Need to to stress importance of balancing files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been slotting in hard drives into my home server install, working with the limitations of 4 x IDE slots to copy files into the storage pool, then removing smaller drives and then replacing them with newly emptied larger drives. Keeping my files and media in one piece was paramount but due to space concerns I needed to disable folder duplication.

After a few powerdowns, swaps of drives, and more file copying, I achieved my ideal setup with largest drives sitting in place, but my 350gb of files has now being reported back as just 80gb.

After all the warnings and reports saying that none of the shared files and backups were going to be deleted, every time I swapped a drive for another, I kept loosing a whole chunk of data with no warning or notification.

Should I have left the balancing process to complete before removing a drive?

If so then the removal of drives function should be locked untill balancing is totally completed to prevent this from happening to other customers. I'm not very happy about it but I hope something can be done now while in RC stage.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:29 PM

All replies

• Looks like a known issue, see this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1838111&SiteID=50

Tom Z. wrote "This is an issue that was brought to our attention post RC, and per the Dev team this should be fixed in the RTM release."

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:12 PM
  •  JordanG wrote:

Should I have left the balancing process to complete before removing a drive?

Since WHS RC is a still beta product, you DID have backups of everything, right? I've never had to remove drives but I would think that if you didn't let them balance before pulling them, you deleted your own files.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:15 PM
  • No, I didnt have backups. and Yes, I do understand it was my fault. I'm not blaming anyone. As I entered the testing as a simple home user there are a lot of things you cant expect the general target audience to understand is their own fault. To properly ensure the onus remains with the user warnings, documentations and help files to allow them to make an informed deision. Better still prevention is needed where possible to actively prevent silly errors from happening.

In my case a home user will argue to the death that "their" logic is more "logical" than yours, because they wouldnt be automatically compensating for the deeper mechanisms going on behind the scenes.

I would love to see a slightly more informative storage interface. I'd like to see little pixels of data being shuffled around the pie-chart image, and maybe some images representing the installed hard drives to "see" the balancing process at work. Helps to understand whats happening in there.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:44 PM
  •  JordanG wrote:

No, I didnt have backups. and Yes, I do understand it was my fault. I'm not blaming anyone. As I entered the testing as a simple home user there are a lot of things you cant expect the general target audience to understand is their own fault. To properly ensure the onus remains with the user warnings, documentations and help files to allow them to make an informed deision. Better still prevention is needed where possible to actively prevent silly errors from happening.

In my case a home user will argue to the death that "their" logic is more "logical" than yours, because they wouldnt be automatically compensating for the deeper mechanisms going on behind the scenes.

I would love to see a slightly more informative storage interface. I'd like to see little pixels of data being shuffled around the pie-chart image, and maybe some images representing the installed hard drives to "see" the balancing process at work. Helps to understand whats happening in there.

Well, as you know, it is supposed to be fixed in RTM so something has been done. Wink

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:58 PM