRootPath)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChanges.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Preview()
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 12/18/2008 08:44:42:488: *** Exception during preview: The FileSyncProvider failed while detecting changes.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi -

Did you try recreating the folder pair?

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:40 AM
  • I know you didn't ask me, but I'm experiencing the same error (on the same setup: vista business 32bit and SyncToy 2.0.100.0) and wanted to weigh in.

I did recreate the folder pair, and it yielded the same exception.

My folder pair is set as "Contribute", and both paths contain spaces (it's the "iTunes Music" folder).

I appreciate your time with this,
      -- /v\atthew

Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:18 AM
  • I recreated the folder pair, same result. I tried it on Vista and XP, same result. Using the verbose log and progress bar, I tracked the problem down to a corrupted folder on the source "left" side. It kept hanging at the same point, and when I navigated to that folder, I found that I was unable to open or delete it.

The only solution I could think of was to manually backup everything else, run chkdsk, format the drive, and start over.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:36 PM
  • Same error for me except that I am running XP SP3 32bit.
    Trying to sync a folder on a windows home server with a USB flash drive.

Synctoy scans up to differerant folders each time but never makes it to the file moving stage.

Rebooting the Home Server and trying again was the only way to resolve this error for me.
    Staple Bench Computers
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Hi,

SyncToy 2.0/2.1 needs to create a hidden “SyncToy_*.dat” file in each of the 2 sync folders. Would you please help us to check if these hidden files have been created in each folder? Did SyncToy have enough permission to created files in each sync folder? Had your USB devices been set as real-only?

Additionally, SyncToy also needs to create some files in its installation folders. So you will need to make sure SyncToy is running with enough permission to create, write and access these files.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:32 AM
  • Repairing ProviderServices-v2.0-x86-ENU.msi solves the problem.

Friday, January 14, 2011 10:19 AM